Photo

Tip Hair and Makeup???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BeachBride83

BeachBride83
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hey Everyone! We are going to be flying out a hair and makeup woman to do the bridal party for the wedding and me the next day for the TTD. We are paying to bring them to Jamaica and am wondering what is apporpriate in terms of tipping.

Do you tip at all? Do you tip on the overall total bill (what all the services will be)?? We will already be paying over $1,000 to have her there with us and for the services we have estimated her doing. I am more than happy to tip, just want to make sure I understand how much since it is a different situation than normal!

Thanks!!!!
    Hey Everyone! I have booked Heather Parker to photograph my May 7, 2011 wedding in Negril, Jamaica. I am looking for someone that might want to share in the cost of her transportation/stay that will be getting married around the same time in the area. PM me if you are interested! Her work is...

#2 bellissima

bellissima
    • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

i think it is customary to tip them if they are being flown in, mostly because there is a lot of travel time involved. if the $1000 is just for air and hotel i would most certainly offer a generous gratuity.

#3 skadow

skadow
      • Banned
      • 1,853 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

I use to be a waitress for 8 years in high school and college. I would say you don't need to tip her.

Basically you are paying for her services like any other client, and her tip is the Great Vacation she is getting. If its an all exclusive resort also, think about all the money for food and drinks you are saving her that she normally would be paying for at home during this time.

If you really wanna do something to "Thank Her" I would consider buying her a small gift in Jamaica and presenting it to her. Maybe a bracelet or some local crafts.

#4 BeachBride83

BeachBride83
        • 196 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

Hmm, this is definitely a hard one!
          Hey Everyone! I have booked Heather Parker to photograph my May 7, 2011 wedding in Negril, Jamaica. I am looking for someone that might want to share in the cost of her transportation/stay that will be getting married around the same time in the area. PM me if you are interested! Her work is...

#5 shae

shae
          • 308 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

that is a tough one! if it's something you can afford then i would tip her about 15% of the total bill which is standard for any service.

#6 Sheree10

Sheree10
            • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

I do agree that it's customary to pay 10-15% tip for all that she will provide. Maybe you can speak to the bridal party and ask them to chip in for a tip( since you are paying for her transportation and lodging).
              http://tickers.Ticke....03cf/event.png

BRIDE + GROOM + 60 GUESTS!!

#7 Snickers

Snickers
              • 193 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by skadow
                I use to be a waitress for 8 years in high school and college. I would say you don't need to tip her.

Basically you are paying for her services like any other client, and her tip is the Great Vacation she is getting. If its an all exclusive resort also, think about all the money for food and drinks you are saving her that she normally would be paying for at home during this time.

If you really wanna do something to "Thank Her" I would consider buying her a small gift in Jamaica and presenting it to her. Maybe a bracelet or some local crafts.
                I agree with you totally. A nice gift is more than fitting since you are paying the rest of her way.

#8 caribbeanLover

caribbeanLover
                • 1,619 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

I am also is the service industry. And live off my tips. I don't think you should be tipping her. Your already paying for her vacation. That is plenty enough. Plus it's not like she is working for the whole week, she is just doing hair and make up and then gets to go act like a guest.
                  I don't think she would even except a tip.
                  Good luck, and Have fun!!!
                  http://i1002.photobu..../img-239-1.jpg http://i1002.photobu....0/img-21-1.jpg
                  Tracy and Mike

Married and in love all over again!!!!!!
                  Happily ever after...

#9 chipotle99

chipotle99
                  • 311 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

Tip? ? ? Are you kidding me? You are giving her a vacation in paradise for what? ? ? 3hrs work? Jeez...why did I go to med school....cosmetology is where it's at!

And I used to be a waitress too! For 3yrs, making minimum wage living off tips, and before that I was a valet parker for the Hyatt...and ditto...This girl has a sweet deal, I say no tips needed.

#10 jk1101

jk1101
                    • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

I am going to agree with the others that say don't tip...although I know if it were me, I'd probably feel like I'd need to tip anyway. can you ask a local makeup artist, at a salon or store, what they would expect in a similar situation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users