Mexico Wedding Dilema/Newbie

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mercedm

• 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hi,my name is Merced and am thinking of planning a destination for the spring of 2011. I probably would have done it sooner but I can't make up my mind about the resorts. I have narrowed it to a least a location: Mexico

I have two ideas.
    1. A wedding at a Mexican hacienda ( im an aspiring photographer and obsessed with scenery and backgrounds for getting great pictures, hacienda are great for this) And then a honeymoon at an all inclusive.

2. Wedding and honeymoon at all inclusive

The reason why I even thought of the first idea is because I really don't like the scenery of resorts. They don't seem to have a lot "uniqueness to them" and all I really wanted was to have a garden wedding under a beautiful gazebo exactly like this Click the image to open in full size. an it seems like resorts don't have that set-up

If you have seen Elizabeth medinas photography (mexico) and check out her hacienda wedding pictures they have sooooo much character.

If anyone knows of a resort in Mexico that has that kind of gazebo and garden please let me know, otherwise there you have it.

#2 Tifuhhknee

• 631 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

I think one of the Iberostars in Riviera Maya has a garden gazebo. There are actually LOTS of gazebo options out there, some on the beach and others in the "jungle." Good luck on your search and I hope you find what you are looking for! Enough searching on this forum should lead you in the right direction.
      Destination Wedding: April 21, 2011
      At Home Reception: May 7, 2011
      25 guests + bride + groom booked

My Wedding Planning Notes

#3 Destination Scout

Destination Scout
      • 600 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Are you wanting a beach? If not, then I might suggest Merida, which is where Elizabeth is based. Gabriela at simplyperfectmexico@gmail.com is really nice to work with. I didn't choose her as my coordinator but it was only because I didn't have my wedding in Merida. She is American and puts together reasonable, clear budgets and prices.

If you do want a beach, you might want to check with Julieta at floresjulieta@prodigy.net.mx. She is a local wedding coordinator in Cancun. She does a lot of weddings at private properties and the last time I was in the RM she was restoring an old house.

#4 Jenna in Jamaica

Jenna in Jamaica
        • 166 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Love love love that gazebo. I wanted a gazebo too like that but couldn't find any at a resort in Jamaica that wouldn't cost a fortune. So I had to compromise for a less scenic gazebo. good luck

#5 baj

• 1,555 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:52 PM

hi, congrat's & welcome to the forum

#6 allyson779

• 238 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Welcome and congratulations.
              I originally did not want my wedding at an AI or resort because of the similar reasons- lack of privacy & uniqueness, but after talking to some of the local wedding planners (not hotel coordinators) they pointed out some great venues and ideas which were right in line with what I imagined. Sometimes websites and hotel packages that are presented only give you a generic point of view, but a local planner can help you with other options that you might not know even exist.
              Bride & Groom plus 86 booked!!!

#7 Sylvie143

• 181 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

Lovely Gazebo! Congrats!

#8 ktchi

• 220 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

Hi, Welcome and Congratulations. I agree about the lack of character of many of the resorts, but I decided that the convenience of the AI just was too hard to resist. I wanted someplace where we could all spend time together without any worries. I also hate planning things and most of the AI's do a lot of the planning for you. It's a tough decision. A lot of people will also do a trash the dress photo shoot at more exotic locals getting some great shots there.

#9 Dmitri_Markine

• Vendor
                  • 2,782 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:47 AM

Welcome to the forum,enjoy and happy planning!!

#10 AnnaBanana

• 376 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:42 AM

Perhaps if staying at a resort is more convenient, going to an outside location with the photographer might be an option? As some of the girls said, a lot of the resorts have gazebo-type areas for the ceremony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users