2011 Prices

shurbgatza

I think we've all got the same budget - $1500!

This is so odd that there are prices anywhere above $2000, even more so up to $3000. I've been checking newspapers and online and you can book some of these resorts we are all looking at for $1000-1500 inclusive of taxes/fees/etc (4.5-5 stars). These are not even "last minute deals". Some are for the next couple months, some I even specifically searched up to end of year and still I'm getting these types of prices compared to the outrageous ones people are being quoted.

I just can't see what accounts for such a significant discrepancy.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegirl View Post
I think we've all got the same budget - $1500!

This is so odd that there are prices anywhere above $2000, even more so up to $3000. I've been checking newspapers and online and you can book some of these resorts we are all looking at for $1000-1500 inclusive of taxes/fees/etc (4.5-5 stars). These are not even "last minute deals". Some are for the next couple months, some I even specifically searched up to end of year and still I'm getting these types of prices compared to the outrageous ones people are being quoted.

I just can't see what accounts for such a significant discrepancy.
I'm really frustrated with it, I have no idea why the discrepancy! My TA says it's because tour operators have caught on to the DW trend and aren't offering the discounts they use to, they know they can charge more and people will go. I'm online checking prices for different times of the year and the prices are way less then what I'm getting quoted so far for the wedding...I really hope they go down soon!

i am with you girls, this price discrepancy is just a little more than frustrating. I'm going to wait to see what kind of prices come out on the different sites closer to summer. I'm hoping that pays off for us, and I'm just going to give everyone a heads up that we're getting quoted outrageous prices, and it'll be better for everyone to book on their own. I hope this is the best way to do it! From what i've been told the actual pricing for 2011 won't be released until the summer.....and from there the prices will probably drop by fall. Fingers crossed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbmach View Post
I'm really frustrated with it, I have no idea why the discrepancy! My TA says it's because tour operators have caught on to the DW trend and aren't offering the discounts they use to, they know they can charge more and people will go. I'm online checking prices for different times of the year and the prices are way less then what I'm getting quoted so far for the wedding...I really hope they go down soon!
It sounds like a fair reason but then when you think about it, it doesn't make sense. If there is not group discount, at least the price would be the SAME as booking individually not HIGHER! Grrrr.

Well, let's all keep each other updated on what happens. I should be going to a TA in a couple weeks so I will report back, too!

wow...thanks for all the feedback..we are all in the same boat...i am looking for max 1500 per person...somewhere between the first 2 weeks in January 2011..and yep seems impossible...

just curious how are all you ladies picking resorts when you don't know the prices?! should i be picking my resort to get that confirmed and then worry about the cost later?! do the resorts need to know that far in advance?! My travel agent told me hopefully by June we should know more....uugg June!!

i picked my date and resort based on pricing from this year (I was planning this in Nov/Dec) so I just assumed I'd get at least that price, if not cheaper (with the group rate). So far it's not looking that way. First 2 weeks of jan is usually cheaper, that's why I picked it too. I've already booked with one resort and tentatively with another one (as a back up) cause I've already sent out STD's and really want the date I picked. If you're not too picky about the exact date then you can probably wait and see what resort you end up going with. Also, when you book with some resorts, they do need your room booking number before they'll book your wedding.

I think $1500 is quite possible and that is also my budget. I booked a 5*, adults only for this past March for just under $1500 in Samana, DR. The trip ended up getting cancelled (long story) but my point is that I was able to get this price range for a 5* and it was in mid-October that we booked and a lot of the resorts were in this price range.

I got a quote back from Air Canada with $2050 + 238 taxes... flights, transfers, and hotel and included but that way more than what more of my guests are expecting to pay (Also the $1500 - 1700 range). Sure its AI, but they'll want some money to do excursions and shopping.

I stumbled upon this site when I was searching about for May 2011 rates. www.weknowmexico.com they're California-based and I personally CANNOT say if they're reliable or not as I haven't deat with them, but they do have (May) 2011 pricing searchable on the site. (Just for rooms, tho)

For some reason the drop down option to 2011 didn't click on the home page, but after I clicked on 'Cancun Riviera Maya' on the bottom right, and then changed the dates on that page (to the right of all the travel info), it worked.

I figure this could be a guideline to use when I receive quotes from my TA, something to compare to for reference. I sent my TA a PDF of their pricing for the dates and resort I want. We'll see what she says....

i'm getting married at the barcelo in the mayan one jan 11 2011... and our prices pp for 2 weeks with transfers airfare hotel etc is 2500 PP.. i thought it was high at first but we put money min 10x250$ down to secure the group rate and we are aloud to get a 1 time price adjustment as long as it's 60 days before we leave! ( which is when they need the rest of the payment! )