my first vent: teaching

Hey, my post kinda made sense, even though I was practically knocked out! Good job, Martha!

I love Maria's response! She always knows how to get straight to the point. haha!

People think we have it easy....little do they know. We are many things to many children. And you are right, we often have to be mommy and daddy because they dont have a great support system at home.

During the school year, the children are in our care more hours than their parents...and, we don't have just 1, 2, or 3 children...we can have 25!

I am NOT complaining about my career choice...I love it. More money would be excellent, but at this point, we have made it this far w/o living in poverty and that in it's self is a great feat!

That guy really doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. I coordinate a program for science educators and work with about 80 teachers. I can't imagine another group of more dedicated, smart, caring individuals. Teaching is a great profession. I know it is exhausting but also so rewarding. Thank you for being a teacher!

I too am a 2nd grade teacher and hear that all the time. Anybody can be a teacher You get 10 sick days and the summers off and you dont even worka full day. what is that?

I get so tired of that comment. Theey dont understand what we go threw to teach these eggheaded kids.

First of all, OF COURSE it's a noble job. NEVER doubt yourself there!!!

Secondly - next time this moron says something, don't defend yourself. It'll just look like you were offended and he'll get a rise out of insulting you. Instead, say something along the lines of "It must be miserable to be you. Always having to insult people to feel better about yourself and the decisions you've made in life. I love my job. Not sure why that bothers you so much." I'm sure he'll be the one on the defensive side after that comment.

Wow I never realized there were so many 2nd grade teachers at the BDW! Add me to the list too! This is my first summer not teaching summer school (per my FI's request actually), and I get it all the time from friends, "Must be nice.....", etc. Every once in awhile I fire back. If they would just walk in our shoes for one week (which most would probably not even survive)...they would have a whole different opinion. In fact, when my FI was waiting to get hired by a PD, he substituted for awhile. He actually subbed for my class..which was the BEST thing ever for our relationship :) He was practically on his hands and knees praising me for being able to teach for a living. Then he said, and I quote, "I will NEVER give you a hard time about teaching again"...and he never has :)

People who make degrading comments like that are just plain ignorant. And the most frustrating part is that you cannot argue with an ignorant person because they are never going to "get it". AHHHH smile125.gif We feel your pain Martha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan101207 View Post
Wow I never realized there were so many 2nd grade teachers at the BDW! Add me to the list too! This is my first summer not teaching summer school (per my FI's request actually), and I get it all the time from friends, "Must be nice.....", etc. Every once in awhile I fire back. If they would just walk in our shoes for one week (which most would probably not even survive)...they would have a whole different opinion. In fact, when my FI was waiting to get hired by a PD, he substituted for awhile. He actually subbed for my class..which was the BEST thing ever for our relationship :) He was practically on his hands and knees praising me for being able to teach for a living. Then he said, and I quote, "I will NEVER give you a hard time about teaching again"...and he never has :)
People who make degrading comments like that are just plain ignorant. And the most frustrating part is that you cannot argue with an ignorant person because they are never going to "get it". AHHHH smile125.gif We feel your pain Martha.
i have been begging FI to come in but he has no desire to...he knows how difficult my job is, just like i know how difficult (and different) his is....he came in w/ me to pack up my class at the end of the year and was shocked at how much junk i have in the class to occupy the day (centers, library, etc.). now that im moving schools, i may make him come in tho...just to say hi...

i told FI that i expected an apology from the a$$hole, but he said not to hold my breath...to think about where the comment is coming from and ignore it...i said easier said than done.............................

i'll no longer be part of the 2nd grade teaching club here, as i'll be moving back up to 4th grade this year!