Any 2011 Brides out there?

.......... EXCITING NEWS FLASH ..........

MICHELLE YOU WILL LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS:

smile123.gif

THOMAS COOK PHONED ME TODAY AND SUMMER 2011 PRICES GO ON SALE IN THE UK ON 29TH APRIL 2010.... ONLY 28 DAYS TO GO :-) YIPEE!!!!!

thewave.gif

bet u will both be straight in there :-) A TIP - do go in the first day as we went in 4 days after the prices came out and a group booking had already taken the 2 weeks we wanted at the end of jan and there was no availability for another group booking as we needed 7 rooms and they only had 4 left so we had to bring our dates forward a week and that as i say was after the prices had only been out 4 days! Also when Thomson were showing no availabilty we said we would try at Thomas Cook instead (the TA we saw is one of FI mates wife) she said we all have the same system so we can check their room availability as well and she showed us on their screen so you dont need to keep going from one TA to the next. If you haggle with them which we did they will give you on the online prices and not the ones in the brochure so make a note of these prices as well as they are always cheaper. You really do need to go in with def numbers in mind though as they can give you an exact quote and they held these for us for 4 working days before they were released - we had to be quite firm with people and say 'are you coming or not no faffing around' - lol. This really was the most stressful part we have come across so far - FI walked out after arguing with his bro on the phone - i suddenly became the mediator. Also they will only want numbers and yours and your FI name the rest of the guests as this stage are just numbers and there names can be changed right up until 6 weeks before you go - which is handy if someone drops out and someone else joins which is what happened to us. Other than that its a walk in the park.

Ill be thinking of u on the 29th u will have to let me know how you get on.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicyx View Post

smile123.gif

THOMAS COOK PHONED ME TODAY AND SUMMER 2011 PRICES GO ON SALE IN THE UK ON 29TH APRIL 2010.... ONLY 28 DAYS TO GO :-) YIPEE!!!!!

thewave.gif

bet u will both be straight in there :-) A TIP - do go in the first day as we went in 4 days after the prices came out and a group booking had already taken the 2 weeks we wanted at the end of jan and there was no availability for another group booking as we needed 7 rooms and they only had 4 left so we had to bring our dates forward a week and that as i say was after the prices had only been out 4 days! Also when Thomson were showing no availabilty we said we would try at Thomas Cook instead (the TA we saw is one of FI mates wife) she said we all have the same system so we can check their room availability as well and she showed us on their screen so you dont need to keep going from one TA to the next. If you haggle with them which we did they will give you on the online prices and not the ones in the brochure so make a note of these prices as well as they are always cheaper. You really do need to go in with def numbers in mind though as they can give you an exact quote and they held these for us for 4 working days before they were released - we had to be quite firm with people and say 'are you coming or not no faffing around' - lol. This really was the most stressful part we have come across so far - FI walked out after arguing with his bro on the phone - i suddenly became the mediator. Also they will only want numbers and yours and your FI name the rest of the guests as this stage are just numbers and there names can be changed right up until 6 weeks before you go - which is handy if someone drops out and someone else joins which is what happened to us. Other than that its a walk in the park.

OMG Nicy i am so excited now! It's so close to us booking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet you were so excited once you got that call..... Its lovely news. I just hope we dont loose our date!!!

Are you booking everyone together? Is this the best or maybe booking and telling people details and letting them book up themselves?? We are a bit up in the air. I dont want added stress collecting ppl's money/deposits etc....Arrrrggghhh i dont know what to do for the best! Do you get a good discount on groups?

Josietoms i would be gutted if i had to change my dates as it fits in so nicely for everyone and the half term holiday for the kids too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by josietoms View Post

OMG Nicy i am so excited now! It's so close to us booking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet you were so excited once you got that call..... Its lovely news. I just hope we dont loose our date!!!

Are you booking everyone together? Is this the best or maybe booking and telling people details and letting them book up themselves?? We are a bit up in the air. I dont want added stress collecting ppl's money/deposits etc....Arrrrggghhh i dont know what to do for the best! Do you get a good discount on groups?

