47 replies to this topic

#1 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

I was just curious what everyone chose to do and why.

I chose a symbolic ceremony for the following reasons:

1. steve doesn't do needles...he will literally pass out.
2. i can get my blood taken without passing out BUT because my veins are so small i bruise really badly.
3. steve has really great health insurance w/dental as well and he really wanted me on his plan so i didn't have to pay anymore out of pocket so we actually did the legal stuff 2 months before the real wedding...but we didnt feel married at that time.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#2 Jackie

Jackie
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

I'm really not sure why, it just seems easier to get the legal aspect done here in the States.
    My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
    http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

#3 BURROWM

BURROWM
    • 20 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

There isn't a both option. We did our own ceremony, with a friend playing the minister's role and then afterwards stepped to the side to sign the paperwork. The judge didn't say anything to us, but sign here and put your thumb print here. Best of both worlds! And the needle wasn't so bad. The guy came to the Baja weddings office and it was over in 5 minutes.
      Megan and Brad
      Los Cabos, October 7, 2006
      Dreams Resort

#4 Janet

Janet
      • VIP Member
      • 7,459 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

To us, the thing that matters most is what is in your hearts and in your intentions. Standing up in front of family and friends and saying our vows is when we will "become married" no matter when we sign the papers.

Not to get too political on this board, but if we only cared about couples who could legally marry in this country, we would be leaving out a lot of loving, committed couples who, because they are gay, are not allowed to get married under the law.

And that is the end of my political talk. Just having one of those days, I guess :)

#5 TammyB

TammyB
        • 10,630 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

Were having a legal wedding in Cabo, since our wedding is so small we wanted it to be the actual thing.

#6 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
          • 11,659 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by BURROWM
          There isn't a both option. We did our own ceremony, with a friend playing the minister's role and then afterwards stepped to the side to sign the paperwork. The judge didn't say anything to us, but sign here and put your thumb print here. Best of both worlds! And the needle wasn't so bad. The guy came to the Baja weddings office and it was over in 5 minutes.
          well that would be considreed a legal ceremony...because you got married in mexico...i meant those that got legally married at the DW or those that had a symbolic ceremony but took care of legal stuff in the states.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
          Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
          Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
          Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
          sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
          Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#7 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 6,996 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

We are undecided at this point. We really wanted to have the Cabo ceremony be the "real" thing, but like Tammy, I have really good insurance and Jeff is going to be having surgery early next year and we've thought about making it legal earlier so he can be on mine. Not sure yet, like Janet said, it's what's in our hearts that really counts to us- we already feel "married" and committed to eachother.

#8 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
            • 11,659 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by AQHARIDER
            We are undecided at this point. We really wanted to have the Cabo ceremony be the "real" thing, but like Tammy, I have really good insurance and Jeff is going to be having surgery early next year and we've thought about making it legal earlier so he can be on mine. Not sure yet, like Janet said, it's what's in our hearts that really counts to us- we already feel "married" and committed to eachother.
            sarah, i did not feel married after the legal event and it was pretty non-sentimental. the ceremony in front of our families was the real deal for us. i don't even remember the day we had our legal ceremony.

Awards and recognition: 

#9 KARLA

KARLA
            • 373 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:20 PM

We did the U.S. marriage in the courthouse last week, and I'll be honest with you, BEFORE we did that, I was a bit bummed. I wanted Cabo to be the "real thing" and I thought it would take away from my Cabo experience. I was worried for nothing!! Once in a while, Tim and I will look at each other and go... wow, legally we're married! BUT... we know that until we are up infront of our family and close friends and say the vows to each other, it won't be a done deal in our minds. I can't stress enough how much the symbolism of saying those vows infront of the people you love carry SO MUCH MORE weight than signing papers. I don't know why I was bummed or worried... it is so clear now!

#10 KARLA

KARLA
              • 373 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:22 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by host
                sarah, i did not feel married after the legal event and it was pretty non-sentimental. the ceremony in front of our families was the real deal for us. i don't even remember the day we had our legal ceremony.
                EXACTLY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users