Sign in to follow this  
JuneWeddingDreams

HELP!! Cancun Brides Legal Marriage Documents?

Are there any brides that will be or were legally married in Cancun? If so, what paperwork did you have to bring down with you. I have noticed there are some mixed reviews/feedback on this topic. Some websites say you need to have the following...

1. certified copies of your birth certificates

2. passports and tourist card

3. certified copy of divorce decrees (if applicable)

4. 4 witnesses

While others say that in #1 you have to have your birth certificates legalized by the Consulate of Mexico. Do the resorts take care of this or do I need to do this?

I am second guessing myself now.

I also would like to know if they keep this documentation or do they just make a copy? I don't want to give them my only copy so if they keep it I will request a new one. Help please!

I'm having a legal ceremony as well! I don't think I really have any answers either though. I was thinking about e-mail Cecilia about it. From what I read you have to bring your birth certificate, tourist card (what you get when you get into Mexico) and they would take care of getting the birth certificate translated and any other paperwork when you are in Mexico.

What is worrying me is that is says on the dreams website its not legal in the US until the WC gets the paper work and mails it to our home state which could take 1-4 months.

Hopefully there are other brides out there that have done this and can help us out :)

I'm not sure how much help I am because I'm Canadian, but I had to have my documents legalized prior to being in Mexico. I do remember that different resorts had different requirements though, so I think your best bet is getting in touch with your resort WC. They should be able to give you specifics as to what you need to do. Good luck!

hey lindsey if you go on the Dreams site, it shows you exactly what you need and how many days before hand you have to be there; when i was deciding b/t a legal or symbolic ceremony, i noticed that each resort had different rules. Dreams will take care of the certification and interpretation of documents for you as well as the blood tests. Also (if you don't know) I talked with Cecilia a/b writing our own ceremony and that I wanted an officiant who read and spoke English very well b/c I want our guest to understand what's going on. She said it wasn't a problem b/c we're just having a symbolic ceremony BUT with a legal ceremony, the judge performs the ceremony in SPANISH and there is a translator there; just something else to think about with a legal ceremony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina24 View Post
hey lindsey if you go on the Dreams site, it shows you exactly what you need and how many days before hand you have to be there; when i was deciding b/t a legal or symbolic ceremony, i noticed that each resort had different rules. Dreams will take care of the certification and interpretation of documents for you as well as the blood tests. Also (if you don't know) I talked with Cecilia a/b writing our own ceremony and that I wanted an officiant who read and spoke English very well b/c I want our guest to understand what's going on. She said it wasn't a problem b/c we're just having a symbolic ceremony BUT with a legal ceremony, the judge performs the ceremony in SPANISH and there is a translator there; just something else to think about with a legal ceremony!
Well that's odd because I told her I wanted a legal ceremony and she said they can perform them in English. Guess I'll be e-mailing her today as well! Thanks for the heads up.

Andim...let me know what she tells you and I'll do the same...I have an email off to her today.

Very contradicting information from multiple brides. I am curious to see how she responds. I sent her our written ceremony script with the legal marriage pieces left out for them to add on as needed from the officiant. I will see what she says and then I would be happy to share with you what we have.

Alright ladies I heard back from Cecilia already. She was very quick to respond today. The only things we need are those I have listed in my original post. She said she will make copies of the originals and that will be sufficient so you don't have to give her the originals.

She also said that the officiants are fluent in English and that there shouldn't be an issue with anyone trying to understand them. She did say that the ceremony script I sent her I should try and cut down a little or have a couple people from our group read pieces of it. The officiants tend to like to stick to their legal portions of the ceremony which is understandable. So I think I'll have my FI sister read the sand ceremony and leave the rest to the officiant to complete.

I am glad I asked...this whole legal ceremony seems so much easier than I expected now that I have all the answers... :)