Tipping in Jamaica

Hi Everyone,

I thought maybe you could help me.

I am getting married at the Half Moon in Montego Bay. I am working on my budget and going through vendors/people to tip.

The wedding coordinator, photographer, officiant, Steel Drum Band, and food all contains a 15% tip included in the cost. Do I tip on top of that? We are giving our wedding coordinator a gift for all that she is doing.

What do you think? In the articles I have been reading it says to tip bartenders, servers, etc. I would think that the 15% gratuity cost of food & beverage would be split amongst them.

Very unsure!

Hope you can help! Thank YOu!

Kelly

Sounds like a good plan to me. Tipping is such a grey area because you never know what or how much is appropriate, or at least I don't!

My personal rule is in instances where gratuity is already included I tend to give tips on top of the already charged gratuity only if the person performing the service exceeds my expectations.

Otherwise I tend to go with 15% as a standard and go up or down based on level of service.

I would include a little extra in your budget for further tips and then award them - or not- as you feel is warrented.

I think I saw a really good idea in another thread where a bride made up cards with the extra tips in them and handed them out - or not- as needed.

hope that helps!

-Kay

I agree with Kay. If the tip is included I only give more if they went above and beyond my expectations. Some individual tipping may be nice for the servers and bartenders, who knows if they ever see the tips included in the bill. In general, in Jamaica, you will get better service with a few dollar bills to your maids, bartenders, etc. Start off with a tip when you meet them, then encourage their good behavior with the promise of a nicer tip when you leave. It works wonders. I would give your WC cash, they probably get all sorts of body lotion and other well intended gifts that they don't need, unless she specified something she wanted.

Check with your resort first.

Some have very strict policies on tipping; an employee can be fired on the spot if they are seen taking a tip at some. If you choose to offer gifts, be sure to include a note so there is no question.

If the tip is included, ask how it will be split.

If you have any events off property (golf, taxis, etc) be sure you have cash to tip.

• 11 months later...

Yes, its true. We're taking a stack of $1 bills. 

Originally Posted by Lizk23 View Post

This might be a dumb question but i thought i remebered a friend of mine that went to Jamaica once telling me that the employees at the resort loved when he gave them American money even moreso than getting Jamaican money as a tip. Is this true?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
    • Hi everyone! I have been doing lots of research on various wedding venues all around Mexico, my fiance wants a destination wedding and I am happy to have a wedding wherever so long as the vibe is right and guests are happy!  I have been seriously looking at Cabo Azul and was trying to find potential costs for them, but only found a page about their wedding costs from 2010. Does anyone have any updated information on costs / reviews they would like to share of this venue? Or advice in general, anything helps. Thanks so much, happy wedding planning to all!
    • Hello everyone, I am dreaming of a wedding in Costa Rica and was wondering if I could get any help with venues and wedding planners. I am thinking Tamarindo because a close friend of mine lives there and I've been in town more than a couple of times, she's being helpful but is at a loss when it comes to this subject really so I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations. I am not closed to other town suggestions either, if I happen to find a good place and staff somewhere else. These are the places I have so far, has anyone had any experience with any of them?  Stay In Tamarindo Luxury Villas in Costa Rica Luxury Villas Pinilla Tropical Homes of Costa Rica The Point Luxury Villa Thank you so much for your help!
    • Have you ever considered having a wedding inside a bubble? With the current global situation, many couples are looking for unique and creative ways to celebrate their special day while keeping their guests safe. A wedding inside a bubble could provide a whimsical and intimate setting for your ceremony and reception. Imagine saying your vows surrounded by a beautiful bubble filled with twinkling lights and flowers, creating a magical atmosphere for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
    • Adult only resort or not? Let's discuss the pros and cons of choosing an adult-only resort for your honeymoon. While some couples may appreciate the peace and quiet that comes with an adults-only environment, others may prefer a more family-friendly atmosphere. What are your thoughts on this? Have you had any experiences at adult-only resorts that you'd like to share? Let's hear your opinions and recommendations!
    • When it comes to planning a wedding, one of the most exciting parts is choosing the perfect wedding favours for your guests. These small tokens of appreciation are a great way to thank your loved ones for being a part of your special day and to make them feel appreciated.
  • Topics