Translation of Birth Certificate

I was recently advised by my travel agent that my fiance's birth certificate (from Quebec) needs to be translated into English and this document notarized.

Does anyone know anything about this? A friend who got married in Jamaica about 10 years ago told me that he had a Quebec birth certificate and he never had to get it translated...

As well, I'm wondering what type of translation is necessary? Are there certified translators and I have to get it done through them and do they have a special seal/stamp or something like the notary publics?

I'm just wondering why the english letter from the notary public is not sufficient in terms of indicating it is a legitimate document. It's not as though this letter is in French!

I also read on this forum (as recently as 200cool.gif how someone mentioned that a driver's license AND a passport would be sufficient documentation in the absence of a birth certificate. Is this another avenue we can take since we would not have to get these items translated?!

This documentation business is driving me a bit batty!

Unfortunately many of the resorts/hotels have different practices which is frustrating in determining what's necessary. In terms of a translation - I did that with my marriage certificate and it was reallly straightforward. The Ministry of Transportation/and or City of Toronto has a list of "certified translators" that they gave me - It cost me $70 and they have a special seal that they put on it.

Thanks, MissyR! My travel agent is going to dig further into it. It makes sense what you say about the different resorts requiring different documentation which leads to the inconsistencies! However, I would think ultimately, it's the country officials and not the resort that will process the documents and issue the marriage certificate so you would think they have the final say!

My travel agent was saying how previously they used to accept the plastic birth certificates which were bilingual. This is probably the reason my friend had no issue 10 years ago since his birth certificate is from Quebec as well.

I also appreciate the information about the translation services. It gives me an estimate on price...and that there is such a thing as "certified" translators and that they have a stamp/seal.

I just ran into that issue in December, had to get both of our birth certificate translated. I was worried about that extra paperwork layer and price, but in the end it was pretty easy and not the sleep I lost over it (Well, I haven't sent the paperwork in yet, still room for refusal...)

Like MissyR mentioned, there are certified translators that will put a stamp on the translated document. Since I'm in Quebec, I looked up on the provincial translator association for a French->English Certified translator. Sent e-mail to 2 of them near me, one charged 50$ per document, the other gave me a 2/50$ deal! I got them this week, printed on nice thick paper with raised seal. Pretty professional. Just look up the translator association in your province.

As for your friend, maybe he had his birth certificate in English? If a birth was originally "declared" with the English paperwork, you get your birth certificate in English, not in French!

I learned from my travel agent that the reason why my friend was able to use his Quebec birth certificate is that previously Jamaica used to accept the plastic bilingual Quebec birth certificates. But they don't any longer.

I will try looking up the translator association to see if I can get some decent rates! Does anyone know if there MUST be a stamp/seal when documents are notarized? In Ontario, lawyers are able to notarize documents but not all of them have the stamp/seal. Can anyone else notarize documents? In the States it seems like the bank can notarize documents....probably no such luck in Canada.

I contacted the The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO) and emailed a person off their directory. The woman told me that certified translators in Canada "generally" do not have an official stamp. Perhaps this is only in Quebec? She seems to charge the same though - $50 for the birth certificate. I guess I will hear what some of the other translators I emailed have to say...also check with my travel agent to verify that I actually need the stamp/seal.

Not sure it is the same all around Canada (but might be since banks are under federal regulation), but here in Quebec there are several employees that are " Commissioner for Oaths", who will notarize documents. However, for someone to sign/notarize your translation, they would have to certify that the translation + original match perfectly, hence they need to be bilingual. Depending on where you are in Ontario, might be hard or not to find.

Right now I am having difficulty finding someone that has that stamp/seal who is a certified translator! Not sure if I absolutely need the stamp/seal though. Maybe I will have to contact translators on the "Quebec" side since you seem to have found one quite easily. Who knew this would be so difficult?!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to provide others with an update who may run into the same difficulties. If you are looking for a translator with a stamp/seal for a Quebec birth certificate, try to find one on the Quebec side. I live in Ottawa and I found one in Gatineau. The cost was $25 for the stamp/seal and $25 for the translation of the document ( 27 cents per word). Not all certified translators have the stamp/seal. I did not need to get this document notarized afterwards (thank goodness) since I had previously sent a copy of the birth certificate (which was in French) notarized by a lawyer. Hopefully I won't need to submit anything else with regards to my documents!

• 8 years later...