Photo

DIY Boarding pass ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 westxgrly

westxgrly
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

Well I spent most of my Sat. looking for paper and card stock and well didnt find any... I went to a few places that actually make the invites... so i didnt have much luck. Tomorrow Sunday, I will go see what the regular places like Office Depo and Office Max might have to offer. The one place I went to was selling card stock at .25-.50 cents a sheet. Is that the norm? and the envelopes about .50 is that seem about right?
    Im wondering if I should look online for this?

#12 becks1581

becks1581
    • 477 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

I actually ended up finding a pack of 60 sheets of heavy-weight cardstock at AC Moore (a craft store). The pack was normally $17 but I had a 50% off coupon so it ended up being a really good deal.

I bought red cardstock for the ticket jackets which I had to purchase individually at Michaels. I think we'll buy the actual envelopes online b/c I haven't been able to find them in craft stores. It def takes a lot of shopping around to find what you need and still save money by going DIY.

Let us know what you find!

#13 mlabbe

mlabbe
      • 784 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:58 AM

I bought a pack of 50 pages of cardstock at Michael's for about $6, but then the printer refused to use it! I'm keeping them for a future project.

#14 westxgrly

westxgrly
        • 98 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

Well I ended up going to Sams and finding the card stock there for about $6.00, I dont remember how many sheets it came with. I was looking for blue paper for the ticket jacket, but have not yet found it. I did see a link to a site online for paper, but I am worried that it will not work with my printer since it's metallic. I wanted a Tiffany blue, but I might have to go with a Turquoise. I also spent more than I should have, trying to convert a Word doc template of the tickets into a vector image so that my Cricut can do all the cutting. I will try that again when I get home from work. Keep you all posted.

#15 westxgrly

westxgrly
          • 98 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

Okay so i got my perforator at Hobby Lobby for $2.99
            Now I need to figure out the right paper for the ticket jacket.....I can't decide what to do for that and then also the envelopes.

#16 mlabbe

mlabbe
            • 784 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:30 AM

For the jacket I used high quality laser paper, it's just a tad thicker than regular paper. It worked out fine. It saved us $$ and was less bulky.

Hang in there!

#17 westxgrly

westxgrly
              • 98 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

Well I have all the stuff I need. I did get a corner punch, but I think this is not the right size, seems a tad big. I ended up getting my envelopes online at Paper Presentation. Got a good deal. Also got some card stock, in a brown color, for my ticket jackets. I am still having a tough time getting the right images for the boarding pass, starfish, hibiscus any of those would be okay... I also dished out about 100.00 on stamps: 60 stamps - of 61 cents and another 60 stamps of 44 cents. Turns out that your 44 cents stamps only allows for 1 oz of weight, I had 1.30 oz.
                I also wanted to get a monogram desgined.....so many things to do and not enough time.... Well I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for all your help and ideas.

#18 Kimmysals

Kimmysals
                • 240 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

Can anyone shed light on whether or not it's worth doing your own boarding pass invitations? I have ordered several samples and am not 100% pleased with the quality. I feel like I could do a better job if I had the computer skills and am less concerned with actually cutting them out and assembling them. I also find it hard to find a really pretty and possibly metalic card stock for the jacket that I would like to use.

Please share your thoughts. Is it worth all the effort? I have some crafting skills but not the computer skills. The DIY boarding passes I've seen on this forum look amazing!

#19 Roxyjude

Roxyjude
                  • 219 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

I am getting my paper from Stamin Up.

#20 wendyjd

wendyjd
                    • 968 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

For my boarding passes, I had a photo background of a beach (thanks to one of the members here) so I used matte photopaper which turned out pretty good. For the jackets I used heavy duty cardstock (from office depot or max).

I used a corner punch for the corners and a teardrop hole punch for the "inside" corners (between where you would staple and the bulk of the pass) and a paper cutter (big blade on a base) for the straight lines between the parts.

I only had to to about 25 and was able to cut/assemble all of them in a few hours with the help of my mom and my brother's fiance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users