Dress Drama-What to do?

Well..I previously posted that I ordered and cancelled a dress that I loved about three weeks ago after seeing myself in pictures of myself in the sample. I have since tried on some more dresses...some were okay...but none had the wow factor for me. My issue is that I am a plus-size so the samples are limited.

Also, no one has a sample of the dress that I love. I thought that it would be available this month but it seems that no one has ordered my dress as a sample for their store...at least none that I have been able to find and I can't contact the manufacturer...they only send back an e-mail with a FAQ's list. So...time is ticking...I want to order my dress this month and all I can think about is the dress that I have only seen in pictures. I have no idea what the fabric will be like. I have no idea how I would look..yet I think this might be the dress. Also...there is a cheap dress from one of the China sites that caught my eye from the start.

The only game plan I can think of is to take one last ditch effort and go back to the shop where I purchased my first dress/cancelled dress because they had a large selection. If I can't find anything, I can order the dress I love on-line from them or netbride. However, I will likely not get my dress until April at best and I will be in a BIND if I hate it. It's inexpensive enough that I can probably re-sell it. However I will have no dress. This is why I am thinking of ordering the dress from China just in case too...that is under $200 and I was going to use it for a TTD session in any case. If I hate both...I become a THREE dress bride!! URGH!! Not to mention the expense of it all.

What do you think? I can't believe that I am in this position...I never dreamed of ordering my dress sight unseen. Has anyone done this?

Lots of people suggest at least trying on similar styles to what you like, so you can at least have some idea of what your dream dress will look like.

I ordered my dress from China sight unseen, but I did try on as many dresses in similar styles to get some sense of what it would look like. However, I never tried on my exact dress until it arrived in the mail. And it turned out pretty good. There is a photo of me in it in the knockoff thread.

Good luck! Check out the knockoff dress thread - there is tons of info in there about which online places are good to order from.

Honestly, I'd be pretty nervous about ordering a dress if you haven't been able to try it first. Especially an expensive dress. It can be so hard to tell what it'll look like until you get it on-at least that's what I found when I was dress shopping. If you had more time I'd say maybe but if you don't like the dress then you'll really be SOL and rushing around in a panic looking for something off the rack. I'd keep shopping, I guess. Sorry if I sound like a downer. In the end though this is totally your call and good luck with whatever you do.

QueenDiva...yes I checked out David's Bridals...I did not find anything.

Beth...I have checked out that thread...this is why I'm even considering ordering a dress from China. My wedding dress however would not be ordered from China...but from an on-line site that is an authorized seller of the dress I like. I was thinking of ordering my TTD from China and if for some reason I hate the main dress...I could wear the China dress if I liked it.

Melidell...no...you don't sound like a downer...these are some of my very thoughts too...I'm just running out of options in terms of trying on dresses.

Good luck with finding the dress. I spent my whole summer looking for the right one and eventually found it on my third trip to David's Bridal. Don't worry, the right dress is out there, don't settle! Keep looking so that you can see what looks good on you and what you like.

I know you're in NYC, have you checked out Kleinfields? I've never been there but they're having a huge blowout sale on Monday 1/18. What other places have you been to?

Gosh D im so sorry your going through this! First thing is first, I do agree that maybe you can find a similar style of a dress that you can try on AKA cut and sleeve option(strapless, halter etc.) so that you know if that dress will favor you at all. Second of all, if you are going to do a TTD and have already decided not to use your original dress i would place the order for the China dress. I dont regret the decision of ordering my TTD from China at all it fit like a glove having it custom made which also gives you an option JIC. Also i dont remember if you posted this already( i think you may have) did you go to RK Bridal and Kleinfelds yet? TBH i would first concentrate on getting the best fitting cut on your body and then narrow down the choices to details etc. What are the dresses your leaning towards now? Have you tried the style/cut etc. of it yet?

Seaching through the web i found this article that I hope is of some use in finding accessible plus size samples :worried2.gif. Once the my wedding is over if you want next week i can call and pester the bridal shops i visited in NY to see about their plus size sample selections. They were small boutiques but i do think i noticed a couple of plus sized choices so ill definitely let you know.

Hugs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree10 View Post
Good luck with finding the dress. I spent my whole summer looking for the right one and eventually found it on my third trip to David's Bridal. Don't worry, the right dress is out there, don't settle! Keep looking so that you can see what looks good on you and what you like.

I know you're in NYC, have you checked out Kleinfields? I've never been there but they're having a huge blowout sale on Monday 1/18. What other places have you been to?
Well..I went to the Kleinfeld Blowout sale in December, Bridal Reflections, RKBridal (the best plus size selection), David's Bridals, Macy's Bridal Store and a local Brooklyn shop. I am having problems with shops that have plus-size samples in shapes other than A line...although...I have even started trying on A-lines as of late. If you have any other ideas...I am open to them!!

You mentioned most of the places I was going to recommend. There's nothing wrong with going back to one place more than once. I went to RK but was sooo overwhelmed. Since they have a wide selection of what you're looking for maybe you should give them another try. You may also have to widen your search to places like Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens, New Jersey, Westchester County. Don't worry you'll find something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuteliya View Post
Gosh D im so sorry your going through this! First thing is first, I do agree that maybe you can find a similar style of a dress that you can try on AKA cut and sleeve option(strapless, halter etc.) so that you know if that dress will favor you at all. Second of all, if you are going to do a TTD and have already decided not to use your original dress i would place the order for the China dress. I dont regret the decision of ordering my TTD from China at all it fit like a glove having it custom made which also gives you an option JIC. Also i dont remember if you posted this already( i think you may have) did you go to RK Bridal and Kleinfelds yet? TBH i would first concentrate on getting the best fitting cut on your body and then narrow down the choices to details etc. What are the dresses your leaning towards now? Have you tried the style/cut etc. of it yet?

Seaching through the web i found this article that I hope is of some use in finding accessible plus size samples :worried2.gif. Once the my wedding is over if you want next week i can call and pester the bridal shops i visited in NY to see about their plus size sample selections. They were small boutiques but i do think i noticed a couple of plus sized choices so ill definitely let you know.

Hugs!!
Awwww...thank you so much for finding this link and the offer!! So sweet. I think I may just have to pound the pavement and go to the smaller stores on Long Island and in the boroughs.

BTW...good luck on your upcoming wedding!! Your dress looked stunning on you!!

Sheree...I think I will go back to RKBridal and give it another shot.