Jump to content


Process After legal wedding in Mexico

  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 midnight24

  • Member
  • 754 posts

    Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:12 AM

    i'm thinking you could contact your local bank, drivers license bureau and passport office and ask them directly to see what they say. maybe some places take the spanish ones, maybe some don't. might be an idea.

    #12 *Krista*

    • Member
    • 819 posts

      Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

      Originally Posted by MissyR
      HI ladies! As a fellow Canadian who had a legal wedding in Mexico I will tell you that

      a) I had to get it translated from Spanish to English
      B) I brought back the Spanish certif - contacted a certified translator (I got this through the MInistry of Transportation) and paid $70 bucks
      c) I could not change anything (banking, drivers license, health card, passport etc) without both the Spanish and English versions
      Thank you MissyR! That's very helpful!! :)
      July 10, 2010 ~ This was the day I married my best friend, the one I laugh with, live for, and love... ~ Mrs. Allen

      #13 mwcfarms

      • Jr. Member
      • 266 posts

        Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:49 PM

        I have a translator to translate it from Spanish to English for 50 dollars change my drivers and then just use drivers to get everything else. So hopefully you can find out close to you Krista.

        #14 BeachBride10

        • Jr. Member
        • 169 posts

          Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

          Thanks for all the helpful info on this. I am also wanting to do the legal wedding in Mexico and wondered about this issue. I have found most brides to do the legal part here first and do the symbolic ceremony in Mexico. I want my marriage certificate and my wedding ceremony date to be the same so it can be our anniversary date too. I wouldn't know which date to pick. : )

          Bride & Groom + 23 Guests Booked

          #15 Denise Cummings

          Denise Cummings
          • Newbie
          • 11 posts

            Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

            We are also getting legally married in Mexico...I have been seeking this information and am SO happy to have run across this thread!

            Just so I am clear...I need a certified spanish translator and then they do what...write an affadivit that it is a marriage licence? I know I am being particular however wanting to make sure that I am doing what I need to...I too have emailed the Mexican Embassy here in Ottawa and have not heard anything back and when I emailed the Registrar of Ontario, they stated that there was nothing that I needed to do (which I know is not right...)

            Thanks for any feedback!!!!

            #16 *Krista*

            • Member
            • 819 posts

              Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

              Hi Denise - my understanding is that they would directly translate the wedding license word for word into English.

              As far as the registrar of ontario telling you that you don't need to do anything - this may be true, because I remember Sunbride - who is also from Ontario saying that she found out the same thing - that the license was fine as it was. Ultimately, you could take the Spanish version to try and change your drivers license, etc, and if they say no, then you could look at finding a translator at that point.

              I just googled "translators Saskatchewan", and there was a ton that came up. There is an actual organization that has certified translators for different languages.
              July 10, 2010 ~ This was the day I married my best friend, the one I laugh with, live for, and love... ~ Mrs. Allen

              #17 ~Nicole~

              • Sr. Member
              • 4,512 posts

                Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

                I guess I'm one of those lucky people that got the right guy at the counter the day I went to change my name for my licence 3 weeks ago lol. Actually I KNOW I did, but it was easy to convince him to accept my Spanish cert. On the website for that office it listed Spanish as one of the languages. So I told him that Service Ontario told me that if I went to a "Spanish speaking" office, there was no need for a translation. Makes sense right? I thought it did, and it worked lol. Now that I have a new ID, I can just use that to change everything else, so no translating required on my end!

                FYI - service Ontario told me I needed it translated.... I thought I'd take my chances before spending the money and going through the hassel. I'm glad I did lol.
                *Formerly Nikki07*
                My Planning Thread

                #18 tsgnatko

                • Jr. Member
                • 164 posts

                  Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

                  Thank you for posting this thread I am also in need of this information - you have been very helpful - Thank you

                  #19 mochamakes3

                  • Sr. Member
                  • 1,917 posts

                    Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

                    What did everyone do for their birth certificates before they left? Did you just get the photocopies certified by a Notary?

                    #20 ~Nicole~

                    • Sr. Member
                    • 4,512 posts

                      Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:38 PM


                      Originally Posted by mochamakes3 

                      What did everyone do for their birth certificates before they left? Did you just get the photocopies certified by a Notary?

                      First I had to request the long version birth certificates for both of us as we only had the wallet size ones.

                      Then I sent them to the Canadian Ministry of Foregin Affairs to be authenticated.

                      Once I got those back I sent them to the Mexican Consulate in Toronoto for legalization.

                      I sent all originals, no photocopies.


                      Your best bet is to look up the Mexican Consulate website for your city.  It should have instructions on there under "getting married in Mexico".

                      Good luck!

                      *Formerly Nikki07*
                      My Planning Thread

                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users