Hot Chocolate: What kind do you drink?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 boscobel

boscobel
  • VIP Member
  • 24,213 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

So I'm not really a fan of hot drinks - tea & coffee, etc. But in the winter, I really like an occasional cup of hot chocolate. But I hate the Swiss Miss ones, it's just not very good. I went grocery shopping tonight and the store only had Swiss Miss. I'm thinking there has to be better kinds out there, right? Right? Like when I get a cup of hot chocolate from a fancy place, it's always much better then the SM kind. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good brand? I like it a little heavier or creamier or something, then the SM ends up being.

#2 Laura22610

Laura22610
    • 468 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

Yum! I love hot chocolate! I just got some from Crate & Barrel (seems like a weird place to buy hot chocolate!) and it was really, really good. It was a little bit pricey but totally worth it. They had a few different kinds and I got the "Winter". It has ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and some other spices in it so it is a little different than traditional hot chocolate. The brand is Chuao Chocolatier.

#3 *Karla*

*Karla*
      • 4,854 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

Ghiradelli has nice cocoa, and also E. Guittard from World Market. It is a dutch cocoa that comes in a brown cylinder about 6 inches tall.

#4 jenne

jenne
        • 278 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

I never buy hot chocolate to make at home but I tried something interesting at work today. We have a coffee/cappuccino/hot chocolate machine so I had a hot chocolate and put a candy cane in it that someone gave me so it was like a mint hot chocolate. It was really good!
          Jennifer

#5 vlynnw

vlynnw
          • 6,003 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:36 AM

I never buy hot chocolate, my mom has always made her own mix so I just do the same now it tastes so much better.
            Veronica & Adam - May 6, 2011 - Dreams Tulum

#6 KLC77

KLC77
            • 2,207 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

For boxed hot chocolate I like the Nestle Milk Chocolate one. Its pretty good. I make it with half hot water and half milk to make it a little creamier. I agree SM is not very good, but it was the only brand they had at Stop & Shop the other day, which I thought was weird.
              ~Kelly

Our Awesome Wedding Pics: http://www.delsolpho...ings/kelly&ron/

#7 trance_angelx0x

trance_angelx0x
              • 198 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Mmm if you were in Canada you could get the Tim Horton's hot chocolate, that stuff is creamy and extra sweet. I like the hot chocolate with marshmallows in it, so bad, so bad for you lol

#8 loua4

loua4
                • 397 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi, for boxed stuff from the store I by the Carnation brand, but i love the Tim Hortons hot chocolate (canadian can you tell) yummy!

#9 boscobel

boscobel
                  • VIP Member
                  • 24,213 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'm into flavors, but those sound interesting. I think I'll add a bunch to my Christmas list and see if I get any!
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Laura22610
                    Yum! I love hot chocolate! I just got some from Crate & Barrel (seems like a weird place to buy hot chocolate!) and it was really, really good. It was a little bit pricey but totally worth it. They had a few different kinds and I got the "Winter". It has ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and some other spices in it so it is a little different than traditional hot chocolate. The brand is Chuao Chocolatier.
                    I'm not a fan of Ghiradelli chocolate, too bitter for me, but I'm going to look into E. Guittard too.
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ~Karla~
                    Ghiradelli has nice cocoa, and also E. Guittard from World Market. It is a dutch cocoa that comes in a brown cylinder about 6 inches tall.
                    Interesting. I know that I've drank hot chocolate with liquor in it, I think peppermint schnapps. So that sounds like the same thing, minus the liquor!
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by jenne
                    I never buy hot chocolate to make at home but I tried something interesting at work today. We have a coffee/cappuccino/hot chocolate machine so I had a hot chocolate and put a candy cane in it that someone gave me so it was like a mint hot chocolate. It was really good!
                    Would you share how you make it? I would totally be into making my own if you wouldn't mind sharing. I'd rather do that then purchase any, I just never even thought about it before. Hmmm, off to search for recipes now.
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by vlynnw
                    I never buy hot chocolate, my mom has always made her own mix so I just do the same now it tastes so much better.
                    Oddly, there wasn't even any Nestle in my Giant Supermarket! I was shocked that there was a WHOLE section of just SM. Like WTH?!
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by KLC77
                    For boxed hot chocolate I like the Nestle Milk Chocolate one. Its pretty good. I make it with half hot water and half milk to make it a little creamier. I agree SM is not very good, but it was the only brand they had at Stop & Shop the other day, which I thought was weird.
                    I'm going to look into this Tim Horton one as well. I don't mind testing a few to get to "the" one. And I don't mind paying a bit more for it if it's worth it, since I drink it so infrequently, I want it to be GOOD!
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by trance_angelx0x
                    Mmm if you were in Canada you could get the Tim Horton's hot chocolate, that stuff is creamy and extra sweet. I like the hot chocolate with marshmallows in it, so bad, so bad for you lol
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by loua4
                    Hi, for boxed stuff from the store I by the Carnation brand, but i love the Tim Hortons hot chocolate (canadian can you tell) yummy!

#10 mich999

mich999
                    • 386 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

The best hot chocolate mix is at williams sonoma. It is actually shaved chocolate and it is delicious - you won't be sorry you splurged!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users