Wedding coordinator overcharging

Hello guys,

I have been dealing with this coordinator that is located in Jamaiaca. I gave her my budge of 5,000 and she submitted a wedding quote back to me for 9,800. Here is the confusion she added 20% ,which is her fee, to every item I requested even the food which the location is providing. Then she added a miscellanous which included accomm, labor and etc.. I have never heard of charging a fee like that plus 20% is extremely high in my opinoin. But I have been in touch with Jamaica elegant weddings and Jai, she is in Negril, from exclusive weddings who both can accomodate my budget. This other lady is a total rip off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorord1 View Post
Hello guys,
I have been dealing with this coordinator that is located in Jamaiaca. I gave her my budge of 5,000 and she submitted a wedding quote back to me for 9,800. Here is the confusion she added 20% ,which is her fee, to every item I requested even the food which the location is providing. Then she added a miscellanous which included accomm, labor and etc.. I have never heard of charging a fee like that plus 20% is extremely high in my opinoin. But I have been in touch with Jamaica elegant weddings and Jai, she is in Negril, from exclusive weddings who both can accomodate my budget. This other lady is a total rip off.
Can I please ask the name of the person you are dealing with? I am working with a coordinator and I hope it is not the same one. The person I am working with is in Ocho Rios.

Quote:
Hello guys,
20%...wow! If the location is providing food, what's the reason for the mark-uphuh.gif

Quote:
Her company is Heleng events I believe she is located in Kingston. What company are you working with? Maybe I can contact them. Do they work in Negril?
I am working with Almarie Waters of Tropical Weddings Jamaica

Tropical Weddings Jamaica - Create Your Own Wedding Package in Jamaica

So far, she has been wonderful to work with!

Last night Dawn from Jamaica elegant weddings called me and she was able to work things out for me within my budget. Plus she was super nice on the phone and understood I was trying to stay within my budget. I am willing to go slightly over but not by almost $5,000! So I might just stick with her. I cant use Almarie because she only works out of Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. We are going to be in Negril.

• 2 months later...

Use Ari from Weddings in Negril or Jamaican Journeys - extraordinary woman, great, fair prices and others pale in comparison, she is based in Negril. I highly recommend her since our recent wedding April 1, 2010.

Quote:
Hello guys,
Hi Everyone,

I think when giving statements persons or people in general tend to leave out some factual information. I was not going to respond to this post but felt I needed to. Unlike other vendors who charge a package cost where you have no idea what their fee or mark up is or what the actual vendor cost is I state upfront what my fee is. Further what this person neglected to state was what services they requested and for how many people and also that this venue required staying on property to have your wedding there and that the requirement was waived. This quote was for 50 people for a private beach location for full sit down dinner with a bar and a cocktail menu with the following:

Details
Equipment and Furniture Rental- Tents, Chairs and Tables

Rental of tent
Rental of white plastic chairs to be covered for ceremony and reception area

Linens - Tablecloth, Overlays, Skirting, Napkins and Ties
Cover torch bases
Chair covers and ties

Catering and Bar Service
Reception food
Wedding Cake

PA System, DJ, Entertainment, Photography and Videography
Photographer (photographer would have also provided high res cd of wedding)
Videographer (for entire evening)
DJ for 3 hours and PA system for ceremony and reception

Flowers
Brides Bouquet
Maid/Matron of Honor Bouquet
Give Away Father, Bestman and Grooms Boutonniers
Skirting with lights for cake table
Decorated aisle with flower petals
Pew Ends
Centerpieces for guest tables (low arrangements)
Arrangements for head table
2 Large Floral arrangements for ceremony and reception area

©cor, Lighting and Accessories
Tiki Torches (for around tent, bar area, and perimeter)
Decorate ceremony signing table (decorated with flowers, foliage )
Decorate guest signing table ( floral and table cover)
Draping and decorating of headtables
Palm trees for ceremony and reception area
Fichus trees with lights
Miscellaneous (telephone, delivery of flowers, glassware etc. accomm, labour
:this was US$551 and this covers delivery and set up of all rentals including the tent, delivery of flowers etc
Paperwork, Invites, Programs, Tags etc.
Location Cost
Pastor and documents processing and marriage certificates

I know the quality of my work and the service I offer speak for itself and I do offer references to all clients and I do ask that persons state the facts when giving their opinions. I say this not only for myself but also when you are reviewing any other vendors.

Thanks much and have a great day.

Hi,

I have been dealing with Helen G Events for my wedding in Jamaica June 2011 and so far I have had a wonderful experience. Before I started working with her I requested references which was readily provided and have heard nothing but good responses and have seen other reviews online and they were all good.

What I have learned for requesting quotes from other planners and locations is this that Helen states upfront that she charges a fee, whatever it is but for everyone else they build it into the package cost or items so you are paying a fee anyway, itâ€s just that you donâ€t know how much. Further I have seen pictures in her event portfolio and from her references and the quality of her work cannot compare to anyone else so far the only décor that could compare its Tai Flora and they are way above my budget. Thirdly her response time and addressing all my concerns is phenomenal and for that I will pay anything. Fourthly I have heard horror stories are some of these very vendors being mentioned not being able to deliver come event day. Fifthly I am unable to go to Jamaica before my wedding and she has even done a table mock up for me with the centerpiece and linens I want free of charge and has emailed me the pictures also with alternate looks. This was invaluable. Other clients I have spoken to flew in to meet her and did their table settings and tastings free of charge and were happy. Some of us will get what we pay for, I have heard of centerpieces and décor being priced cheaply and when you see it, itâ€s a lot of cheap flowers and cheap looking linens being used. She goes in depth to even ask what type of flowers we donâ€t like etc.

As far as I am concerned her pricing has been fair based on what I want and based on the references and work and service I have received so far and I feel very confident about her and think its worth it and I know she will deliver come my wedding day. Her only issue is that she has been honest enough to state her fee upfront and even her contract states she doesnâ€t take kickbacks from vendors for referring their services or using them. For this I applaud her.

I have peace of mind. Thanks Helen G