Not trying to be a baby! My back is killing me!!

LadyTrunck

Oh hun big hugs sad.gif! So sorry your going through this pain. Your not a baby whatsoever, dont even think that. Commutes kill the vertebra like crazy. DH commutes about 1:30 every day and he suffers from tons of back pain. Things like heat pads etc. have been suggested already but have you tried in your work outs yoga or pilates? They are really super awesome to stretch and also strengthen core posture muscles and help alot with back pain. Big hugs headed your way, hope you feel better soon!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jannae - here's another idea, because I suffered from the same sorts of symptoms for weeks and weeks before a secondary symptom took me to a different type of doc.

Acid reflux can have these symptoms. I had no symptoms of acid reflux, except really, really intense shoulder, lower back and neck pain - especially on my right side (I sleep on my right side). It went on for so long without easing, then (thank god) I started getting a weird tickle way at the back of my throat. I went to see an ENT, he stuck a scope up my nose (sorry if TMI), looked around, pulled it out and asked if my back and shoulder hurt.

Amazing. So for months I was in excruciating pain. He told me to try a 14-day regimen OTC prilosec, cut back on acids and coffee and see how it went. The pain was much better in about 4 days and gone in about 10. Now whenever I get a sore shoulder, I pop a prilosec along with my Advil.

Maybe that's what you're experiencing, maybe it's not. But the $15 investment in a box of Prilosec can't hurt.

Ladytrunk,

I had the same problem about 5months ago. I was going to doctors and than chiro with some relief. It all came down to stress. I was working two jobs and wasn't really working out. Long story got temporary laid off and started working out and gone! If I skip working out for a few days, the pain comes back. I've heard accupuncture works well too! Don't give up on working out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyTrunck View Post
I know sad.gif Dr. said that it's a common problem, especially with my commute and definitely in my line of work. They both said that I'm doing everything right, and it's just something I have to deal and work with. So disheartening! They also prescribed physical therapy, so I hope that helps. My insurance is going to get a workout with PT, massage, and meds!! Haha- poor FI is going to get carpal tunnel massaging me so much. Also- I am blessed to lead a very stress free life- so that can't be the issue. Thanks for listening!
Oh, i bet the PT will help bunches! You'll have to let us know how that goes.

This has already been mentioned. But I would suggest doing Yoga. Im sure its the last thing that you want to do when you are in pain, and work and commute long hours. But you might be surprised. Look for classes that focus on spine strengthing, such as Bikram (hot yoga) It has worked wonders for me. I no longer get back pain like I used to get from sitting at a desk 9 hours a day. And I rarley get headaches anymore.

Haha Shellk! I think my little 5 lb puppy would not do much good. Trust me, I have thought of it!

Massages and yoga are a wonderful idea! I think Iâ€m going to try both this weekend. I usually heart yoga, but havenâ€t done it in awhile. Mmmmm hot yoga sounds good right now….

Wow Sapphire- Itâ€s good to know that Iâ€m not the only one that suffers the bad commute. It has been only an hour lately because the college is not in session. Come a couple of months though, and Iâ€ll be looking at anywhere from an hour -2 ½ on bad days! It is the worst isnâ€t it!?? I am the same with stretching during the day. I have actually set up my outlook to send a pop up every few hours to make me do it.

Interesting Becks--- Iâ€ll definitely look into it. Iâ€m glad you are feeling better.

Sorry to hear about the layoff dana!

Thanks for the hugs and encouragement I will start doing EVERYTHING that everyone suggested. Anything to get rid of this. HUGS BACK!

Jannae, you are definitely not a baby!! I used to have an hour+ commute each way too & had terrible back pain. And, like 10 yrs ago, I ruptured a disk trying to push a car out of snow (dumb dumb dumb) and I still get bad flare-ups of pain occasionally. I'm like an old granny who can tell the weather by my back. But one thing that really helps is ice. I know it sounds horrible (especially in winter) but I have an ice pack that has a removable sleeve with velcro straps so I can strap it on and it stays in place. Try it for like 15 min and it really relieves some of the inflammation & pain.

The PT, stretching, exercise & massage will definitely help too! Good luck & we all hope you become pain-free soon!

I'm a physical therapist and we get sooo many people in with the same problem as you. Years of sitting at a desk are really bad!! I would say to start with a foam roll. You can get one on amazon.com. It should be the length from your butt to to top of your head. Lay on it and stretch your arms out to the side. You can also roll side to side on on your shoulder blades. Its also really important for you to strengthen the muscles around your shoulder blades too. Let me know if you have any questions...I'd love to help!

I have the exact same problem. Go to Costco and buy the homedics Shiatsui massage and use it every night its like $100 well worth it. Amazon.com: Homedics SBM-500H Therapist Select Shiatsu One Massaging Cushion with Heat: Health & Personal Care

By these things and use them constantly while you are at work.

Amazon.com: Body Back Buddy: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Body Back Sticks: Health & Personal Care

I know it seems odd to have this stuff at work but trust me get it and use when no one is around and you will thank me. It helps the pain from becoming excruciating and makes your day go better. You can also talk to your work and see if they will allow a masseuse to come in once a week and employees can get 15/20 min massages on a break or lunch alot of companies are open to this.

Get better and get some Soma prescriptions from your doctor!