Photo

Anyone getting married first and not telling guests?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 Mere

Mere
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

We are getting married the Friday before we leave for Cancun-woohoo! Resort and Wedding booked and now trying to book a photographer and videographer.

#52 Iamalldiva

Iamalldiva
    • 163 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the thread and the food for thought!!!

#53 Fireweed

Fireweed
      • 77 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Just a note to the Canadian girls, I'm also getting married here first and then doing a renewal of vows ceremony in Cuba. I was talking to my wedding coordinator and she requires a copy of the marriage certificate faxed over prior to the ceremony date, so we'll be getting married about a month before we leave. It can take a few weeks for the marriage certificate to arrive in the mail after you send away for it, but here in Manitoba we also have the option of paying $50 extra to have it expedited, and basically get it the next day.

I'm sure there's something like it in the other provinces as well, it's worth taking a look!

#54 jhartford19

jhartford19
        • 187 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

We are getting married at home first as well. We were originally going to get legally married in the DR, but then I found out that my time to get legally married would be 11:00am and I would have a symbolic ceremony at 4:00 (the time I want to get married). I figure what is the point of legally getting married there if no one is going to see it anyway. I was told the judge will walk up the beach and have us sign the papers and that would basically be it....how unromantic!

#55 miss_delerium

miss_delerium
          • 543 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Fireweed
            Just a note to the Canadian girls, I'm also getting married here first and then doing a renewal of vows ceremony in Cuba. I was talking to my wedding coordinator and she requires a copy of the marriage certificate faxed over prior to the ceremony date, so we'll be getting married about a month before we leave. It can take a few weeks for the marriage certificate to arrive in the mail after you send away for it, but here in Manitoba we also have the option of paying $50 extra to have it expedited, and basically get it the next day.

I'm sure there's something like it in the other provinces as well, it's worth taking a look!
            Thanks for the heads up! That's good to know.

#56 niecimar

niecimar
            • 83 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

I got married 10 days before my ceremony in DR and only my siblings and parents knew since it was a small thing in City Hall just to legalize everything.
              Denise & Ziggy
              June 5, 2010
              http://www.youtube.c..../0/38XwzNwQb-A

#57 jennster_04

jennster_04
              • 176 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

We wanted to get married first then just have a symbolic cermony and not tell guests but if we get married i would have to change my name and passport. SO i think we will get married when we get back
                Married August 10, 2010 at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal!!!

#58 atrott

atrott
                • 208 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

I'd still be stressing out about documents & $$ if it weren't for this thread! We're going to 'sneak off' to the courthous beforhand & do the legal ceremony before heading down to the DR. It's only $60 for a marriage license here versus over $500 to have all of our documents translated!

#59 Oryx

Oryx
                  • 727 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by jennster_04
                    We wanted to get married first then just have a symbolic cermony and not tell guests but if we get married i would have to change my name and passport. SO i think we will get married when we get back
                    I don't think there is anything forcing you to change your name and passport before you leave -- why not just do that when you come back?

#60 barbiegirl_27

barbiegirl_27
                    • 946 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Oryx
                      I don't think there is anything forcing you to change your name and passport before you leave -- why not just do that when you come back?
                      I was thinking the same thing....you can change your name at any stage of the game I believe....I know I wasn't planning on changing anything until after our trip b/c I don't feel like getting a new passport but we'll be officially married a couple months before!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users