Josietoms i would be gutted if i had to change my dates as it fits in so nicely for everyone and the half term holiday for the kids too.....

The discount was 10% this was off the internet prices as well but this was because it was a group booking. We had 15 of us with 7 rooms. The other 3 coming have booked seperately with Thomas Cook as there was no room left with Thomson. One thing i would say if people all book seperately you will have to make it clear that them attending your wedding rests on them making their booking asap - as the TA could only have 6 rooms left for the weeks you require and mr and mrs smith go online or into another shop and snap up one of those rooms - then you are having people saying i cant get the dates you said. We are lucky as we only have immediate family and my best mate attending so money hasnt been an issue. Seriously it got quite heated during some of decision making - once we paid the deposit i was so relaxed. Also remember you probably wont get married until your 2nd week anyway as you have to be there 5 working days so some people may want to come out after you have left anyway. I think we were told Thomson fly to cancun on Fridays and Thomas Cook on Sundays.

I dont envy you having to book for the half term week as thats another excuse for them to push up the prices!!! But i suppose thats the same with any school holiday times and its not like you have a choice - they are so cheeky!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2011 View Post

The discount was 10% this was off the internet prices as well but this was because it was a group booking. We had 15 of us with 7 rooms. The other 3 coming have booked seperately with Thomas Cook as there was no room left with Thomson. One thing i would say if people all book seperately you will have to make it clear that them attending your wedding rests on them making their booking asap - as the TA could only have 6 rooms left for the weeks you require and mr and mrs smith go online or into another shop and snap up one of those rooms - then you are having people saying i cant get the dates you said. We are lucky as we only have immediate family and my best mate attending so money hasnt been an issue. Seriously it got quite heated during some of decision making - once we paid the deposit i was so relaxed. Also remember you probably wont get married until your 2nd week anyway as you have to be there 5 working days so some people may want to come out after you have left anyway. I think we were told Thomson fly to cancun on Fridays and Thomas Cook on Sundays.

I dont envy you having to book for the half term week as thats another excuse for them to push up the prices!!! But i suppose thats the same with any school holiday times and its not like you have a choice - they are so cheeky!!!

Thanks for the advice! It's much appreciated. I think we may go with the group booking then just to make sure everyone is booked and coming! I can see that Thomas Cook already have flights out in April 2011 and they are on a sunday so we are hoping to go on 22nd May! If all goes to plan. I know the school holidays are a joke but i didn't want to take Harrison out of school for 2 weeks and others coming with kids appreciated the half term being in the middle too. I'm hoping as we are booking so early we will still get a good deal.

By the way no we are not having mother and son and father and daughter dances...... Our first dance will probably take place at the AHR. Plus my dad isn't coming so i couldn't have a father daughter dance even if i wanted to in Mexico! lol.... I've never been to a wedding where they have had them! Nice idea though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicyx View Post

smile123.gif

thewave.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by josietoms View Post

josietoms... thanks for the tip :-) useful to know incase plan A doesnt work...

at the mo i think were just going to go for the cheapest price in may I think we will go in and i will get her to price up all of may so i know which 2 weeks are the cheapest!! :-) we havent really got an exact date in mind... just the cheapest!!! I have a million and one questions to ask aswell about single bookings and group bookings etc and what if peeps book through different TA's etc.

Thanks Josietoms, im sure you will be one of the first to know what happens on the 29th.... watch this space :-) Is it definatly 5 days as we were told 3 days? i think i may need to ask this again!!!

Michelle, really not sure yet how guests will book? as we really cant confirm numbers, i think the best thing to do is find out whats wot with my questions, i may even phone them 2moz (im off for 4 days now with the bank hol... As I work in a building society... A WHOLE 4 DAYS OF WEDDINGY THINGS, LOL) with my questions then when it comes to booking i will have a better idea? nervous now aswell... argh, its becoming more & more real by the day :-)

Aww Michelle i do hope for the sake of 10 days they will let you re-hold the wedding date, might be worth emailing them and seeing if they can do that for you?

xoxox

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2011 View Post

josietoms... thanks for the tip :-) useful to know incase plan A doesnt work...

at the mo i think were just going to go for the cheapest price in may I think we will go in and i will get her to price up all of may so i know which 2 weeks are the cheapest!! :-) we havent really got an exact date in mind... just the cheapest!!! I have a million and one questions to ask aswell about single bookings and group bookings etc and what if peeps book through different TA's etc.

