Photo

Any Brides with Celiac Disease??

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 staceychris17

staceychris17
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

I have Celiac Disease and I am a bit nervous about my wedding cake? I have emailed my WC what ingredients I cannot have, but I am thinking I may not be able to eat my wedding cake. Is there anyone else who has Celiac and has a solution to this issue? Maybe a wedding cake recipe in Spanish that they know is safe to eat??
    ~Stacey
    ~Stacey

#2 ButterflyR12

ButterflyR12
    • 16 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hi Stacey,
      I'm also going to be interested in this as my fiance has Celiac disease. I was thinking about asking the wc at the resort if this was a possibility...I know that he would really love to have a GF cake...
      Please let me know if you're able to come up with something...I will let you know if I find anything out.
      Otherwise I could have my mom translate a recipe into Spanish...
      Rebecca

#3 buleczka26

buleczka26
      • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

I have celiac and was having a hard time with finding a cake solution. I eventually decided that I wouldn't feel confident in a gluten free cake. I found this cake through our hotel and decided that while my guests enjoy the cake, I will just have the chocolate covered strawberries that are on the side and not touching. Not that my celiac is a secret, but I thought this would be a nice way to compromise not eating cake without it being overly obvious.

Wedding Cake, Wedding Cakes, Wedding Toppers, Cakes for Wedding|Real Resorts|Cancun|Riviera Maya

My cake is the very last picture =)

Hope this helps! Now all I have to do is make sure my meals are gf while I'm there!

#4 staceychris17

staceychris17
        • 196 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hello Rebecca and Buleczka26!!

Thanks for responding!! Wow I am not the only one out there:)

Buleczka26 you are very nice to have chocolate covered strawberries and not have the cake to make things complicated. However, I totally want to have my wedding cake. It is important and I feel that I have given up so many opportunities in life to enjoy fun things..and I really want my may cake...hahaha.

Rebecca we may have to have your mom translate....I have found two recipes that look
          pretty good.

On a side note....have either one of you tried Betty Crocker's new Gluten Free bake goods?? They are super good!!! My FI hates Gluten Free food and he actually likes the chocolate cake better then regular cake.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything...if not, Rebecca I am sending you the recipes..we will have to get your mom a gift for the translations:)
          ~Stacey

#5 buleczka26

buleczka26
          • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

Well, I do have a confession - I have never really been that fond of cake before or after finding out about having celiac so I guess that is why I am so understanding! haha

I LOVE the gf betty crocker brownies! SO good! It's funny all the new things that are starting to come out on the market.

#6 echo2_62

echo2_62
            • 1,049 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

I haven't looked into this too much but my mom is celiac so I am hoping to come up with some ideas for treats that she'll be able to enjoy as well. Have you thought about getting a cake from outside the resort from another bakery? You might be able to find a place that is able to do something as a special order but I really don't know. I guess that's something to add to my list!

#7 staceychris17

staceychris17
              • 196 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

LOL...oh my god I am so sorry to add one more thing to your list!! SORRY!!
                I think I might stick to the resort...hey if I get sick maybe they will comp us a week
                I haven't looked into this too much but my mom is celiac so I am hoping to come up with some ideas for treats that she'll be able to enjoy as well. Have you thought about getting a cake from outside the resort from another bakery? You might be able to find a place that is able to do something as a special order but I really don't know. I guess that's something to add to my list!

~Stacey

#8 **~Linda~**

**~Linda~**
                • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hi Stacey

If you need translations in a hurry send them my way as well kuteliya@gmail.com Id be happy to help you if you find one you like. I did search the net for you and found this recipe and also chocolate cake hope this helps some. The second one looks yummy :)

#9 ButterflyR12

ButterflyR12
                  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by staceychris17
                    Hello Rebecca and Buleczka26!!

Thanks for responding!! Wow I am not the only one out there:)

Buleczka26 you are very nice to have chocolate covered strawberries and not have the cake to make things complicated. However, I totally want to have my wedding cake. It is important and I feel that I have given up so many opportunities in life to enjoy fun things..and I really want my may cake...hahaha.

Rebecca we may have to have your mom translate....I have found two recipes that look
                    pretty good.

On a side note....have either one of you tried Betty Crocker's new Gluten Free bake goods?? They are super good!!! My FI hates Gluten Free food and he actually likes the chocolate cake better then regular cake.

I will keep you posted if I hear anything...if not, Rebecca I am sending you the recipes..we will have to get your mom a gift for the translations:)
                    Any update on these recipes, or if the resort is willing to make a gf cake for you? My FI really wants a GF cake...I'm trying to think of a way to get at least a little one for him...

I absolutely love the Betty Crocker gf baked goods...cookies and brownies!!

Rebecca

#10 ChristinaP

ChristinaP
                    • 365 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

I'm Celiac too, and I was just going to ask for chocolate covered strawberries instead. Wouldn't want to mess up a perfectly good cake!
                      If anyone wants, the last time I went to Mexico I got a "card" sent to me from the Canadian Celiac Association in my city in Spanish about what the disease is. Last time FI and I went to Mexico, I took it everywhere with me (even to the buffets) and the manager took me around to show me what I could and couldn't eat. I had no problems the whole time. PM me if you want a copy, and I will get one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users