Mexican Trio - Did you use? Would you recommend?

I keep trying to find threads on here specific to the Mexican Trios and I haven't come across anything that really helps me even when I look at girls wedding reviews so I am going to post a new thread.

I am getting married with a wedding package that includes 1 set with a Mexican Trio. My thoughts are to have the trio there with a guitar, bass and violin for the ceremony and cocktail hour only then to switch to the iPod after that to save money (also because I think my guests would prefer to dance to iPod music rather than the trio).

For those of you who had the mexican trio at your wedding...what are your thoughts? Did you like them? What did your guests think? How did you feel about them playing while you walked down the isle? Anything you can share would be a big help! I'm just starting to wonder with a smaller group (20 or so) if its even worth having them there.

We had a solo violinist for the ceremony and a Mexican Trio (Los Mosquitos - I think they were all guitars, but I'm not 100% sure) for the cocktail hour, then a DJ for dinner/dancing. I didn't hear the trio much (was taking pictures) but guests loved them. Generally I have only seen positive things on the forum about trios for ceremony/cocktail hour, but I think people don't usually use them for the dancing portion - I would definitely use the ipod or have a DJ for that portion. Hope that helps - good luck!

We had a mariachi band (I think there were about 10 men) play at the beginning of our cocktail hour, right after the ceremony, while we were taking bridal party pictures. I think that all of our guests loved it, and then we didn't feel so bad about running around and taking pics. I was a little bummed to miss most of their set, because they were amazing. I recommend live music- it was one of my favorite parts of the whole day! I definitely think it's worth having, even with 20 people.

Another note that I totally forgot about- if you do have live music & plan to tip them, make sure to get it planned before hand. Maybe give an envelope with cash to a good friend or a parent to give to the musicians. We totally blanked on this one & were bummed later.

My cousin had a trio during the dinner hour for her wedding and it was awesome!!! Trios can be very festive or they can be very romantic (or both!) depending on the type of group you hire. In either case, it seems like it would be a good fit for your group given the size - versus mariachis which might be more overwhelming b/c they tend to be much louder. I really think you can't go wrong! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaM View Post
We had a guitar player for the ceremony and then the Mexican trio just for the cocktail hour (after the ceremony, before the reception). And it was great. I loved them, the guests loved them...super fun!
NaM,

I just went through your wedding slideshow and OMG! You looked amazing! Like you were MADE to be married! Everything about your wedding looked perfect. Just seemed so fun and breezy. I like the idea of just doing a single instrument during the ceremony better I think than having all three play. All three would be a little overwhelming down the isle I think. or it could be nice. It's so hard to know in advance!

Did you girls play traditional down the isle music or something different?? Thank you all for your input! I love how helpful everyone on this site is :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee! View Post
Another note that I totally forgot about- if you do have live music & plan to tip them, make sure to get it planned before hand. Maybe give an envelope with cash to a good friend or a parent to give to the musicians. We totally blanked on this one & were bummed later.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I feel like we are going to need so much cash that day. We are trying to pay all of our vendors that we can in advance so that all we have to worry about is tip on the wedding day. Now this is getting off subject of the trio but I'm curious...did you convert cash to pesos or just pay with american money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess3414 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this. I feel like we are going to need so much cash that day. We are trying to pay all of our vendors that we can in advance so that all we have to worry about is tip on the wedding day. Now this is getting off subject of the trio but I'm curious...did you convert cash to pesos or just pay with american money?
I used american dollars. In fact, I didn't use pesos the whole trip!