Thanks Josietoms, im sure you will be one of the first to know what happens on the 29th.... watch this space :-) Is it definatly 5 days as we were told 3 days? i think i may need to ask this again!!!

Michelle, really not sure yet how guests will book? as we really cant confirm numbers, i think the best thing to do is find out whats wot with my questions, i may even phone them 2moz (im off for 4 days now with the bank... As I work in a building society... A WHOLE 4 DAYS OF WEDDINGY THINGS, LOL) with my questions then when it comes to booking i will have a better idea? nervous now aswell... argh, its becoming more & more real by the day :-)

Aww Michelle i do hope for the sake of 10 days they will let you re-hold the wedding date, might be worth emailing them and seeing if they can do that for you?

xoxox

I know who is defo coming on my side but Dan needs to confirm if his nan's are coming so i'll get him to give them a call. The time has come when they need to give us a yes or a no! Some of our friends we know are coming for 10 days and they are booking separate so we may just book family together and then leave the rest to others to do. I'll just make it clear "the sooner they book the better" I'm sure everyone will book asap though!

Yes i might email the WC and just update her on our situation. Let her know we may not be able to book till the end of April and will she be willing to hold the date till then.....

so scarily close now!! 4 days off, i love the long weekends! I work term time so i have 2 wk's off now :o)..... 14 days of wedding dreaming, hee hee!!

with regards to days you have to be out there it is definately 5 its in the back of both TC & Thomson brochures just double checked. I would say TA at both companies are pretty much useless ie; all the questions you ask them about how long u have to be out there they just look in the back of the brochure. You learn more from the UK forums and ones like this as well. I booked my actual wedding through Thomson as well not direct with the hotel which they cost seperately and just treat it as an additional holiday. Ironically it was cheaper to book it through them than the hotel itself. Im sure everything will go swimmingly - my other half is just so hot headed and neither of us have any patience. Fingers crossed for you. Oh so love this bank hols lark - shame its gonna rain in Kent most the time - LOL - i can spend the days dreaming of mexico :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxmysockz View Post
Phew!!! I was starting to think it was just me!

wow thats a big difference in size!!

Thanks im planning to try again sat with my bridesmaid hopefully i'll like it more but i'm not sure.

Hope you find something soon - let us know when you do :)
I have actually ordered a dress online....and i'm a little worried about it arriving and looking like the pic.

I was lucky enough to have my MOH with me for shopping, and she was very opinionated (but in a good way).....she took charge when I needed her too, and knew what I was looking for. Originally a couple other friends were supposed to come, but wanted to try on dresses for fun.....I was glad when they couldn't come b/c i didn't feel they'd be very focused on helping me!

Wow, I didn't realize May 28, 2011 would be during a UK school break as well! It's a holiday here in the US... which means travel on that weekend will be more expensive and busier than usual! I'm nervous about our resort being full now. I did get a room block, so at least we'll have most of the rooms we need set aside for us (we blocked less than we estimated we'd need, in case some people changed their minds in the next 14 months).

I'm also nervous that the non-wedding guests at our resort are going to hate us hahaha. It's a small resort, so half the resort will be wedding guests and half will be non-wedding people. All the reviews about our resort talk about it being a peaceful, relaxing vacation. But with our 80 wedding guests, about half of which are young people there to party, it definitely won't be peaceful! Oh well, I guess that'll be their problem and not ours:)

I had no idea that father-daughter and mother-son dances were an American tradition! I've never been to a wedding that didn't have them. I wonder if we have other traditions that differ? What about bouquet and garter tosses? I went to a wedding in Peru where the bride held out an opaque glass with ribbons coming out of it, and all the single girls pulled out a ribbon. The girl who had a little ring at the end of her ribbon was the next to be married. I thought that was very cute, and better than girls clobbering each other for a bouquet!