Photo

starting the name change process...........

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 24,768 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

When I got divorced, I didn't change my name for years. And I just changed it back to my maiden name right before Paul and I got engaged/married just because I had to in oder to go from Maiden Name to New Married Name ... otherwise I'd still probably be living under an "old" name!

#32 jajajaja

jajajaja
    • VIP Member
    • 9,794 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Steve's ex didn't change her name after the divorce and he was so pissed because he didn't want to share his name with her anymore (very bitter divorce.) Anyways, I never understood why she didn't want to change it. Now I can see why- it's a pain in the ass!
      Happily married since 2008

#33 A10CalGal

A10CalGal
      • VIP Member
      • 11,403 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
        Steve's ex didn't change her name after the divorce and he was so pissed because he didn't want to share his name with her anymore (very bitter divorce.) Anyways, I never understood why she didn't want to change it. Now I can see why- it's a pain in the ass!
        LOL Rachel! Actually, you just reminded me of another reason why I didn't jump on the name change bandwagon right away - Rafael's ex hasn't changed her name either "for the sake of the kids." Now I remember I told my hubby that there should only be 2 Mrs. C's - his mom and his wife.

#34 beachbride08

beachbride08
        • VIP Member
        • 2,372 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by AnnR
          don't forget - for those of you (ahem, us) that have been married for a while and haven't changed their name on their passport and want to ... be sure to do it within the year. it costs a lot more and is more painfil if you want over a year!
          I thought the year rule was only for new passports?
          Michelle

#35 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 24,768 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:32 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by beachbride08
            I thought the year rule was only for new passports?
            if it's a new passport, there's no name to change! this is for changing your name if you already have a passport.

#36 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 24,768 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by LC_Rachel
              actually, part of it was pure laziness - it is a PITA! but i actually didn't even know that i had changed my name w/the gov't legally already. since we did the divorce ourselves (by filling out a packet of paper, no lawyers) i had put in the packet that i would be changing my name. apparently that did it! so i didn't find out until years later when i refinanced on a house (that i had bought prior to the divorce being legal) that i had already changed my name, and i was living under a "old" name. oops!

#37 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
              • 26,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Christa I'll keep you posted. If I can find a ss office that doesn't have half of L.A. county in line I'll get it done sooner than later!

#38 jajajaja

jajajaja
                • VIP Member
                • 9,794 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Jamie- it's very entertaining to go to the SS office. Bring a back of popcorn and enjoy the show.

#39 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 24,768 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

Update: there's no fee if you change your name on your passport within 1 year (unless you expedite) ...

Correcting or Changing Information in Your Passport

#40 jajajaja

jajajaja
                    • VIP Member
                    • 9,794 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

Oh sweet! I thought it was $75. That's a wonderful update. Thanks Ann!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users