New 2011 Riviera Maya Bride with location questions...need HELP

Hello ladies!!!

First I have to say that this is the best site ever and I'm so happy I found it.

I'm planning my wedding for June 11, 2011 in Riviera Maya and i've reading wedding reviews on this site for days now and can't decide what resort to choose.

I'm def using del sol photog for the wedding, so at least I have one thing picked out :)

Here are my options for the resort:

- I do want an ai, and i like more modern, new and stylish resorts, we also have a 15 mo old daughter that of course will be my flower girl -

Dreams Tulum

Grand Palladium

Aventura Spa

Royal Playa del Carmen

Excellence Playa del Carmen (is this an adult only?)

What do you think?

Do you recommend me getting an outside wedding planner as well?

What kind of outside resort activities did you girls do?

Thanks so much, and happy planning to us all

daniela

I know, too many good options, right? I had such a tough time picking a location also!

Bummer, but The Royal PDC is adults-only for sure, and I am pretty sure the Excellence PDC is as well.

If you are looking for a modern, new, stylish resort that allows kids you might be interested in Dreams Riviera Cancun (although Dreams Tulum also looks amazing and has such good reviews; it's just that DRC is brand new - just opened October 09) or maybe the Ocean Coral Turquesa by H10. In terms of decor, these are two that I recall being very stylish and contemporary when I was doing my research.

Good Luck :)

Picking the resort is THE hardest decision to make, in my opinion. Honestly, I started looking back in Septemer '09, and just picked a resort three weeks ago!

In the end, I told my TA what I was looking for (price, good food, good beach, service) and then had him list out his recommendations, and the pros and cons of each. He had only good things to say about Azul Beach, which cemented my decision.

Are you working with a travel agent? That might be a good place to start. Many times, they've either been to all the resorts you're interested in, or have had clients stay there, etc. There are tons of fabulous travel agents on this forum!

Good luck!!! I totally feel your pain wink.gif

You also might want to take into consideration the actual size of the resort. We stayed at the Palladium a couple years ago and LOVED it. However, keep in mind this is a "mega" resort versus smaller, more intimate resorts.

Also, do you want a sandy beach or a snorkel/rocky beach?

What about proximaty to the airport? The Pallidium/Tulum areas are a good 90 minute drive time from the resort.

There are so many options. Make a list of those ammenities that are important to you and maybe that will help narrow your search. Happy planning!!

So far, Excellence and Royal Playa Del Carmen are adults only! Royal PDC, is next to Gran Porto, its sister resort, which can take kids. Dreams Tulum is nice, except they can have 3 weddings at the same day and it is 2.5 hours away from the airport...so it takes for ever to get there.

As for the beach...it is the only place u cannot be sure, because they usually put new sands on the beach every year..and hurricanes sometimes help, otherwise, there is always erosion on the Mayan Riviera beach.

Well I just filled out a survey my TA gave me and she gave me a choice of about 3 different places and at that point the prettiest beach got me!! Well that and the fact that it has child activities. My little man is 6(will be 7 at the time of the wedding) so we wanted him to have plenty of things to do.

And I don't plan on using an outside planner only cause the ones from the resort already know all the ins and outs of everything.

Also there is really no group activities that i'm going to "plan" except for the welcome dinner. Other than that everybody can go when they please. cause I might not want to go snorkeling on a certain day or time. Nothing is mandatory except welcome dinner and wedding. lol

This is SUCH a tough decision. If you use a TA, they can point you in the right direction. I'm using one from this forum and she's been great!! The Dreams resorts seem to put on great weddings. I also think that you might want to check out Azul Sensatori since you said that you really like the modern look/feel. The Paradisus Riviera Cancun is also gorgeous and has a gorgeous site for weddings.

We chose Barcelo Maya Palace. It's a big beautiful resort! Lots going on for everybody! Kids, Adults of all ages will love this resort. It has 5 hotels on site so can suit all budgets too :o)

Azul Sensatori was on our short list and is gorgeous but Barcelo won our hearts and we can't wait to get Married there!