Photographer Contracts

lalanyc

Long time ago I used to ask for payment on the day the images are delivered. Now I ask for final payment 2 weeks prior to the wedding.

I only work with select number of couples per year and they all trust me to provide the absolute best photos possible. Never had an issue.

I changed the policy because a number of times when the images were ready, sometimes it would take an extra month to get paid(too busy,honeymoon,not enough funds,etc).

There are a ton of scammers out there so do your research before making your selection. Just last year alone I've caught 15 local photographers using some of my images in their own website. I can only imagine there are many more.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My photographer is pretty lax and actually just told me that I could write out my own contract, what I expected (wedding day, TTD session etc) and then we would come up with a price based on that. I found it difficult to work with his at home wedding packages because a destination wedding is so different. As for payment, I have worked with him before, so I will likely end up paying him just after we return from the trip.

I was just reading through my contract (have not signed yet) and it states:

Start/Stop Times: the hourly photographic fee starts when Company X arrives at a site to start setting up equipment. This starts 1/2 hour before the couple wants the first picture taken. The clock stops when the bride/groom states that Company X can depart and all equipment deployed has been packed away.

The way I am reading this I will have to pay $400 for them to set up and pack up. Does this sound typical/normal? If not, do you think I should be able to negotiate this?

Thanks for your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBride10 View Post

The way I am reading this I will have to pay $400 for them to set up and pack up. Does this sound typical/normal? If not, do you think I should be able to negotiate this?

Thanks for your thoughts
That's part of it. It was very common in previous years and used by traditional photographers and those who do any kind of studio work. Many wedding photographer don't have that clause anymore though as it doesn't make much sense.
As in, if you are are doing say an family/engagement shoot and only need 1 hour. Do you get any shooting time or will it go towards your photographer's unpacking routine? :) Your photographer should be able to clarify this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsBride View Post
My photographer is pretty lax and actually just told me that I could write out my own contract, what I expected (wedding day, TTD session etc) and then we would come up with a price based on that. I found it difficult to work with his at home wedding packages because a destination wedding is so different. As for payment, I have worked with him before, so I will likely end up paying him just after we return from the trip.
Not to offend your photographer,but that's not very professional on his side. A lot of photographers use lawyers in creating contracts. They are there to protect both parties.
What happens if your photographers gets sick?
What if he/she loses your images?
What if you cancel
What if your photographers finds a new couple and cancels on you?
Who has the copyrights? - Actually in Canada the subject in the photo ALWAYS holds the copyrights unless photographers takes it via a release form. This is a new law). If your photographer does not specify anything in the contract, you can pretty much do anything you want with your pictures and at the same time forbid your photographers in using these images in any way)

9out10 wedding photographers are part timers and don't know much about contracts,laws and sometimes you need to make sure you are protected as a client too.

Because what happens if your $1000 photographer finds another couple 1 week before the wedding willing to pay him $3000? You can scream and yell,but without a proper contract you can't do anything(this happens quite a bit..)

Hope this helps :)

We paid 25% down and the rest is due within 1 week, seemed ok to me

Good points Dmitri - mind you I shuddered at reading the if the pictures get damaged and we get no pictures, limited liability on behalf of the photographer, yikes! Best not to think about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri_Markine View Post
Not to offend your photographer,but that's not very professional on his side. A lot of photographers use lawyers in creating contracts. They are there to protect both parties.
What happens if your photographers gets sick?
What if he/she loses your images?
What if you cancel
What if your photographers finds a new couple and cancels on you?
Who has the copyrights? - Actually in Canada the subject in the photo ALWAYS holds the copyrights unless photographers takes it via a release form. This is a new law). If your photographer does not specify anything in the contract, you can pretty much do anything you want with your pictures and at the same time forbid your photographers in using these images in any way)

9out10 wedding photographers are part timers and don't know much about contracts,laws and sometimes you need to make sure you are protected as a client too.

Because what happens if your $1000 photographer finds another couple 1 week before the wedding willing to pay him $3000? You can scream and yell,but without a proper contract you can't do anything(this happens quite a bit..)

Hope this helps :)
Thanks for your info. I should have maybe been more clear. I didn't mean to indicate that we are not going to do a contract. He has a standard contract as far as that goes, its just not specific to destination weddings. So that's why I said that we are going to format one together with all of the legal aspects as well as what it is that I am wanting from him. He is not a part time photog, he works as a full time photographer, but is just getting back into destination weddings now that his kids are older.

But again, thank you for the info and I will absolutely make sure both parties are protected in the contract. Your photos are beautiful by the way.

• VIP Member

Hi Danielle!

This forum has a TON of awesome photographers who I'm sure would be willing to photograph your wedding in Mexico!

As for a DJ, I have heard of DJ Bijan being really reasonable.

Best wishes!