Leslie's Planning Thread 12-4-09!! *LONG & PIC HEAVY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze616 View Post
Yay Leslie!! I'm so happy to hear everything went great at the Grand!
Are you doing a review? I will definetly be saving this thread!

You said you got a lighted dance floor? Where? How much?

How was the weather this time of year?

Was 'flower studio' cheaper than the resort florist? Were they good?

Your planning thread is incredible and it looks like you all had a great time!! So happy for you!!
I will be doing a review, but I feel kinda werid doing one since EVERYTHING was A++++++++ for everything and everyone, besides my travel agent, who was a D-, but that has nothing to do wih the resort! The weather in DEC is perfect, high of 85 low of 75 and it was all sunshine and blue skies. We had one rain shower at 8pm at night (during or romantic dinner on the beach, but they brought out an umbrella so everything was fine!) and then one on the day we left for about an hour at 2pm.

Flower Studio is more expensive, and it is the resort florist for the Grand but they do a better job and are more reliable than Tai Floral (hence why the Grand dropped them...they said sometimes the flowers have not arrived in time for weddings with Tai and that sometimes they are not at all what the bride asked for).

I did not get a lighted dance floor. I had parasols around the dance floor, and this looked great. I am sure they could find a vendor for you if you wanted one.

It was the time of my life and having my wedding at the Grand was the best decision of my life!!!!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so happy to hear the December weather was perfect! I'm so excited! Please do a review - I have a ton of other questions which I bet would be answered in your review. But if you don't wanna do one, I can just keep bugging you here wink.gif

I bet the whole Iberostar resort changed to Flower studio then. Hopefully they will be more flexible. I noticed Tai Flora was not the greatest. The cost is not an issue for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles8300 View Post
We had dinner at the Japanese restaurant (SO GOOD) and then a bonfire and reggae band—Positive Vibrations, I HIGHLY recommend them, with a private bar on the beach. The WCs went over and above to make this very special. They had cocktail tables and chairs in a lit up dance floor with a stage for the band. It was everything I thought it would be and more…to the point where I wondered if the wedding would top it (which it did!).

My best friends at the Japanese Rehearsal Dinner and bonfire…they gave us the whole restaurant to ourselves (55 people) from 6pm-8:30pm! We had chicken, lobster, and steak!!

The above quote was what I meant by the dancefloor - did the WC's coordinate all the tables/chairs/dancefloor stuff for your bonfire/private bar on the beach? or did you use an outside supplier?

I was curious about the lighting at the beach party too. I will probably use the beach in front of Aunt Ruby's as the dance floor at the reception and I've been trying to figure out what to do for lighting. The light that you had that was covered in a sheet looks like it would be perfect! Did the hotel set that up for you? Also in the same picture it looks like there is a string of lights on the ground marking off your area, but it's sort of dark so I can't tell for sure. That would be great if they could do that too.

I was planning to use paper lanterns from paperlantnernstore.com too (in purple) but I haven't been able to figure out which type would work out best. Did you use battery powered ones, and if so did you use the ones with LED battery in it, or did you get lantern and a separate light kit?

Thanks so much!

Lisa

The steel drum band played Christmas music while everyone waited. I was 45mins late (hair issues) but the band kept the guests entertained!!! They also played Here Comes the Bride and were awesome and played extra long for free since I was so late and the ceremony ran long! I will get their info if anyone is interested.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm interested! We are paying $400 for a one man band and i think it might be priced high since it's through the resort and for one guy. But i could be wrong! but would love their info anyway please :)

your wedding was beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze616 View Post
I'm so happy to hear the December weather was perfect! I'm so excited! Please do a review - I have a ton of other questions which I bet would be answered in your review. But if you don't wanna do one, I can just keep bugging you here wink.gif

I bet the whole Iberostar resort changed to Flower studio then. Hopefully they will be more flexible. I noticed Tai Flora was not the greatest. The cost is not an issue for me...

The above quote was what I meant by the dancefloor - did the WC's coordinate all the tables/chairs/dancefloor stuff for your bonfire/private bar on the beach? or did you use an outside supplier?
OHH, sorry about that! They did all of that lighting etc.. without me even asking for it! I was just expecting a band in the sand with a bonfire and small bar. Yes, they did rope off the whole area with the lights all around the sand to create a dance floor area and they set up colored light posts wrapped in white fabric that looked BEAUTIFUL..it really did not turn out in the pics, but it looked amazing. The WC coordinated all of that and it was included in the price of the band/bonfire (band was $563 for 1.5hrs and bonfire was $504 for 1.5hr the bar was $15pp for 1.5hrs) They took it on themselves to set up all of the extras---stage, lights, disco ball, cocktail tables, chairs,etc.. I think they did all of this for me b/c I was very nice to them and really communicated to them and was organized, which made their job easier. The more you have planned out, the better your wedding will be, becasue then they have the time to work out the extras!!

Some of the brides that got married during my stay, did not have a wedding that went nearly as smoothly, because they did not have the detailed planning etc.. that us girls from this forum have. We saw two really bad weddings one at the Suites and one at the Grand, but my WC said those girls did not have anything planned and had not communicated with them at all before their arrivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegrilLB View Post
I was curious about the lighting at the beach party too. I will probably use the beach in front of Aunt Ruby's as the dance floor at the reception and I've been trying to figure out what to do for lighting. The light that you had that was covered in a sheet looks like it would be perfect! Did the hotel set that up for you? Also in the same picture it looks like there is a string of lights on the ground marking off your area, but it's sort of dark so I can't tell for sure. That would be great if they could do that too.

I was planning to use paper lanterns from paperlantnernstore.com too (in purple) but I haven't been able to figure out which type would work out best. Did you use battery powered ones, and if so did you use the ones with LED battery in it, or did you get lantern and a separate light kit?

Thanks so much!
Lisa
Lisa,

Yes, the WCs set that up for me. They had 4 of the tall lights coverd in sheets in different colors. Then they roped off a huge dance floor area with rope lights. It look amazing but you can't really see how great it looked in the pics.

As for the paper lanterns, I did not put any lights in them, we had the lights dimmed in the restaurant and christmas lights on the pillars behind us, along with tea lights all over, so we did not need any more light. I just wanted them for the pop of color and it worked out great! I think it would be wasted effort to try and get them to light up if you are indoors!