Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I know mine was appraised for more than double the amount but a certain amount for engagement ring coverage is already in my home insurance, so I'm not paying anything extra. The amount covered is already double what he paid for the ring. I've also heard other people get coverage only for the amount they paid for the ring cause of the premiums cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does seem odd, as it sounds like the appraisal was the original one, provided when the ring was purchased. For us, I know that appraisal put the ring as worth more than DH paid. However, now 3 years later, when we switched insurance companies, they required a recent appraisal (I think within the last year). So the new appraisal states that the ring is worth less than what was paid for it, but again, it is 3--almost 4--years after it was purchased, so with inflation and all those fun factors, I can see how it would occur. But a recently purchased ring, with the appraisal at time of purchase, that just doesn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbmach View Post
I know mine was appraised for more than double the amount but a certain amount for engagement ring coverage is already in my home insurance, so I'm not paying anything extra. The amount covered is already double what he paid for the ring. I've also heard other people get coverage only for the amount they paid for the ring cause of the premiums cost.
My ring is insured on our homeowner's insurance and it doesn't costs that much to have it on there--it's worth it to replace it if anything happens. My insurance covers exactly what was written on the appraisal, which is why I'ms teamed over this because if it's a $1000 difference and something happens to my ring, then I'm not going to get as nice of a ring if it has to be replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by litl_april View Post
That does seem odd, as it sounds like the appraisal was the original one, provided when the ring was purchased. For us, I know that appraisal put the ring as worth more than DH paid. However, now 3 years later, when we switched insurance companies, they required a recent appraisal (I think within the last year). So the new appraisal states that the ring is worth less than what was paid for it, but again, it is 3--almost 4--years after it was purchased, so with inflation and all those fun factors, I can see how it would occur. But a recently purchased ring, with the appraisal at time of purchase, that just doesn't make sense.
My thoughts exactly "it doesn't make sense". This is the appraisal given by the jeweler who sold it when my FI bought it brand new. I can't wait to go there tomorrow and figure out what is up because if it is onlly worht what he appraised it for, he has some major explaining to do over the $1000 he ripped my FI off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney_b00 View Post
Lol I hear ya on taking it off & leaving it in places. I take mine off to put on lotion, etc. I used to take it off int he bathroom and leave it on top of the toilet, but then I left it there one day & learned my lesson! I guess this is why I'm so concerned about making sure it's insured for the correct amount.
I'm the same way! I take it off for lotion, to do the dishes, to wash my face/shower, and when I sleep. Even though my ring is insured, it's one of a kind and I would be devastated to lose it! But I just can't do those things with my ring on, so it's a dilemna...

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney_b00 View Post
Thanks! You too. Does it costs to have someone else appraise it?
Yes, there's usually a cost associated with appraising your ring. Sometimes the jeweler you bought it from will include a free appraisal in the price, but it sounds like you need an outside person to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess402 View Post
The appraisal should be for what the ring is actually worth, not necessarily what was paid. And I agree that you should insure your ring for what it is appraised at. However, as others have mentioned, usually the ring appraises higher than what was paid which means you got a good deal! Mine was bought at Costco and they guarantee it will be appraised at higher than what you pay. If the jeweller is saying that the ring is worth $1000 less than what he charged you, then he's got some explaining to do!
Agreed. An appraisal being less than the purchase price just shouldn't happen! You can only insure your ring for the appraisal price, not the purchase price, so it's definitely worth it for you to get another one. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I just had my ring appraised because we purchased it on Blue Nile. They were the only ones that had the ring that we wanted so we bought it. It was a great experience by the way! We took the ring to a GIA certified appraiser and she appraised the engagement ring and the wedding band. She took photos of both rings, evaluated the diamonds, and measured the diamonds, clarity, and color. The ring acutally appraised at almost twice what we paid for it. We paid $5300 for the set and the appraisal said $9238. Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabride2010 View Post
My ring is insured for a whole lot more than my FI paid for it. As far as I know that's the way it usually is. IT's actually insured for almost double what he paid for it because of the good deal he got on the diamond. Hope you get this sorted out...I'd be curious to hear others opinions!
My ring appraises for way more than the purchase price too-due to the great deal on the diamond my fiance got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by japonick View Post
Hi! I just had my ring appraised because we purchased it on Blue Nile. They were the only ones that had the ring that we wanted so we bought it. It was a great experience by the way! We took the ring to a GIA certified appraiser and she appraised the engagement ring and the wedding band. She took photos of both rings, evaluated the diamonds, and measured the diamonds, clarity, and color. The ring acutally appraised at almost twice what we paid for it. We paid $5300 for the set and the appraisal said $9238. Hope this helps!
Definitely helps me become more furious lol but no seriously, I appreciate all the feedback b/c everyone I have talked to has said it has appraised for at least what they paid, if not more. I have not spoken to one person who had their ring appraised for less than what they paid. Grrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you can get this thing sorted out!!

 

How long does it take to get a rind appraised? Do they have to keep it for a little while? I'd be nervous about leaving my ring with a stranger for a night!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi Brides! I have a Wally Bag - 66" available - $90 + shipping (US only) The wally bag typically sells for $120-$180. I used this gown bag once to transport my dress from MN to Mexico for our wedding - IT WAS PERFECT!   I was actually able to pack 4 additional maxi dresses, and my husband's wedding attire, plus a few pairs of shoes and some jewelry. I packed the dress the night before we left, and just moments before we left, I zipped the bag and folded it - ready for travel. It comes up with a nice over-the-shoulder strap, making it really easy to carry through the airports. No issues on Delta with the bag as my carry-on - I chose to put in the overhead bin, but the flight attendant did offer to hang it in the closet for me. Once we got to the resort, about 10 hours after I first folded the bag, I unpacked the bag and my dress was perfect - no wrinkles! My dress was mostly lace and had a bit of a train, but it arrived perfectly!  Honestly, this is the best way to travel with your dress! 
    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
  • Topics

×