What I would do again:
1. Have a destination wedding. It was magical. It was amazing. It was beautiful. It was more than I could have ever imagined. Don't even question it. Just go for it!
2. Treat all of our guests (70 total) to a sunser dinner cruise the night before the wedding. We did this through Aquaworld Aquaworld Cancun's Sightseeing & Attractions , Cancun, Cancun Diving, Diving in Cancun, Cancun Tours, Cancun Fishing,Swim with Dolphins Cancun, Cancun Jungle tour, Cancun Snorkeling, Cancun Hotels
. It was exactly right and everything went perfectly smooth. We had a blast!!
3. Make OOT bags. It was quite a bit of work but all of the guests loved them and we received so many comments from guests about how they really felt welcome and appreciated for their coming to our wedding. That was so great to hear. We didn't go overboard with the OOT bags but we did the iron-on transfer canvas totes with welcome notes, itinerary, personalized map, personalized custom crosswords and word searches, personalized frisbees (although we could have done without these but FI really wanted them) snacks and water.
4. Hire a videographer. Well this was actually a surprise gift from FI's - I guess I should be saying husband now
- grandmother and there was so much that I missed that the videographer captured. I would definitely say get one.
5. Hire Martha Roque to do our photography (she also did the videography). I took a chance on her since I couldn't find any reviews but it was a chance worth taking. She captured out most precious moments and it was like she wasn't there! It was one of our best choices.
6. Have fun!! Don't worry about the small stuff. There were several things that went wrong with our wedding and no matter how prepared you are, that is just the way it goes. Don't get caught up in. The day and weekend was still unbelievable.
What I would have done differently:
1. Stay longer. We went Wednesday to Wednesday (wedding was on a Saturday) but we really needed at least 2 more days but probably more. It all went by so fast but it was a blessing to spend a lot of that time with family and friends.
2. Be adament about using my sand ceremony instead of letting the person do hers. I wasn't clear enough about what I wanted and I ended up liking the sand ceremony the least. Although we had a church ceremony, I also wanted to do a sand ceremony just for symbolic purposes and to take advantage of the beautiful backdrop (ie the ocean). It should have been short and sweet but the "minister" asked if she could do her reading and I said yes. What I didn't know is that she was going to make us read our vows again and exchange rings and it lasted a lot longer than we thought. This was definitely not what I wanted but it was my fault and I am still beating myself up about it but we joke about it. Of course the guests didn't know that it went wrong but my point is to be clear about what you want. Have people repeat things so they understand it and don't assume that they will do it the way you want.
3. Stay at the Fiesta Americana Condesa. They are fabulous at selling the place (it is a gorgeous hotel) but once you are there, they don't really care too much about you. I expected more, a lot more.
Those are the highlights.