Photo

So Sad

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy*

Cindy*
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

My best friend (BM) and her two daughters (flower girls) will no longer be in the wedding. In fact, her entire family will likely no longer come. Originally my bf, her husband, their two girls and her parents were set to come. Its not so much the fact that they aren't coming, its the reason. The reason is devastating and, in a way, makes me think my whole wedding is so insignificant.

Last week, their 5 year old was complaining of really bad back pain. She was also really pale so they rushed her to emerg. This is a girl who has always been happy and healthy. At the hospital they put her into isolation while they did a battery of blood tests on her. I mean to the point that they had to take blood from her feet because there was nowhere left on her arms to draw from. They also did bone marrow testing. It took almost a week to get the diagnosis. She has leukemia. Now their entire world has changed. She has to stay in the hospital for at least a month and possibly two while she undergoes intensive drug therapy. When she comes home, she will be confined to bed for the next two years as she undergoes treatment. The hope is that through intensive treatment over the next two years, there is a 75% survival rate. However, this means no going to school, no dance class (her favourite activity), no going to her friends' housese, really no anyhing over the next two years.

Obviously her parents are devastated. They are now struggling with being at the hospital and still trying to take care of their 3 year old who of course wants her sister to come home. Everyone is really supportive and we are all helping out but it is so hard.

This isn't really a rant, its just I'm so sad and it is making planning my wedding really hard. This little girl is my god daughter. She was sooo excited about being a flower girl and I just can't picture my wedding without them there. For all of you ladies with kids, please give them a big hug. You just never know when your life can change.

#2 Boston Bride 2009

Boston Bride 2009
    • 268 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:59 AM

I'm soooo very sorry to hear this stroy. That poor little girl. It's just not fair. My husband works at Childrens Hospital Boston and shares stories like this with me. It breaks my heart. My prayers are with you and her family.

#3 Holly22

Holly22
      • 127 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

I'm so sorry. It takes alot to make me cry but I am bawling. I can't even imagine what your friends must be going through. I have a three year daughter and I can't even imagine. No child should ever have to go through this. Its so unfair.

Maybe there is something special you can think of to still make her feel included. Or maybe a nice video of the wedding with you all saying how much you love her and feel her there with you. So she knows how special she is. I'm sure she already does but I mean that could make her smile.

My heart is breaking thinking of her and the family... your all in my prayers.

#4 KimmyD

KimmyD
        • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

WOW - that really puts things in perspective. I will keep the little one in my thoughts and remember on a daily basis how important the people you love are and not the material stuff. Stay Strong for her.
          http://global.thekno...rs/tt4304d.aspx
          28 Booked + Bride & Groom
          78 Room Nights!

#5 sungoddess_08

sungoddess_08
          • 829 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. It breaks my heart -- I have a 4 year old nephew who I have been upset about lately because he's growing up and not needing his aunt anymore! It's silly but I've been having a hard time with it -- this really made me realize that he's healthy, happy and growing up -- and I need to adjust to that.

I am so sorry to hear about this, and I wish the best for them - I believe in the survival rate and thikn that you have to stay strong and think positively. <3

#6 sungoddess_08

sungoddess_08
            • 829 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. It breaks my heart -- I have a 4 year old nephew who I have been upset about lately because he's growing up and not needing his aunt anymore! It's silly but I've been having a hard time with it -- this really made me realize that he's healthy, happy and growing up -- and I need to adjust to that.

I am so sorry to hear about this, and I wish the best for them - I believe in the survival rate and thikn that you have to stay strong and think positively. <3

#7 Lady_Di

Lady_Di
              • 5,078 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

I am so sorry to hear about that. That is sooo devastating. No child should experience that. They deserve a normal childhood.

Maybe you still can incorporate them in your wedding somehow...like put their names on the programs and etc.

#8 vlynnw

vlynnw
                • 6,003 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

That is terribly sad to hear and even made me tear up. A good friend of mine when we were little was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 6, today you would never be able to tell though. It's a tough time for the family and I'm so sorry for your friends and for their little girl.
                  Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#9 NaM

NaM
                  • 2,256 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. It really does make you appreciate the small things and put things into perspective. Sending only positive thoughts toward the family and hoping for a great outcome! With love and support all things are possible!

#10 ~*Kathy*~

~*Kathy*~
                    • 5,649 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

I am so sorry about your god-daughter...that is very sad. I will keep this little girl in my thoughts and I sincerely hope that she will start to feel better soon. Are you doing an AHR after the wedding? Maybe she'll be feeling better by then and you could include her in that somehow? Just a thought. Life is precious and I think we should all make time each day to let the people in our lives know that we love them and care about them very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users