My ring is turning gold already!!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 Fivecents

Fivecents
  • Site Supporter
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

I had mine rhodium plated as well and he proposed in April 09 and when I brought it in to get it sized a few weeks later, they sent it to get plated and it hasn't been a year since and it would be due for another dip soon.

The Jeweller told me it depends what you do with your hands, lotions, soapy water, anti-bacterial lotions....ect. and how often you do use those products.

#32 **Kat**

**Kat**
    • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

Does anyone know about how much it costs to get them dipped?

#33 *Lo*

*Lo*
      • 2,993 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by BrideMichele
        Ummmm... my ring is Platinum and have I had it for 2 years. I have worn the inside of it as I am hard on my ring but it is still pure in color (the color has never changed and I have never had it 'dipped' in anything).

Does anyone actually have a Platinum ring that needed to be dipped?
        I've had mine 2 years and it's platinum and looks about the same as it did when I got it but it does have a few scratches on the bottom. I've never heard of dipping it though. I clean it once a week and then it's as shiny as ever after I do that. I do take it off though a lot like when showering and if I am going swimming or something like that. I don't know if that makes a difference.

#34 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 9,532 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by butterfly4kathy2
          Does anyone know about how much it costs to get them dipped?
          This has already been answered a couple of times in this thread.

#35 **Kat**

**Kat**
          • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

Oh, duh! I guess I didn't see that. I think I need some more coffee or something! I will go back and look! Thanks!

#36 chevy14

chevy14
            • 183 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

I've had my white gold ring about a year now and I don't see any signs of yellowing yet...but I am amazed by how scuffed up it looks upon close inspection...

#37 Jess3414

Jess3414
              • 218 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

I hadn't heard of this before but just looked down at my ring and noticed it's doing the same thing!! AHH!

#38 bride2be31011

bride2be31011
                • 79 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

I talked to my jeweler yesterday and they told me that it's good to get it redipped at least once a year.

#39 mochamakes3

mochamakes3
                  • 1,917 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

I think it really depends on what metals were mixed to make the "white" gold. FI's band is white gold and I hope we never have to dip it because it was purchased from a high quality jeweler. My rings are both platinum. I do notice that the bottom of my e-ring is a little scratched from wearing, but the top looks great. I have a lot of stones on mine, so maybe that's why it looks more white?

#40 82turtles

82turtles
                    • 297 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:02 PM

Your ring looks more white because Platinum is a actual white metal.  Your FI's white gold band is a mixture of metals to give it a white-ish tone, but it's base is still gold and over time it will require re-plating in rhodium to give it back that white look.

Platinum rings do not require plating; however, with general wear, over time it will develop scratches and dings, but those are easily buffed out.

Originally Posted by mochamakes3 

I think it really depends on what metals were mixed to make the "white" gold. FI's band is white gold and I hope we never have to dip it because it was purchased from a high quality jeweler. My rings are both platinum. I do notice that the bottom of my e-ring is a little scratched from wearing, but the top looks great. I have a lot of stones on mine, so maybe that's why it looks more white?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users