Does anyone else feel awkward about having a bridal shower?

Hmm. This is touchy. My family and MOH wanted to throw a couple's shower as a “gift†to those who cannot make it to the destination. I did not want to deny anyone that so the shower will be in my family's city and the AHR will be near his family. Technically, everyone is invited to everything but practically speaking, it will work out as intended.

• 1 month later...

I have felt weird about this too. I think it is self projection. I have not felt bad about going to other showers, parties, etc so why should I feel bad having one. I think it is just hard for some people to be the center of attention and I am one of those people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseLyn10 View Post

I kicked and screamed about a not having a shower. We have lived together for 4 years and own a condo - we don't need anything. I lost the battle and had a wedding shower with 55 guests. Although I am so thankful for people who can't make it to the wedding to want to share in the wedding festivities and my mother and MOH for throwing this shower, it was def. more of an event for other people rather than myself. It was stressful and not my thing at all.

Power to the brides who don't want a shower and win!

..now onto the at-home reception battle.

JesseLyn10:  I feel the same exact way.  My FI and have been living together for 5 years and we own home together.  We never wanted to register for anything as I already have tons of glasses, plates, utensils, blender etc.  I told my MOH what am I going to register for a New living room set, refinished hard wood floors.  I mean come on.  But I was forced so we registered where we felt we get the most use out of Bed Bath and Beyond.  My FI and I love that store as we can always find stuff we need and he loves their coffee makers. LOL

The AHR is NO go.  I put my foot down and told them all I am getting married once and if I wanted a reception at home I would have gotten married here instead especially since we are paying for our wedding ourselves. 

I feel the same way. We have been together for so long and there is nothing we really need. Plus I find bridal showers to be soooo boring, everyone sitting around watching someone else open presents. Anyway my family threw me a shower and it was pretty much what I expected only worse! My Grandma (mom's mom) wouldn't eat any of the food because my Dad's side of the family prepared it. She also refused to be in any pictures and basically acted like a 4 year old the entire time. Haha that's my crazy family I guess.

Wow!  I thought I was the only one with these thoughts!  I don't really want a shower either b/c it's so awkward and the whole gift giving thing is hard.  My FI and I own a home together and have been living together for just over a year now.  We have *almost* everything we need.

I don't have any family in town except my parents, so maybe it won't happen! :)

Good luck to everyone!

cheers.gif

My sister in law to be wanted to throw me a shower. I had it 2 weekends ago and it was nice and low key. In my case many of my closest friends can not come to my wedding in Mexico so were all so interested in attending the shower. Besides my mom, mother and sister in law to be , my sis and 2 gfs, all the other 20 girls who came to my shower are not coming down. I too have been living with my FI in our home and we have everything we need... well except spa gift certificates, baking pans and a new handmixer, wine from the Okanagan wineries lol. We did not have the cheesy games that usually take place at a shower.I was just happy to have all my friends and family there together. Many of my friends from back home came over to where I live (on an island) and they have never met my friends here on the island so that was so nice.

I kinda think it is all dependent on the circumstances.  If you really don't want one and you don't want to put your friends in an awkward position then just have the stagette instead.

I totally feel the same way. Just feel bad asking people to give me presents and then spend so much money on coming to Jamaica. I actually made a point of phoning all my girlfriends and telling them not to get me anything, and that I just wanted them there for fun. My MIL had me register at Home Outfitters so I'm sure I will get some gifts, but I really dont want/expect anything.....

We recently discussed this and agreed that we would tell everyone there is absolutely no need to bring a gift. From experience, I know some people feel insulted if you don't accept a gift, so if anyone still wants to bring a present, we're telling everyone the option of donating to a charity. E and I are not expecting any gifts, even for the wedding really, because after all the money the guests are already spending to come to the wedding, I would feel awful if they felt obligated to spend more.