Weight Loss support for 2011 brides!!

rus

As an example.  I need almost 1600 cals just to stay alive and keep my organs working.  If I ate 1500 cals a day my body would be starving and eating its own muscle...instead of fat usually.  Who wants that when we all know lean muscle burns lots more cals than fat.  Since I am a very active person I need about 2300-2600+ cals just to maintain my current body weight.  If I want to drop weight then I decrease that number by a couple hundred cals a day. 

Originally Posted by sxcT View Post

Just my $.02....1500 cals doesn't seem like very much and sounds more like a very generic number.  Your daily caloric requirements are a special formulated number for you and you alone.  You need to figure out your BMR (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) so you know how many cals you burn just staying alive.  Then use another calculator (Harris Benedict Equation) to figure out how many calories you burn in a day.  Then you can figure out how many you should be eating to lose, maintain or gain.

Way too many woman just try to pick a random number and stay around it (like 1500) when that could be doing you more harm then good.  A little effort is needed to figure out your specific formula but after that you know what you need to eat each and every day which makes it easy.  As you lose weight you can re-run the numbers and adjust them if necessary.

Hope this helps you or any other woman out there.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting. I've never heard of BMR before. So like you, I need 2300 - 2600 calories/day (depending on how much excersize) to maintain my weight. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much. I agree... I think I got the 1500 calories from a generic source.

Maybe I'll try eating a bit more and see if that gets things moving in the right direction again. At this point I'm willing to give it a shot!
Thanks!

As an example.  I need almost 1600 cals just to stay alive and keep my organs working.  If I ate 1500 cals a day my body would be starving and eating its own muscle...instead of fat usually.  Who wants that when we all know lean muscle burns lots more cals than fat.  Since I am a very active person I need about 2300-2600+ cals just to maintain my current body weight.  If I want to drop weight then I decrease that number by a couple hundred cals a day. 

Great.  Just make sure the calories you are eating are healthy ones that will help fuel your body during the day and especially during your workouts.

I would also recommend a protein supplement if you aren't already taking one.  A quick and easy way to get cals and protein in your body and help you recover quickly.

Originally Posted by RyGuysBride View Post

This is interesting. I've never heard of BMR before. So like you, I need 2300 - 2600 calories/day (depending on how much excersize) to maintain my weight. I wouldn't have thought it would be that much. I agree... I think I got the 1500 calories from a generic source.

Maybe I'll try eating a bit more and see if that gets things moving in the right direction again. At this point I'm willing to give it a shot!
Thanks!

Great job on the 30 lbs!!!  Must feel so good.  I can only imagine how the last few weeks are going to go for me.  Just do as much as you can when you have time.  Even a quick 15-20 min interval session will do wonders for your body and calorie burn.  It will also help with stress so try to get some workouts in and lots and lots of rest.  3 weeks...how exciting!!

Originally Posted by Mwise17 View Post

Well ladies, I have 3 weeks to go, and finding time to hit the gym is getting harder and harder as I am cramming down on wedding projects!

I am currently down 30lbs and hope for a bit more!

:)

Feeling good.....in my dress anyway ;)

I'm down to 145 lbs from 157 lbs back in March when I started. I lost 12 lbs total to date. It took me a long time to lose the weight because I was doing it the right way, which is eating healthy and working out. slow and steady and you'll maintain it in the long run. I've been extremely busy and the stress levels are through the roof as I finalize some last minute details before I leave on tuesday of next week. I really haven't had an appetite but still try to eat something. I'm sure with the stress I'll lose a few more pounds, which I really don't want because then my dress may fit too loosely. I'm excited and looking forward to the big day, however, I can't wait to get it all over and done with. Ugh!! STRESS!! LOL

:)

Today did a weigh in, another 4....so 34 pounds!!  :)

I think the stress of the final weeks are helping, definitely!  

I got a good workout in this morning, so will go again tomorrow!  :)

How long left for you?

Great job on the 30 lbs!!!  Must feel so good.  I can only imagine how the last few weeks are going to go for me.  Just do as much as you can when you have time.  Even a quick 15-20 min interval session will do wonders for your body and calorie burn.  It will also help with stress so try to get some workouts in and lots and lots of rest.  3 weeks...how exciting!! 

Good Job!  HOW EXCITING!!!!  so close!!   I know what you mean, I am working around the clock on all my DIY projects...holy time consuming! 

I am having some wine tonight, I need it!!!!!!

Keep us posted on how you do....can't wait to see pics!!!!

Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post

I'm down to 145 lbs from 157 lbs back in March when I started. I lost 12 lbs total to date. It took me a long time to lose the weight because I was doing it the right way, which is eating healthy and working out. slow and steady and you'll maintain it in the long run. I've been extremely busy and the stress levels are through the roof as I finalize some last minute details before I leave on tuesday of next week. I really haven't had an appetite but still try to eat something. I'm sure with the stress I'll lose a few more pounds, which I really don't want because then my dress may fit too loosely. I'm excited and looking forward to the big day, however, I can't wait to get it all over and done with. Ugh!! STRESS!! LOL

Wow Mwise17 34 pounds that is amazing!!! I see that you are in your last few weeks of preparations .. good luck with that! I'm still hovering near but not exactly at my goal .. which was to lose 60 pounds before the wedding.. last minute stress factors are making me eat more junk then I need... however i'm still working out so not all is lost!:confused:

Great job ladies!! You have all done so well.  Just keep it up and remember when you reach for that cookie, cake, french fries or whatever may be your weak spot.....just picture yourself the way you want to look strutting around in your bikini.  That may help you take a step back and grab the healthier choice.  All the stuff we will want to eat will be down there at our resorts so just let that be your reward.  Keep up all the hard work. 

For me...I have just 2 weeks left of Insanity and I'm very happy with the results so far.  I don't weight myself often because my weight doesn't mean anything to me.  I do take measurements and I've lost 2 inches around my thighs which is my problem area.  Clothes fit better, abs show thru, I'm leaner all over my body and much stronger.  LOVE IT!!!

I believe my dress comes in this week so I am very excited to see how it fits. 

THANKS! :)

How close are you to your goal and how much longer do you have? 

I know what you mean....stupid junk food...why do we have to crave it?!  :)

Good job on keeping up with the workouts!!!!!

Originally Posted by MichCraw View Post

Wow Mwise17 34 pounds that is amazing!!! I see that you are in your last few weeks of preparations .. good luck with that!
I'm still hovering near but not exactly at my goal .. which was to lose 60 pounds before the wedding.. last minute stress factors are making me eat more junk then I need... however i'm still working out so not all is lost!confused.gif