Photo

Hurricane worries

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 chrissymt

chrissymt
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

I'm so excited because my wedding is officially booked for September 30th at he Riu MoBay, but some are questioning my choice of season. I always knew that it was in hurricane season, but never really thought too much about it. My question now is, what is the probability that a hurricane will hit during the wedding? Is there anyone out there that has this same concern? Is the storm that bad? Can you still be married during it, or does Jamaica ship everyone out of the country? I'm from northern Canada and don't have a clue about these things. Has anyone else dealt with all of this? Any information or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

#2 CHAKLIT

CHAKLIT
    • 260 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

That was part of the reason we stayed away from 10-10-10...I orginally wanted that date, but you can't mess with Mother Nature...just stay positive and you'll have a beautiful day!!
      I've booked Heather Parker for my photographer for my April 2, 2011 wedding in Ochi Rios, Jamaica. If anyone is getting married in Jamaica days before or after me and is interested sharing her travel expenses to save few wedding budget bucks, let me know. Take a look at her work for Moon Dance...

#3 MrsC-to-Be

MrsC-to-Be
      • 78 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

I too have considered that, I notice prices are MUCH nicer in the fall..does this also mean that there are fewer staff members?

#4 chrissymt

chrissymt
        • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

I never really thought about the staff issue. I just thought how nice it would be to have less people (guests) around. Apparently you also have a lot more options for the wedding because there is less demand by everyone else.

#5 Pandabride6

Pandabride6
          • 95 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

Yes, having a wedding during hurricane season is a gamble. Jamaica lies in the path where the storms are likely to hit. And yes, August and September can be pretty active months. Ask your resort what their contingency plan is for hurricanes. Chances are they would push events back without it costing you anything (since it's a natural occurance). I live in FL and I've been through a tropical storm... that was nothing to play with and it wasn't even a hurricane at the time.

But to be honest, I wouldn't necessarily worry. It's something to keep in mind and prepare for however.
            Can't wait to honor our family roots... and establish new ones... Montego Bay, Jamaica, June 5, 2010

The view overlooking Kingston... January 2009. One Love!!

#6 sweetluna

sweetluna
            • 183 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

Chrissymst, I can appreciate your concern regarding having a wedding during a stormy season and some of my guests questioned my judgment too. But then I got thinking, could it be any worse than winter weddings here in Canada? We know that winter is between Sept - March in some parts of Canada but the worst months are Jan/Feb. There are chances for pretty serious storms but yet people plan weddings for this time of year anyway and most have really beautiful weddings. There is a risk but I don't think it's any greater than having a wedding in Jan/Feb in Canada.

#7 chrissymt

chrissymt
              • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

Thank you for the reassurance. I really like the way you look at the situation. I can feel myself destressing already.

#8 kerrij

kerrij
                • 300 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

i know someone who got married in Nov in Jamaica and it rained everyday but 2.

#9 sweetluna

sweetluna
                  • 183 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by kerrij
                    i know someone who got married in Nov in Jamaica and it rained everyday but 2.
                    Yep, it's a risk. I've also been reading Tripadvisor and people who went in January had rain every day too. It's the weather and none of us have control over it. My thought is if a little "less than perfect" weather is going to ruin my day, then maybe I shouldn't have a wedding. ANYWHERE you go there is going to be a chance the weather isn't perfect. It could be perfect every day BUT my wedding day. I say, "Oh Well". I'm planning on just rolling with whatever the good Lord gives me that day because He has already given me such a great blessing in the man I'm going to marry. And that is good enough for me.

#10 AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana
                    • 376 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

I would keep it in mind, but I wouldn't stress over it. I mean, you can't control the weather, so there's no point in worrying yourself over it. However, I would speak to your WC to see if there is an alternate plan in case you need to move your ceremony/reception to another location. I'm sure they deal with these kinds of things all the time, so I would imagine they are pretty good about having back-up plans. :)

In the meantime, don't forget that rain can make for sexy photos if you're into TTD!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users