my first vent: teaching

so tonight, we went out for dinner to celebrate my FI's business partner's (dog's aunt's stepmom's, lol) 26th birthday...after a few drinks, he all of a sudden decides that it's 'pick on lauren' time. fine, i can blow most things off - until he asks, "so you chose to teach 2nd graders...what does that say about you? does that mean you're not smart enough to teach 6th graders?"

ok, this guy has a 6 year old son, who JUST HAPPENS TO BE A TROUBLEMAKER IN SCHOOL.....(not my school, tho)... has it occurred to him that the reason his child continuously disobeys the teacher is due to HIS OWN lack of respect for teachers?

so i respond with some smart ass remark about how he's a mortgage broker and not using his own college degree; what does it say about him? (no offense meant to anyone here, obviously my FI is a broker as well) and then i followed that with something to the effect of "it's people like me taking the time out to teach kids like your son" and then he starts saying crap about how he wouldn't want me teaching his kid, how teachers don't make money, they don't do anything, etc...and this isn't the first time he's started with me, last time it was about how i have summers and weekends off (which isn't true - this is the first summer that i have EVER not worked, and i bust my butt on the weekend to make up for not doing stuff during the week, incl. lesson plans), how i have the easier job from 9-3, etcetc.

now, i know that teaching is not considered a noble profession by most people....the old saying "those who can't, teach"?!?! but where the f*** would this A****** be today without teachers!??!?!!?!?!

sorry so long, it's a common argument that i have with people, but i'm not as tolerant with people i have to regularly socialize with.

That sucks!

I also teach 2nd grade and seriously this is the hardest job ever. No one ever believes me...but it is! We have to emotionally "well" everyday we are at school...we have to continue our own learning to get educated on new techniques, we have plan lessons, grade papers, sometimes act as the nurse, counselor, and principal.

I love my job and it is harder than my FI...and he blows up sh*t for a living.

Most days I am more emotionally drained that anything.

I took my sleeping pill an hour ago and should have been in bed 45 min ago....I am faaaaaaaaaaaaaaallig asleep, so if makes no sense, I correct in morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Martha View Post
I took my sleeping pill an hour ago and should have been in bed 45 min ago....I am faaaaaaaaaaaaaaallig asleep, so if makes no sense, I correct in morning.

that's been my summer - but taking them at like 2, 3 am!!!!!! wedding stuff on the brain....

i just changed districts - old district was one where parents thought i was day care...they dropped them off, and that was it...what happened in school stayed in school, they didn't want to know what was going on with their child, didn't care about anything....i've been told that it's my job to take care of xxx from 9 to 3:30, not the parent's. !!! i was mommy, daddy, doctor, nurse, policeman, teacher, friend, mentor, sometimes even grandma and grandpa (imagine how happy i was the first time a kid mistakenly called me grandma.....i'm 26...) these parents never bought stuff from fundraisers, joined the pto, or went out to vote for the budget because frankly, they didn't think or care if it affected them.

my new district is all "new money," a very wealthy district where the schools have everything they need, the moms stay at home and are very into doing homework and helping their kids...i'm welcoming the change b/c i'd like to be treated like a human being, especially a human being who has gone to school for years to make something of myself....

i don't understand how someone of the same generation could have such obnoxious (for lack of a better word) things to say about a teacher - esp. a person w/ a kid...now i know that sometimes teachers say things that parents don't agree with, or vice versa, but what kind of example are you setting if you say that the teacher is an idiot right in front of the kid?! and then follow that sentence with "oh, but kidx really liked her"...thanks for the support jacka$$....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .girl_werewolf.gif

I think I would have been tempted to tell him something to the effect that he should be grateful there are teachers like you preventing the turn-out more assholes like him on the the rest of society. Because *you* are teaching little fuckhead kids like his spoiled disrespectful brat how to properly behave with authority figures. And that in about 8 more years, you'll revisit this conversation with him at dinner again- at that time when his teenage son is telling him to fuck off and telling him what a complete dickhead father he is. and then you will smile because that will be the true reflection of what his parenting inability says about him!!!

What an absolutely dimwit!!! God, that just pisses me off to no end!!!! Just remember--- there's always someone in society who is going to open their mouths and prove their stupidity. That's why I prefer animals to humans...

Why would someone feel the need to insult teachers? Maybe he was a bad kid in school & was always in trouble with his teacher.

I do scientific research now, but I substitute taught junior high while in college. It was exausting! I think most people respect & value teachers so don't let this one guy upset you.

I don't think some people realize how much work teachers take home or events they attend after school or on weekends. The 2nd grade comment is absurd too. What a moron.

what an ahole! i'm so mad for you! teachers are the building blocks of our society! and with second grade you are influincing so much in these kids lives! that is the best time to set these kids on the right track. seriously he has some nerve telling you this crap. ugh. i would have wanted to punch him.

i always thought teachers worked short hours too. that was until my BFF became a elementary teacher. she works TONS! Summers, weekends, and long hours during the day too. Not to mention tutoring, summer camps, etc.

What a jerk! I've always wanted to teach, but my univ did not have a credentials program and I never went back. they make you run through hoops to get your credentials yet teachers never get the recognition (nor the $$$$) they deserve.

I envy you sad.gif

I have always wanted to be a teacher, especially the fact that I LOVE kids. However, #1 Teachers dont get paid nearly enough and #2 especially for some of the things they have to put up with some kids.

I have a problem with these sports figures getting paid millions and millions of dollar per year, and teachers salaries are so low, especially here in the south. Teachers are the ones that help instill the basics that help kids get through life. Especially to those kids whose parents sure don't take the time to do it.

Tell your FI's business partner that one of his teachers should have taught him some freakin manners! How rude. He's such a smile116.gif lol

What a d head!!

I have several friends that teach and I don't know how they do it. One teaches kindergarden and about 1/3 of her kids don't speak English. She has Spanish speakers, Hindi speakers, and an Urdu speaker. Like that a hole could go to a job like that and make any sort of progress.

Would he stay home and teach his crappy kid if there were no teachers?