What I would and wouldn't do again...
Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:08 PM
Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:16 AM
| Originally Posted by lyndsay_h |
This thread is great, so much info and a great time-killer for a friday! Now I feel a lot better about the choices I've made so far. The only thing thats bothering me is our wedding is booked for 7pm (not my choice). We have 5 kids going and they're going to fall asleep on their dinner plates...not to mention all the pictures will be in the dark. Why didn't I realize this before?!
At least you don't have the time change against you... I was in Maui - so it was really killing the kids around 10 and younger. I think they all lasted pretty well until 9 or 9:30 (Maui time, which is much later Central time!) They will be having fun - and will make it later than you expect. But I did run into this problem. I was glad that the restaurant gave them crayons and sheets to color to be honest - it kept them awake and busy until the food came! It was after they were done eating that they all were very tired..
Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:06 AM
I have to say thank you to all of you! I really did read all 56 pgs of this thread, and I have also taken some notes. It delayed me some from getting more posts in, but it was really extremely helpful and worth it!
Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:38 AM
Great tips! Thanks!!
It's funny how we do wish people would say something about things that don't seem right but nobody ever does. LOL
Originally Posted by Stacy015
Would do again
*Destination Wedding - it was perfect! and it makes your wedding seem to last longer
*Use a wedding coordinator - Deanne with Precious Maui Weddings in Maui was great
*Private Location - I really liked having our private area next to the beach instead of sharing the beach with the 2 other brides there and tourists
*Have dinner at Dukes for the reception - it was perfect. I'm really glad we didn't spend thousands of dollars on a private reception. Duke's was very reasonably priced and everyone loved it and the food!
*Skip wedding cake - thanks to comments on this forum I decided not to have a wedding cake. The dessert at the restaurant was amazing and everyone loved it! This was a much cheaper way to go as well!
*Not go overboard on photography - I'm glad I didn't go overboard. Our photographer worked really hard and did a great job, and we didn't spend thousands! We bought the CD of negatives and can order however many pics we want at a good price!
*Not go overboard with flowers - The background was so beautiful.. I'm glad I didn't buy lots of flowers! My bridesmaids carried single flowers, I had a small bouquet, and it was perfect.
*Rehearsal "Dinner" - Husbands parents threw this. It was perfect. They catered in appetizers to their condo for the 40 people who traveled to Maui. Everyone got a chance to meet.
*Rehearsal - Everyone standing was so nervous! I don't think anyone had been in a wedding before and few had even been to one! This really calmed everone's nerves.
Would Have Done Differently
*I would have moved up the reception dinner time- The kids were laying their heads down on the tables by the end.. I felt bad for them.
*I would have tested sitting in my dress for dinner - It was not a comfortable dinner. I loved every second and was not dissapointed. But my dress was pretty tight while eating
*Pulled my bangs back with my hair - It was windy and they kept blowing in my face during pictures!
*Shipped my dress in advance - It was kind of a pain carrying it through the airports.. and I stressed out too much about getting it steamed on the day of my wedding. I could have had it all taken care of in advance..
*Try harder not to stress about mixing families - Nearly the whole week I stressed out too much about my mom's and dad's families mixing. They are seperated and speak to each other only when very necessary. Everything worked out fine (as I should have expected), and it was great being able to spend time with them both on vacation
Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:01 PM
Oh my goodness, I absolutely love this thread!!! Thanks for all you ladies being contributors!! Such valuable information!
Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:52 PM
Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:03 AM
Things I would do again:
- Give out an OOT bag: 1) Including a “Who’s Who” with pictures detailing how we knew every guest in Mexico and 2) Bought bags that were bright colored from www.ewam.com so guest were easily identified around the resort carrying them
- had a core group of DW supporters who deflected a lot of the complaints from guests, family, and people not invited so I did not have to hear all of it - they tell me now and I don't care - but if I had known then, I would have been upset!
- Made my rule – no more than 2 people outside smoking at anytime during the reception – otherwise knowing my friends, the dance floor would have been empty
- Broke my budget using Claudia Rodriguez as my photographer. Her pictures were amazing!
- Organized a catamaran for everyone the day before the wedding and gave our thank you speech then. It gave us all time to hang together on the boat, so I did not feel stressed about having to spend a lot of time with everyone on the wedding day.
- Bought all Bobbi Brown make up before going to Mexico. It was expensive, but it looked flawless all day/night, even in the heat and after dancing.
Things I wish I would have done differently:
- Known that the bride has all the power on her day & used it! For example, I should have told the DJ to change songs when he put on "I like big butts" at 9pm!!!
- Used a DW TA, and not a small, local TA to support small business; she was awful; I should have used a professional and should have shopped around for the best deals. We all paid rack rates, and she was rude to guests and really, really stupid.
- I would have gotten my dress steamed as soon as I got to the resort. I waited too long and they couldn’t do it in time for the wedding.
- I would have spent more time telling certain flaky members of my family exactly how the wedding would work ahead of time, so they would not ask me stupid questions the day of or go back to their room at exactly the time they should have been sitting down and miss us getting introduced and first dance! The schedule in the OOT bag was never read.
- Drink less. I wish I was not as drunk after the wedding reception and could have gone to the beach for the after party. Damned Tequila shots!
Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:10 AM
Love this thread! Thanks for all of your bridal wisdom ladies!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users