• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

ok, so I just found out, that my FI wants to have a wedding at home too! I am a little stressed now, he says he wants "just family" there because a lot of his family aren't going to our DW. What should I do for this, now that I have another wedding to plan? even thought it is going to be small, I thought I had enough to do with going away....

#2 MikkiStreak

MikkiStreak
    • VIP Member
    • 2,347 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Put him in charge of the one here, then! I understand the reason why he'd want a small private ceremony here for his family---- if he has a good handle on the finances, then I say let him plan it! :)

#3 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

Maria, why didn't I think of that!!! I totally understand why he wants to have one here, but I guess it can be just a very small gathering, maybe a cookout? We are spending most of our money for our DW, so what are some inexpensive ways that I can do this at home?

#4 MikkiStreak

MikkiStreak
        • VIP Member
        • 2,347 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

At home is definitely a great idea---- something in the backyard in the evening with some strand lights, candles and just moving around the current potted plants from the yard---- might give a nice subdued, romantic feel...

If it's family and a small group, I say go potluck! :) Nothing like some good home-cooking to celebrate!! :)

#5 leigh miller

leigh miller
          • 936 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

that sounds great. maybe you can even make that one your legal ceremony and not mess with the out of the country mess, kill two birds with one stone :) my husband was bound and determined we get married on the anniversary of our first date. so i totally put him in charge of it. we got married at a drive through wedding chapel in vegas. legal part done! its nice that he cares about his family :)

#6 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by MikkiStreak
              At home is definitely a great idea---- something in the backyard in the evening with some strand lights, candles and just moving around the current potted plants from the yard---- might give a nice subdued, romantic feel...

If it's family and a small group, I say go potluck! :) Nothing like some good home-cooking to celebrate!! :)
              YAY!! Maria, he just walked in the door and said that he would plan it, he joked a little but I think he is serious!! great minds think alike!
              I was definitely thinking low-key, like a bbq or something simple

#7 NATASHA

NATASHA
              • 646 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

What is his family like?

We did our legal ceremony at the courthouse (just the two of us) after we got back. It was really FUN because it was kind of cheesy and I was giggling through the whole thing since we were already married! It was a Monday at like 1:00. After, we went for pizza at my husband's favorite pizza joint. Even though it was Monday at 1:00 there were two sets of families there. Girls in wedding dresses - people wearing fancy hats. Some people brought little decorations that they were holding in the waiting area. I don't know - it felt very intimate and, yet, light-hearted at the same time. How many people actually go to the courthouse to get married these days?

You could get them all to gather at the courthouse and then head over to your house for a bbq. Hire a small band or a guitar singer, string some lights, and see if you can find someone to cater with food similar to what you'd find in Costa Rica!
                Shawn and NatashaHappily MarriedNovember 11, 2006

#8 RaydensMama

RaydensMama
                • VIP Member
                • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:41 AM

I think you could do something really great outdoors. Maybe in your yard (or a family members, depending on the size) and just set up patio tables, lawn chairs, make some big salads and have a bbq. Throw a fiesta!
                  Speaking of that, who was it that posted about the fiesta they had in their backyard for their party? Where is Courtney when you need a link?!
                  But something like that could be really cool, inexspensive and fun for your guests!

#9 MsShelley

MsShelley

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 10,366 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by NATASHA
                    What is his family like?

We did our legal ceremony at the courthouse (just the two of us) after we got back. It was really FUN because it was kind of cheesy and I was giggling through the whole thing since we were already married! It was a Monday at like 1:00. After, we went for pizza at my husband's favorite pizza joint. Even though it was Monday at 1:00 there were two sets of families there. Girls in wedding dresses - people wearing fancy hats. Some people brought little decorations that they were holding in the waiting area. I don't know - it felt very intimate and, yet, light-hearted at the same time. How many people actually go to the courthouse to get married these days?

You could get them all to gather at the courthouse and then head over to your house for a bbq. Hire a small band or a guitar singer, string some lights, and see if you can find someone to cater with food similar to what you'd find in Costa Rica!

great idea about trying to get Costa Rica food.... So do most people have weddings before or after their DW?

#10 foxytv

foxytv
                    • VIP Member
                    • 7,740 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:47 PM

We're doing ours before -- I wanted to do a shor vow renewal at our AHR in MD since that's when most family will be there ... but Tom says absolutely not. But that's maybe what you can do ... a vow renewal/bbq ... that way it doesn't even have to be in a church / courthouse unless you want it to be. A notary can do it for next to nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users