Gran Caribe Real CHAPEL - Site visit...so upset

I have to vent because I'm on the verge of tears! I just came back from a weekend trip to Cancun. I'm getting married in the catholic chapel inside the Gran Caribe Real and I really wish I had done this site visit before I put the deposits and confirmed everything. The chapel is beautiful just as pictured in the photos. However the entrance to the chapel is not what I expected... you have to go through a really loud and super busy lobby just to get to the chapel. The path from the lobby to the chapel is very long with a lot of turns so it's easy for guests to get lost. When I asked the coordinator if there would be signs or a staff member guiding guests, she said no.

Then they told me that I only have 30 minutes after the ceremony to take photos. We have to leave after 30 minutes because they have another wedding after mine. When I asked if there was another place to take pictures she said no.

The day of my wedding, I have to enter the chapel through stairs that are to the immediate right of the chapel entrance so the walk down the aisle is VERY short. I can't even imagine how I'll get good pictures walking down the aisle because you literally come down the stairs and you are right inside the chapel.

The coordinator showed me another way to get in the chapel where the walk would be a little longer. That entrance requires that I go through a kids club where there is a pool with games splashing water. Going through that entrance would mean running a risk of getting wet before arriving in the chapel. I asked if they could stop the water games from splashing out water for just 2 or 3 minutes while I walked through there and they said no.

I asked if I could just wait in a kids club room where they have tables and chairs for kids to watch tv and read. I figured I could just hide in there until the guests arrive so that I could have my walk down the long aisle. You guessed it, the answer was no.

I'm also having my rehearsal dinner at the Gran Caribe and I asked the coordinator MONTHS ago if I could have it on the beach. She confirmed in writing but during the site visit she couldn't remember confirming the beach so she insisted that the rehearsal dinner was in another location.

I had to correct her about my ceremony time FOUR times in a matter of 10 minutes. She kep saying the wedding was at 2pm or 4pm even though we have confirmed that it will be a 3pm. I corrected her and literally 5 minutes later she said the wrong time again.

I'm really at my wits end. The most frustrating part is that they are not accomodating or flexible at all. She pushes back on everything I ask for and never provides solutions or alternatives. I've had problems with this resort from the beginning and I just wish I went with my instincts from the beginning.

I'm so stressed out because I have no confidence that these people will do a good job on my wedding day. They are not organized at all, the communication has bee horrible and they are making no effort to accomodate me with anything. I spoke to her manager and she's probably worse than the coordinator - a very arrrogant and unpleasant lady.

My advice to anyone planning a wedding there is to do a site visit before confirming and get everything in writing. I'm really dissapointed and upset. I had such a pleasant experience with everyone else I'm dealing with in Cancun. I'm having my reception at Le Meridien and I thank God for that decision. The Wedding Planner at Le Meridien is the complete opposite of the one at Gran Caribe. She has been a dream to work with - very professional, organized and pleasant. She is making every effort to ensure I have the wedding of my dreams. The reception place is gorgeous and everything exceeded my expectations in every way.

I'm going to try to find a new place for a rehearsal dinner because the fewer events at Gran Caribe the better.

Sorry for the rant but I'm on the verge of tears right now.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee1811 View Post
I am so sorry to hear that you are frustrated with your site. My fingers are crossed it all works for the better--maybe she was having an off day?!

Thank you so much for the well wishes - I'm going to need them:)

Unfortunately, I don't think she wasn't having an off day...she's been a flake from the beginning. When I first started planning, it was like pulling teeth to get a response out of her. Then she got a little better but even then she wasn't the most responsive or flexible person in the world.

I'm just going to pray that all goes well the day of.

I was there over Thanksgiving week looking at wedding sites. The Chapel is beautiful and it was what made the decision not to have my wedding there difficult. However, we found the place difficult to deal with as well in regards to even getting an appointment with the wedding coordinator (who ended up sending others to meet with us, so I never met with her). I will say that we did get to see a couple of weddings during our time there and they all looked amazing and everyone looked happy. They seemed to be running very smoothly. So I think everything will work out for the wedding ceremony and you cannot beat the Chapel there - it is gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldyrck16 View Post
I was there over Thanksgiving week looking at wedding sites. The Chapel is beautiful and it was what made the decision not to have my wedding there difficult. However, we found the place difficult to deal with as well in regards to even getting an appointment with the wedding coordinator (who ended up sending others to meet with us, so I never met with her). I will say that we did get to see a couple of weddings during our time there and they all looked amazing and everyone looked happy. They seemed to be running very smoothly. So I think everything will work out for the wedding ceremony and you cannot beat the Chapel there - it is gorgeous.
Thank you for this. It makes me feel a little better to know that someone has actually seen a wedding there. I've had a very hard time finding any reviews about weddings in the chapel. It's good to know that you saw a ceremony that was going well. Did you by any chance take photos? I'm curious to at least see the place decorated. I'm going to try to stay positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba1234 View Post
I have to vent because I'm on the verge of tears! I just came back from a weekend trip to Cancun. I'm getting married in the catholic chapel inside the Gran Caribe Real and I really wish I had done this site visit before I put the deposits and confirmed everything. The chapel is beautiful just as pictured in the photos. However the entrance to the chapel is not what I expected... you have to go through a really loud and super busy lobby just to get to the chapel. The path from the lobby to the chapel is very long with a lot of turns so it's easy for guests to get lost. When I asked the coordinator if there would be signs or a staff member guiding guests, she said no.

