Any 2011 Brides out there?

• Please log in to reply
3537 replies to this topic

#191 mexbride83

• 309 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the spreadsheet Raychel! I'm going to come back and open it when I finally reach "Junior Member" status:) I shouldn't need to look at photogs until then anyways. But I am totally with you on almost all of your requirements, so I think it'll be very useful for me.

prettypigpig - just a warning that I've seen on other threads - apparently they will ban you for requesting attachments to be emailed to you. The point is to make sure that only people who are activer on the forums get the "privilege" of opening attachments, etc.

#192 mexbride83

• 309 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

Sorry for the back-to-back post, but forgot to respond to the "us vs. them" discussion about choosing a resort, because this has been a big issue for us. I'm actually the opposite of most of you, and my fiance is with all of you! I keep stressing the prices so much because I want the trip to be affordable for our guests, I don't want my best friends and family members to have to spend a fortune to come to our wedding. Especially not my bridesmaids! Nor do I want people to not come because it is so expensive. My fiance, on the other hand, has a very "let's choose what we like and if people come then they come" attitude towards it all. If he had his way, we would've booked The Veranda in Turks and Caicos loooong ago (started at $530 per night per couple!). He is more of the spender, I'm the more savvy one.

Personally, I think there needs to be a balance between what you want and what people can afford. It needs to be a resort you love and that you really picture your wedding at. But at the same time, you do need to take your guests into consideration, and not choosing a 5-star, bust-the-bank resort (like Veranda). This is why we're leaning towards Ceiba del Mar. It is more pricey than the larger resorts, yet it isn't so pricey that it'd inhibit most people from coming. And it's the resort that both of us have fallen in love with, not just one that I like and he thinks is okay.

#193 CeeCee76

• 235 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

The reason we aren't as concerned with affordablitly is that we were either going to go to Cancun and it be just us or we were going to the courthouse in Baltimore. I never wanted a big wedding and I wasn't going to have one anyway. I have a great circle of friends and family who truly believe your wedding should be what you want and not what everyone else wants. I know not everyone has that, but our family and friends are very understanding. Alot of them went to the courthouse to avoid having a wedding and spending a lot of money. Did you ever consider just having a wedding in DC that way you save your guests a lot of money?
        ~January 11, 2011~ Sun Palace, Cancun, Mexico~Our wedding review

#194 kurlyks

• 176 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

mexbride83- I'm with you on the whole price thing. I'm really trying to look out for our wedding party as well. With everyone else it's a "come if you want to, but we'll understand if you don't" type of thing, but with our wedding party I'm worried they'll feel really pressured to spend a lot of money.

I'm not actually sure if anyone realizes how much money it's going to be yet. Since we haven't picked a place and/or sent out anything "official" it's all still very vague. All our friends and family are really excited and talking about all the things they want to do, but I'm sure once we start talking $$ it'll be a whole different story!

We're going to include a section on our website that discusses all the reasons why we picked our resort (when we pick it of course.....). Our assumption is that if it's worth it to them to spend $ anyway, they won't want to stay someplace crappy for their vacation.
          May 7th, 2011 ~ Playacar Palace Resort

#195 roxmysockz

• 418 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

Raychel - thanks so much for posting! Agree with most of your comments on there. 1 or 2 photographers I hadnt looked at so thats given me some extra ideas.

Your want list appears to be the same as mine! :)

#196 roxmysockz

• 418 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Oh btw who did you end up booking?

#197 RaychelRae

• 446 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

You're all welcome!

roxmysockz - I ended up going with Ivan Luckie. He seemed to have everything I was looking for and his prices were great! I've heard great reviews about him and he has always been very good at responding to all my questions and emails.

mexbride83 - Regarding the "us vs. them", I think I was more easily persuaded to side with "us" considering the fact that my family is very much a "vacation" kind of family. Any chance to get out and they're all about it. Plus, this is our honeymoon as well, so I think that is what made me a bit more selfish in choosing where we go (granted we will pry move to another location after the wedding). You need to stick with how you feel and what works for you two because I completely understand where you're coming from. If you are feeling that bad about making your guests pay more, it will be tough to shake that feeling off and you will end up worrying more than enjoying yourself.

Tifuhhnee - I love your planning blog! I never thought of that, but its a great idea! I have GOBS of photos, lists, etc. for ideas that I like and a blog is a great way to organize them all, not to mention share them! Touche!

#198 Nicyx

• 2,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

CeeCee76.... fingers crossed for both of us regarding our lovely sisters :-)

Michelle2011, YIPEE!!! Fantastic news for you, thats brillant.. Im wishing hard for you that the prices are out sooner rather than later. How exciting :-)

Wow there a few date twins now for Jan 11 2011... wonder if i get a date twin!! lol.

mexbride83... dont get me wrong, Were not totally forgetting guests as we have opted for a family friendly resort over another resorts we were looking at to start with, as some family and friends have kids so we have come to a compromise on this one, and luckily the resort we have chosen isnt "that" expensive but i know a lot of friends and family wont be able to afford the prices, for 1 week per couple your looking at around £2500 give or take (sorry not sure what the dollar equivelent is) and that is average really based on last years prices (and some this year) and as much as i want all our friends and family at our wedding, i just know most wouldnt be able to afford it.... so we have just opted for what we want as we have never really wanted a "BIG" wedding anyway... and most friends and family have known this is something we have always wanted from the begining and are ok with this (I Think) :-)
                  I suppose its each to their own really and were all doing what were all comfortable with, I guess it will be always as controversial subject and im sure a big discussion topic with our partners!!! x
                  Why is when i read back what im saying it never reads the way i mean it to sound... haha, but im sure you kind of get what i mean!?!? :-)

Ooooo.... Michelle2011... just a quick question, has it worked out cheaper for you booking the hol through TA and then booking the wedding direct? or was this done because of the problems your friend experienced and your just avoiding this (and cost was about same)

#199 Riri09

• 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

For those debating the cost issue, here are a few non-AI condo/hotels that I'm going to check out when we head down. It looks like they run from $250-400/night, depending upon your season, but some appear to have two+ bedrooms/sleep 4-6 so that the cost could be divided amoung those staying at the condos.

This is the company page -

Documento sin t­tulo

These are the loco gringo links -

The Elements: Condominiums, Playa del Carmen vacation rental, Mexico

Encanto Corto Maltes: Playa del Carmen condominiums, Riviera Maya, Mexico

Encanto El Faro: Hotel: Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, Mexico

They may not pan out but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! They look nice.

#200 Nicyx

• 2,914 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

RaychelRae... Sorry i forgot to mention, yes i agree with everyone your list is brilliant... but im the same as Michelle2011 on this as flying a photographer for the UK or even geting an outside vendor is just way to expensive for us so we are opting for the on site one..... :-)

And as for the planning blog that is defnatly something i need to look into as its agreat idea x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users