How did you choose the resort?

We chose ROR for a couple of reasons...it came highly recommended. Also it is family friendly without being a resort that is all about kids (breezes). I had a couple of people that wanted to bring their kids, and I was happy to accomodate that, but I didnt want my resort to be all about the kids.

We had thought about Sandals, but no kids allowed.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We chose our resort because of the ease of planning and the location. My fiance and I LOVE Negril and would have loved to have gotten married there - but we chose Montego Bay because it's so close to the airport and will be easier for our guests. When they arrive, they can go to the hotel lounge in the airport, check in and go straight to the hotel. Our hotel is also smaller than some of the others that we considered - so we'll be able to hang out with everyone at the pool during the day. The rooms are also a bit cheaper than some others we considered and more reasonable for our guests.

After the wedding, the two of us will head down to Negril for a mini-moon for a few days.

We chose because of the resort allowing kids, the location of the wedding site/gazebo, the wedding packages, referrals, and price. it's in Runaway Bay.

our 2nd week for our honeymoon we choose because it was adults only designed for couples, had beachfront suites, location on the 7 mile beach, and cost.

I made a list of stuff i was looking for and compared the resorts. I picked ROR due to the fact they had a free wedding package, the wedding co-ordinator was highly recommended on this site, the resort was large so everyone didn't always have to be together, pricing, had several golfers in the group and there was golf close by.

I wasn't disappointed with my choice either, the resort was absolutely beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also having a small number of guests, 8 and us. We chose Sandals Negril because of the close proximity of Beaches. We will have one child at the wedding. Also we liked the beach and the couples only for where we are staying.

We were originally looking at the Sandals in the Bahamas. Sandals is more expensive than some but this is only happening once, the wedding, and it does include a lot.

I stayed at Couples Swept Away in November with my FI (it is actually where we got engaged. LOVVVVVVVVVVVVED IT! This resort is just down the beach from the resort you are talking about! (Unless you ARE talking about CSA) I have heard some people call it both.. but either way. Coup

les is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! LOVED THE FOOD, LOVED the service, LOOOOOVED LOVED LOOOOOVED the beach! Seven Mile Beach is SO worth it!!!!!

Here are some pics from our stay.

Let me know if you want any info about our trip

Click the image to open in full size.

PS! Ricks Cafe is a MUST

We started out looking specifically in Negril, which we love because of the nice beach, but when I started researching I ran into issues such as no kids policies, expensive resort prices, and reception venues that wouldn't work well with a large group (we are expecting around 100). So then I started researching every resort in JA and wound up with a huge spreadsheet with all the resorts costs, capacity, food offered, etc.

Then we narrowed it down to about 7 places to check out - if you can call that 'narrow' lol - and we visited all of them when we went down for another wedding at ROR (which was also at the top of the list). The last stop was at Grand Palladium where we stayed the night, and my FI and I individually ranked each resort on about 10 different categories. (I know this makes us sound crazy but I should mention we are both kinda anal and love making lists :) ) When we compared notes our top two choices were the same, and when my cousin planned his wedding at one of them (ROR) that tipped the scale to Iberostar Rose Hall. We haven't looked back since :)

Couples Negril is a great choice - you will love the beach there!

I chose Iberostar RH Suites based on reviews (here and trip advisor), I would have booked the Grand but I will have at least one child (my niece and mini-me) who would have been extremely mad at me had I excluded her from the wedding and trip. We considered Rose Hall-Hilton, we were there last summer and had a great time but the beach is sort of rocky which was a deterrent for my FH. We took forever and I've read about everything I can find online but I am looking forward to the wedding and the trip.

I had a friend marry at Couples Swept Away last year and she loved it.

Good luck choosing, its been the hardest part so far!!!

We were also torn between ROR and The Grand Palladuim. We decided to go with GP as we thought it would be a different atmosphere for people who have gone away before.

Also at the time, the price for ROR was Higher than the price of GP and we thought that GP had more value for the money.

I am glad we made the decision we did :)

• 2 months later...

We started by choosing a country, Jamaica. This was based on it being relatively cheaper than some of the other islands. It is also much cheaper to fly to than places like St. Lucia and the Virgin Islands. Then we decided on Resort company. We ended up choosing Sandals. We wanted an adult only resort. Although they do advertise as a couples only resort, they do allow singles. they can either bunk together in the same room or pay the entire room price and sleep seperate. We do have guests doing this. Then we had to decide on the spot. We chose Sandals Grande Ocho Rios for several reasons. It was cheaper to get a butler here than in Montego Bay and Negril and we definitely wanted that. Also, the wedding locations are incredible! It is also a very large resort so all our guests can stay there and we don't have to worry about running into them a lot during our honeymoon. Montego Bay is also right next to the airport. We did not want to listen to the sounds of planes all day during our trip. Although Negril is known for their gorgeous beaches, the resort is much smaller and quite expensive. A lot of the site-seeing areas are also in Ocho Rios so they won't eat up an entire day like if we were in Mo Bay or Negril.

I have been very happy with Sandals as of so far. They have made this such a stress free event.