Private Beach Cottage or Resort for Honeymoon?

jam8x2

I am booking my honeymoon soon for 5 days on Kauai and I keep going back and forth between beautiful cottages that are steps away from the beach and resorts that offer a multitude of amenities. I am having trouble deciding which I would rather have. Anyone have any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam8x2 View Post
I am booking my honeymoon soon for 5 days on Kauai and I keep going back and forth between beautiful cottages that are steps away from the beach and resorts that offer a multitude of amenities. I am having trouble deciding which I would rather have. Anyone have any thoughts?
which hotel vs. cottages? we did both for our HM on Kauai so i may have some insight for you :)

It just depends on what you two are into. Do you picture you two spending all your days either in bedwink.gif or on the beach? Would you like to have room service available for you if you don't feel like going out? Or are you more comfortable having a kitchen to yourselves so you can make food together and eat in rather then going to a different restaurant every night. A lot of vacation rentals have community pools, or would you like laying by the pool and being able to order drinks and food there?

Obviously the plus of a cottage is you have a ton more privacy. The plus of the resort is having someone there to take care of stuff for you like booking outings and reservations.

Personally I've never been to Kauai but have been to Maui many times and loved having our own place to spread out and get comfortable in. Plus you have to do a little more exploring to go grocery shopping or find restaurants and I loved that because the locals are so friendly.

Just some things to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
which hotel vs. cottages? we did both for our HM on Kauai so i may have some insight for you :)
I haven't narrowed it down yet so any suggestions are welcomed. I am not even sure which part of the island I want to stay at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam8x2 View Post
I haven't narrowed it down yet so any suggestions are welcomed. I am not even sure which part of the island I want to stay at.
ok - well there is a lot of info on here already so i suggest just reading through the threads in the Kauai forum and let me know when youo have specific questions :)

• 4 months later...

I realize this is an older post so I'm not sure if you already found your hotel! We are doing a delayed honeymoon in Kauai and I did a bunch of research on the island. We are staying at the Hyatt which is supposed to be amazing!!! It is sort of pricey though so that depends on your budget for the trip. The island is fairly small but it seems like hotels tend to be scattered on the southern end of the island near Poipu or on the northern part of the island near Princeville. Depending on your comfort level with online booking, Pleasant Holidays has some great deals with airfare, car and flights. I am sure that either way, either hotel or cottage, you can't go wrong! Have a great time!

• 5 months later...

I checked out the Hyatt too and it looks amazing but...a bit out of our budget.  Do you, or anyone else know of any other nice play to stay for our Honeymoon?  We're open to hotels, cottages, or condos as long as it's set at a decent price....less than $250/night...and is a nice place. Thanks!