Photo

Tipping in Jamaica

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Lizk23

Lizk23
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:47 AM

Thanks! good to know i'll probably do the same.

#12 Vaneska

Vaneska
    • 123 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

thats a great idea!! i am so going to do that for my wedding!

Originally Posted by Catalyst 

Sounds like a good plan to me. Tipping is such a grey area because you never know what or how much is appropriate, or at least I don't!

My personal rule is in instances where gratuity is already included I tend to give tips on top of the already charged gratuity only if the person performing the service exceeds my expectations.

Otherwise I tend to go with 15% as a standard and go up or down based on level of service.

I would include a little extra in your budget for further tips and then award them - or not- as you feel is warrented.

I think I saw a really good idea in another thread where a bride made up cards with the extra tips in them and handed them out - or not- as needed.

hope that helps!
      -Kay

#13 Vaneska

Vaneska
      • 123 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

thats a great idea!! i am so going to do that for my wedding!

Originally Posted by Catalyst 

Sounds like a good plan to me. Tipping is such a grey area because you never know what or how much is appropriate, or at least I don't!

My personal rule is in instances where gratuity is already included I tend to give tips on top of the already charged gratuity only if the person performing the service exceeds my expectations.

Otherwise I tend to go with 15% as a standard and go up or down based on level of service.

I would include a little extra in your budget for further tips and then award them - or not- as you feel is warrented.

I think I saw a really good idea in another thread where a bride made up cards with the extra tips in them and handed them out - or not- as needed.

hope that helps!
        -Kay

#14 Jules23

Jules23
        • 182 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

its definatly not required to tip extra but you always want to reward someone for their good service (above and beyond). Its best to carry alot of $1 bills - tip your doorman, maids, room service and bartenders.... they will remember you throughout your stay and make it that much better for you. A little bit goes along way! 

#15 tross84

tross84
          • Banned
          • 151 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

great thread ladies...lots of good tips

#16 ohaske

ohaske
            • 163 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

this is good. I appreciate this thread alot because I never thought about it.

#17 Kristin Ri

Kristin Ri
              • 162 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

very helpful, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users