Any 2011 Brides out there?

Hey all! Just caught up on about 15 pages of messages... wow!

My fiance is still undecided about whether or not he is going to wear his uniform. If he doesn't wear his uniform, he'll wear the same thing as the groomsmen, which is a navy blue blazer, khaki pants, white shirt, and tie. The wedding will be either rooftop or on a pier, so no sand and a little more formal. We're buying all of the guys Vineyard Vines ties, and maybe their pants as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm going to buy all the girls $100 gift certificates to J.Crew to help pay for their BM dress (its $225). I'm letting them pick their own shoes (heels) and decide on their own if they want hair/makeup done.

Linhy - That is really difficult about your fiance's step sister, but I think if she is 20 years old and not working, then I understand why she is concerned. However, I don't think that is your problem at all. I think that is something that she needs to discuss with her parents. My parents plan to pay for my brother and his wife, and my fiance's parents are paying for his brother and sister... even though all our siblings work and make money, they just want to pay for them to help out.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tara: Yeah don't worry just breathe and take it a easy or else it'll drive you nuts it did for me for a while. So I learned to take mini breaks as possible and have fun with it you know and then go back to you.

Nice!! which travel agent are you using?? You should use Melissa if you have select a person yet. We are having people book individually through our travel agent we posted on our website with her contact info. and everything. But we did let our guest know that there's a deadline for booking and returning the RSVP. We need the RSVP by June 21 and also the first deposit if they plan on staying at our resort. It's easier to set a deadline for people.

mexbride83: I love Jcrew!! that's so nice of you to get giftcards. See about the step-sister I don't mine paying for her but the way she approach it was kind of strange. She paid for her trip to her friends but then she can't save for us? She is a college student and is working full time. I mean I understand I was once a college student before and money doesn't come easy when it comes to big trips. See I have 2 other siblings too. I told her where ever I am having my bridal shower and bach. party I can fly her to where ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhy View Post
Nice!! which travel agent are you using?? You should use Melissa if you have select a person yet. We are having people book individually through our travel agent we posted on our website with her contact info. and everything. But we did let our guest know that there's a deadline for booking and returning the RSVP. We need the RSVP by June 21 and also the first deposit if they plan on staying at our resort. It's easier to set a deadline for people.
We are using Nanda. She is who I spoke to yesterday for almost an hour answering all my questions!

it's smart of you to set the June 21 deadline because you don't want to worry about the resort selling out. I think that's the way to go.

That's one good thing about the room blocks is you dont have to worry about selling out, but it's tough to estimate how many guests will book for sure and then you could be out the deposit if you fall below.

Linhy - I definitely don't think that you should have to pay for the stepsister! It's your day, and you really shouldn't be concerned with anyone else's finances. I was just saying that I can sympathize with her, being a poor grad student and all haha. But I would never ask my brother and his wife to pay for me to go to their wedding! I would ask my parents though:) That's what I think she should do if she really can't afford it.

Bonnie - your honeymoon sounds awesome! 3 whole weeks off, I'm so jealous. There are few companies that let people take that much time off all at once, so you're very lucky. I lived in Phuket, Thailand for a year after undergrad (teaching English), so if you go there and need any advice, let me know!

Where is everyone else planning to honeymoon? In Mexico? Go somewhere after Mexico? Or do the honeymoon at a later time?

My fiance and I are planning a "minimoon" - leaving Mexico two days after our wedding and going to Napa Valley for 4 nights. Since my fiance is taking a week off for the wedding, we couldn't do much more than another 4 days for the honeymoon (will end up making it 2 work weeks total). We'll be flying to Hawaii (where we'll be living then) from Cancun, so we thought a stop in Napa would be a good break in the travel, and it's nice that it's on the way. We're hoping to do our real honeymoon over Christmas 2011/New Years. Because we'll be living in the islands, we're thinking of doing a non-beachy, more adventurous honeymoon. Right now New Zealand is our #1 choice! Fingers crossed we can afford it, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexbride83 View Post
Linhy - I definitely don't think that you should have to pay for the stepsister! It's your day, and you really shouldn't be concerned with anyone else's finances. I was just saying that I can sympathize with her, being a poor grad student and all haha. But I would never ask my brother and his wife to pay for me to go to their wedding! I would ask my parents though:) That's what I think she should do if she really can't afford it.

Bonnie - your honeymoon sounds awesome! 3 whole weeks off, I'm so jealous. There are few companies that let people take that much time off all at once, so you're very lucky. I lived in Phuket, Thailand for a year after undergrad (teaching English), so if you go there and need any advice, let me know!

Where is everyone else planning to honeymoon? In Mexico? Go somewhere after Mexico? Or do the honeymoon at a later time?

My fiance and I are planning a "minimoon" - leaving Mexico two days after our wedding and going to Napa Valley for 4 nights. Since my fiance is taking a week off for the wedding, we couldn't do much more than another 4 days for the honeymoon (will end up making it 2 work weeks total). We'll be flying to Hawaii (where we'll be living then) from Cancun, so we thought a stop in Napa would be a good break in the travel, and it's nice that it's on the way. We're hoping to do our real honeymoon over Christmas 2011/New Years. Because we'll be living in the islands, we're thinking of doing a non-beachy, more adventurous honeymoon. Right now New Zealand is our #1 choice! Fingers crossed we can afford it, haha.
Oh! WOW New Zealand is an amazing place! Never been that part of the world yet, but my grannies are living in Perth, and it seems to be that there is another world down there.
Sure, do u know any good tattoo artist in Phuket? My FI is somehow into tattoos, and he really wants a 3rd one before he becomes a dad ( don't ask me why...I never get this part...but hey, I guess it is like he never figure why I spent so much time on this forum or flipping wedding magazines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhy View Post
Bonnie: Yeah I was gonna ask how are the prices in Hong Kong. I have a friend he lives in the states here but he gets all his clothes there. I wonder if like designer brand are cheaper there?
Usually, it is the same price as in US or CHEAPER. If they go on sale, it is definately CHEAPER in HK. In addition, you will have much more choices in HK, you will also see the Japanese brands and get clothes that fit "asian" size.
Don't forget to visit Sasa (the asian Sephora), you can get a lot of asian/japanese beauty products, if you are a fan of SK II, you can get a better price in HK than in USA.

TARA- Yeah def. try to set a deadline for people. We have people already sending the RSVP back already and knowing that they are coming for sure. Also they already contact our travel agent for prices and airfare which is great. Yeah that's what I put on my website deadline for RSVP and also first deposit to block rooms. Dreams is a very popular place and I want to make sure I give enough time frame where it won't sell out. You know how some people are with last minute decisions as well.

mexbride83- Thanks for your advice I feel better now. No, believe me the step-sister actually gets money from the parents still. Or else how she is renting a place on her own.

Bonnie- Thanks!!!! I'll make sure I'll do that on my list of things to do and see. Omg!! I am so excited to go there now. All I want to do is eat and SHOP!!!!!!! do you have any favorite places? Do shop at any of their boutiques shops? Are you going on your honeymoon right after your wedding?