Photo

Does anyone else feel awkward about having a bridal shower?

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#31 flipflop.tee

flipflop.tee
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

Ha ha ha ha.....too funny nicitica! I am also having showers...I'm not suppose to know about them but they are being sooo obvious....I'm pretty sure there are 2 seperate one's...a family and friends one and a work one. We actually just got our own house in December and we don't really have a lot of nice stuff yet so I think it will be great to finally have some good quality stuff rather than cheap dollar store forks...lol

#32 blckrevpower

blckrevpower
    • 572 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

If someone throws me a shower, that would be great, but I'm not really expecting it at all.
      "Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!" --Homer Simpson

#33 islandbride317

islandbride317
      • 1,866 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:30 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by blckrevpower
        If someone throws me a shower, that would be great, but I'm not really expecting it at all.
        I'm in the same boat....I'm really NOT expecting a bridal shower at all (more or less a bachelorette party), but if they happen, then I will be shocked, but grateful!

I am also in the frame of mind that since I've chosen NOT to have a bridal party, these "duties" should fall to no one, but if my mom and my future mother-in-law deem it necessary for me to have a bridal shower, then I guess I'll just go along for the ride and be thankful!

#34 TRose

TRose
        • 75 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:09 PM

I think you can just be careful about what you register for, like maybe register are bed bath and beyond instead of somewhere more expensive like pottery barn

#35 mbarnes04

mbarnes04
          • 194 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

I don't think there is anythign wrong with having a shower! I mean, I understand people may not be able to make it to the wedding, but what's the difference if it were in another state? They can choose to come celebrate with you or not. And, you could say no gifts or something and still have an intimate gathering, or you can register for things just in case. I don't know... maybe you just not open gifts in front of people... I'm rambling!! LOL

#36 Eliana

Eliana
            • 676 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

I don't really want a shower... i just want people to come to the wedding and have a great time! we are not even registering anywhere..

#37 hoyt75

hoyt75
              • 371 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

AHHH! FI grandmother is throwing me a shower, which she's forcing to attend, and she also forced us into registering for. I feel so weird about getting gifts and having all the attention on me. Oh, and it's this Saturday. ggggrrrrrr......

#38 steponmyknee

steponmyknee
                • 115 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

We registered for gifts, but I'm not having any showers. I've been going to other people's showers for years, and I've always hated them. I'd hate to subject my friends to yet another shower.

#39 smckinney22

smckinney22
                  • 185 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:03 AM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by elifrigo
                    I don't really want a shower... i just want people to come to the wedding and have a great time! we are not even registering anywhere..
                    I'm right there with you. We aren't even registering either. Everyone (mainly the people who aren't going to the destination wedding) keeps asking where we're registered and me and FI just tell them we have 2 of everything anyway since we moved in together and not to buy anything for us.

I think in lieu of a bridal shower I think I'm going to have a PJ shower and just do a Pajama party with my girl friends and if they wanna bring comfy pj's for me then cool and if not that's cool too and we'll just hang out and have fun!

#40 Riri09

Riri09
                    • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'm so glad to hear everyone saying the same things I have been thinking since we got engaged. I don't want a shower for several reasons. Like all of you, I feel that asking people to travel all the way to Mexico is asking a lot, and to add gifts on top of that. I don't know. It just doesn't feel right for me. I also have been to so many showers - the same people over and over and I'm just not going to ask people to attend a gazillion showers and buy a gift each time. It erked me. (One shower gift and a wedding gift seems PLENTY to me). Of course, I hate opending gifts in front of people so this has a lot to do with it. Also, from reading these post it seems DW girls are split on the bridal registry. FI nor I were planning on doing one but everyone thinks I'm crazy and insit that I do it so they know what to get us. Sorry, that was a novel. I'm just relieved to know I'm not crazy for thinking its asking a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users