Then they told me that I only have 30 minutes after the ceremony to take photos. We have to leave after 30 minutes because they have another wedding after mine. When I asked if there was another place to take pictures she said no.

The day of my wedding, I have to enter the chapel through stairs that are to the immediate right of the chapel entrance so the walk down the aisle is VERY short. I can't even imagine how I'll get good pictures walking down the aisle because you literally come down the stairs and you are right inside the chapel.

The coordinator showed me another way to get in the chapel where the walk would be a little longer. That entrance requires that I go through a kids club where there is a pool with games splashing water. Going through that entrance would mean running a risk of getting wet before arriving in the chapel. I asked if they could stop the water games from splashing out water for just 2 or 3 minutes while I walked through there and they said no.

I asked if I could just wait in a kids club room where they have tables and chairs for kids to watch tv and read. I figured I could just hide in there until the guests arrive so that I could have my walk down the long aisle. You guessed it, the answer was no.

I'm also having my rehearsal dinner at the Gran Caribe and I asked the coordinator MONTHS ago if I could have it on the beach. She confirmed in writing but during the site visit she couldn't remember confirming the beach so she insisted that the rehearsal dinner was in another location.

I had to correct her about my ceremony time FOUR times in a matter of 10 minutes. She kep saying the wedding was at 2pm or 4pm even though we have confirmed that it will be a 3pm. I corrected her and literally 5 minutes later she said the wrong time again.

I'm really at my wits end. The most frustrating part is that they are not accomodating or flexible at all. She pushes back on everything I ask for and never provides solutions or alternatives. I've had problems with this resort from the beginning and I just wish I went with my instincts from the beginning.

I'm so stressed out because I have no confidence that these people will do a good job on my wedding day. They are not organized at all, the communication has bee horrible and they are making no effort to accomodate me with anything. I spoke to her manager and she's probably worse than the coordinator - a very arrrogant and unpleasant lady.

My advice to anyone planning a wedding there is to do a site visit before confirming and get everything in writing. I'm really dissapointed and upset. I had such a pleasant experience with everyone else I'm dealing with in Cancun. I'm having my reception at Le Meridien and I thank God for that decision. The Wedding Planner at Le Meridien is the complete opposite of the one at Gran Caribe. She has been a dream to work with - very professional, organized and pleasant. She is making every effort to ensure I have the wedding of my dreams. The reception place is gorgeous and everything exceeded my expectations in every way.

I'm going to try to find a new place for a rehearsal dinner because the fewer events at Gran Caribe the better.

Sorry for the rant but I'm on the verge of tears right now.

I am soo sorry! I am also getting married at the chapel and i am disappointed that the aisle wont be long.....i wanted a decent length aisle to walk down as well. i can only say that i hope everything works out for us and the photographers are pros and can get great shots anyway.. are u using their photographer? i was thinking of booking an outside photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cublica82 View Post
I am soo sorry! I am also getting married at the chapel and i am disappointed that the aisle wont be long.....i wanted a decent length aisle to walk down as well. i can only say that i hope everything works out for us and the photographers are pros and can get great shots anyway.. are u using their photographer? i was thinking of booking an outside photographer

I'm flying in a photographer from the US. I will have to pay the resort a fee just to bring an outside photograher. She is a really great photographer and a pro so if anyone can pull off good shots it's her. When is your wedding?

im so sorry for you, you poor thing. my advice is to try not to worry about those thigns, if you can't change them you can't change them. instead try to think about other area's around you can have photos taken, and that kind of thing.

im sure your wedding will be fabulous, try not to let it bother you.

also, is the hotel owned by a bigger company? it might be worth complainnig to the higher powers that be? maybe?

good luck x

Yeah, I thought about elevating it to higher powers but then I'm concerned about how the wedding coordinator might react - she really has the capability of messing up my wedding day if I piss her off enough. I will definetely complain about the poor service to higher powers AFTER the wedding. I have never experienced such bad service in my life.

I'm not even so bothered by the actual logistics anymore (i.e. walk down the aisle, etc..). What I'm extremely frustrated and angry about is the treatment I've received and how unhelpful they've been. It's like they just don't care.

I've received such personalized service at Le Meridien which is where I'm having my reception, and even at the Gran Melia which is where I blocked room for the guests. Le Meridien & Gran Melia are both top rated resorts and they're client service reflects it. I would never, ever give Gran Caribe Real my business again not even as a guest.

So sorry to hear about your horrible experience! The chapel is also where I want to have our wedding. Who is your wedding coordiniator? Is there a way to request of a different one?

We haven't contact them yet. Since we plan to visit a few places in 1-2 months from now to narrow down the resort. This one has been my top choice, but now that I hear about your experience. I'm worried! They sound so unaccommodating. sad.gif I'm glad you hear that the chapel is still as beautiful as in the pictures though!