Moon Palace On-Site Photographer

Hi everyone!

So I spent hours and hours reading over the Moon Palace 2010 thread and got all sorts of amazing information, but one thing I couldn't get an idea about is if any of you brides have heard about the quality of the on-site photographer?

I had read from a reviewer on Trip Advisor (a long time before finding the gold mine that is Best Destination Wedding) that the photog provided was quite good, but after reading on here and seeing how a lot of you have or are bringing your own, I'm a little worried!!

Advice would be awesome at this point,

Thanks cheesy.gif

I do not have hands on experience...however our closest friends got married at Moon Palace 2 years ago and they used the on site photographer and videographer. Their pictures are pretty, but very posed and cookie cutter. Nothing spectacular to be honest. They wished they would have paid for another photographer to come in for the day. The video is ok, a little short, but includes key moments. (reading of a poem, brides entrance, groom before bride arrived, vows, kiss, after wedding cocktail, cake cutting, on the beach playing...that's it). It has a song or two dubbed over it.

Knowing what we know, we are opting to bring our own photographer (who happens to be my soon to be brother in law). We are considering having MP video the wedding just for posterity sake....but we ar enot opting for their photography package.

I have heard some good reviews about one specific photographer in their bunch....but I can't think of his name off the top of my head and you have to request and confirm that you will get him if you want him!

Good luck and remember my experience is only what I have seen...not dealt with. Take care!

Check out the Aventura Spa Palace thread. I know some brides who used the onsite photographer posted to there and I BELIEVE (don't quote me on this!) that all the palace resorts in the area use the same photogs. That might help give you an idea if you like the style or not!! Also, I believe the palace resorts website has some samples.

We hired an outside photographer so sorry for not being able to provide better info but I hope it's a step in the right direction!

i am on a tight budget so wasn't going to have a photographer at all, but i've just realised thier package a is only $295 so i might do that. it's very cheap and as long as we get a few photos i'll be happy!

does anyone know what photo package a (excluding prints and album) includes? i mean time wise?! is it just the ceremony or does it include shots after as bride and groom and with family etc?

What a great thread! I'm also a MP Bride to be and FI and I haven't discussed photography much yet but I have been curious about the quality. We have been spoiled with that one of my closest friends and her husband are wedding photographers and I am always comparing to their work. I would hire them but I want them to be a part of the wedding and enjoy their time and not have to work.

Adriana

I have heard that most of the Moon Palace photogs are not very talented. I have also heard that David Pena is the best one and can be requested if he is available. I think I have a link to his work. If I find it I will add it to this post.

My wedding photos are very important to me so in the end I hired a local photog that I will be traveling to Cancun for our wedding.

At first the photography didn't mean as much to me as making sure my family would be there to support me on my big day, but now that I've spent so much time browsing this site and all the gorgeous brides with their amazing photos, I've realized that I really want to capture my day with someone of a higher quality.

I have a girlfriend who's a great photog that lives here in Vancouver, and she'd do the pics for free, I'd just have to pay for her stay etc.

If you find the link to his pics I'd be very grateful!

Thanks cheesy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsylou View Post
i am on a tight budget so wasn't going to have a photographer at all, but i've just realised thier package a is only $295 so i might do that. it's very cheap and as long as we get a few photos i'll be happy!

does anyone know what photo package a (excluding prints and album) includes? i mean time wise?! is it just the ceremony or does it include shots after as bride and groom and with family etc?
So I'm biased b/c I did use the on-site photog and I love my pics. The one photog that many people referenced was David Pena, but I didn't have him for mine (I think I have our photogs name in my wedding review linked below but I can't remember it right now). Our video turned out really well too.
We only had the photogs for right before the ceremony (from me getting in the carriage) until the group pics afterwards. We opted not to spend the money for more time (which I actually kind of regret now b/c we don't have a ton of good reception pics). I don't know what the current price for pics is there but I do recommend getting the CD of pics, it was $150 when we got ours in May. DEFINITELY worth it. My link below my siggy pic (from an onsite photog) has my wedding pics if you want to check them out.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tracy, your pics are great! I like that style, but I also LOVE the photojournalism style also. I guess it all boils down to budget. I know I'll be happy either way. It's just relieving to see some actual pictures!

As for this David Pena guy, I can't find anything online about him. Does anyone know if he has any pics online? Maybe his style is more geared towards the latter of my likes!