Sign in to follow this  
QueenDiva

Tensing Pen IS MAKING ME NERVOUS!

Tensing Pen is stressing me out! I've read some complaints about communication issues, but luckily have not had an issue with that at all. We were told how much we have to pay to reserve our date and when to pay it, and are ready to send in the money at the end of the month. But now, I'm really reconsidering. I have a vision for my wedding, and don't want it to be different just because it's a destination wedding. Because some brides have said that their items were not set up in the manner that they wanted them to be, I wanted to have a local wedding planner for the day of. However, the planner emailed me back and said she is no longer allowed there (or any other planners, for that matter). I asked for a vendor list, and was told that they don't have a vendor list; they source stuff out according to what I need... WTF?? How will I know if I like the vendor if I don't know who they are, or seen they're work?? Just alot of issues, and now I don't know...

How about if you find the vendors you want, talk with them directly, see if they've ever worked at TP, and then tell Tensing Pen who you want to use? Hopefully some of the other TP brides on here who have already had their weddings will reply to your posting and tell you how the process worked for them. I do think you need to realize that for a destination wedding you won't be able to have as much control over every detail as you would with a wedding at home. But every wedding slideshow I have seen at TP has been beautiful, so I'm sure yours will be too!

Hi, I'm getting married at Tensing Pen in December. I guess I've been lucky as I have not had any issues. I did start with one coordinator, but she is no longer there. The person I have now has been great. She calls me every time I email her. I'm also a pretty laid back bride I guess. :-) I know it's destination, so most things are out of my control. But so far, everything I've asked for has been granted. I wouldn't worry about the vendor lists...you will find the quality of the vendors quite good! Remember too, it's Jamaica. Everything is a bit slower, a bit calmer. Best wishes!

Hi Tathum, We are also getting married at Tensing in Nov. I haven't had any issues with them either but I'm also a pretty laid back bride. I also saw on their blog that they are closing for 2 weeks in Sept for refurbishing so everything should be looking great in time for your wedding!

The thing you have to realize is that most of the Jamaican resorts and their staff run on island time. When in the middle of planning sometimes you just have to take a deep breath. Moon Dance Cliffs an Moon Dance Villas are run by a US company so they are a bit more in tune with what Americans and Canadians want in terms of expectations. The same is true for Rock House. I am not sure about Tensing Pen.

That is very true. I don't have a problem with "island time" so much (when I'm in Jamaica, I tend to be on "island time" myself, lol)- just read some troubling reviews is all- things not set up according to requests, lots of missing items that brides brought down, etc. I just decided to skip it all to calm my nerves. But I'm sure in the end everyone will have a wonderful wedding experience no matter where they decide to host it wink.gif

no need to worry - i was in the same boat but took a trip down there in may to meet the wedding coordinator and lay out the plan for the wedding. the new wedding coordinator, Shanique, is great. Everything is "no worries" and "whatever you want - it's your wedding!" - she's very good and I'm sure you'll end up with the wedding you want as long as you communicate what that is!

my fiance REALLY wants a chocolate rum cake for the wedding cake, and i had been worried because i just saw the standard package info online and that wasn't an option. when i asked if we could do that Shanique said "of course!"

You also don't need an outside wedding coordinator - that's what Shanique is for. She even came to a meeting with a photographer with me and asked questions for me since I had no idea what to ask!

You are so rigtht TanyonL! I just went with my gut, and I'm a lot more happy now :) FI and I stayed at Rockhouse last September then took an extended tour of Tensing after eating at Alice's across the street. I have wanted to get married at Rockhouse from day 1, but FI thought that Tensing would be better because of the bigger residences (such as Long House). In the end, we both knew that Rockhouse was a better choice for us as we had met the WC and the general manager, Charlotte, and they are the most genuine, helpful people ever! I don't regret a thing!