Photo

Personalized Hanger for Your Dress

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Kat1919

Kat1919
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

I love these hangers too!  I think I will order an actual one for myself, but I play to DIY them for all my bridesmaids. I thought it would be a great way for them to all keep their dresses straight on the day of  . . . and lets be honest what girl wouldn't love a personalized hanger!!!

Anyways I found a great instructional how to post, including what gauge wire to use and all. I think the wire in the instructions is heavier than the bride above you made her own, because they were making the whole hanger and it needs to be strong enough to hold the dresses. 

http://www.projectwe...or-wire-hangers

I haven't picked a date yet for my wedding, but I will be sure to share a picture after I try making them! Maybe a year or so though, hehe

#62 torilynnsmith

torilynnsmith
    • 1,748 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:28 PM

Here is another link to DIY info.  I liked the all metal but personally preferred the look of the wooden hanger.  I was a little worried about a metal hanger holding the WEIGHT of my wedding dress.

http://jennyandtom91...ed-hangers.html

#63 torilynnsmith

torilynnsmith
      • 1,748 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:16 PM

I used 20 gauge wire to do my hangers.  I actually lucked in and got a spool of 150' for only $1.25 at our dollarstore.  I thought I would test it out and then head to the hardware store if it didn't work.  In the end it was perfect and working off the spool was great!  Just thought I would share as I know a few of you were wondering and I just found the rest of my spool!!!!

#64 Starfish0512

Starfish0512
        • 283 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

I just read the instructions you posted from the blog... Seems relatively easy, 20g, think I could manage.  I thik the wood hanger adds a nicer touch anyways, despite the fact it will definitely hold up your dress :)

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith 

I used 20 gauge wire to do my hangers.  I actually lucked in and got a spool of 150' for only $1.25 at our dollarstore.  I thought I would test it out and then head to the hardware store if it didn't work.  In the end it was perfect and working off the spool was great!  Just thought I would share as I know a few of you were wondering and I just found the rest of my spool!!!!

#65 torilynnsmith

torilynnsmith
          • 1,748 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

It wasn't too bad, definitely get a pair of needle nose pliers, I picked up mine in the jewelry section at michaels as they are much finer and work really well!!!   I didn't have them at first and it just doesn't create the same "clean" lines as the pliers do!!!!

Keep me posted if you try it out!

Originally Posted by Starfish0512 

I just read the instructions you posted from the blog... Seems relatively easy, 20g, think I could manage.  I thik the wood hanger adds a nicer touch anyways, despite the fact it will definitely hold up your dress :)

#66 mandijacole

mandijacole
            • 156 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

What a great idea!  I think I'm going to make some for my bridesmiads!

#67 Starfish0512

Starfish0512
              • 283 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:01 AM

I have some from my younger days of doing craft fairs and such, making jewelry etc...  But I'm thinking that they must make a pair that have smooth plates on the inside, I would think that the kind I have, almost looks ribbed or threaded on the plate would indent the wire when you crimp, no?  Making my daily trip into Michaels today, will check them out...

Originally Posted by torilynnsmith 

It wasn't too bad, definitely get a pair of needle nose pliers, I picked up mine in the jewelry section at michaels as they are much finer and work really well!!!   I didn't have them at first and it just doesn't create the same "clean" lines as the pliers do!!!!

Keep me posted if you try it out!

#68 Starfish0512

Starfish0512
                • 283 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

scratch on that last post... saw the roundtip needlenose today! Makes much more sense now!!

#69 Gin Bootles

Gin Bootles
                  • 260 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

i think these are amazing and very unique! my fi also said you would spend that much on a hanger! lol idk i am a perfectionist when it comes to a photographer.. lol (still have yet to get one) but yeah i def. want it for the photos!!!

All because, two people fell in love!

#70 Sharon99

Sharon99
                    • 1,301 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:31 AM

This is what I want! I am assuming this is from Etsy, Do you remember what seller you used?

Originally Posted by J-me 

I just got mine in the mail and LOVE it (my FI thinks I've lost it, getting excited over a hanger lol)

hanger.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users