Photo

Is destination right for us?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kwaits

kwaits
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

Hi! My name is Kendra and I am recently engaged. we are looking to get married this summer...possiblly August 9, 2010 (8-9-10). I don't want all the drama and stress that comes with a wedding so a destination wedding seems ideal, but I don't know how to make sure the famlies involved are ok with it. any advice?

#2 midnight24

midnight24
    • 754 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:44 AM

just talk to them and let them know your plans before you set a date/book anything. if you let parents be involved and still a part of the process...it shouldn't be a problem. decide what is more important to you...doing the wedding the way you want...or what everyone else wants. just to warn you...everyone has an opinion on how things should be. remember it's your day. good luck and enjoy the process!

#3 *kellis*

*kellis*
      • 330 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:25 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the forum:)

Just some thoughts.
        I think the biggest factor in deciding whether to have one of not from the family angle is, how important is it to you that your family be there? If it is extremely important then you need to find out if your close family is willing and able to travel. Also, a huge thing to consider is if you are counting on your family for financial support. If not and you and FI plan on paying for the wedding, you can decide on wherever you please. If you hope for family support, then it really is dependent on if the involved parties are supportive of the idea of a DW. They can be more cost effective because of the smaller guest list but travel and all that adds up.
        http://davf.daisypath.com/Pw5um7.png
        (Formerly "Future Mrs. Kt Ellis")

I love being a wife!

#4 MomentsThatMatter

MomentsThatMatter
        • Vendor
        • 2,015 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:00 AM

Congratulations Kendra and welcome to the forums! Destination weddings are much happier times because everybody is in vacation mode. I don't know how much less work it is for you! But, most packages include a wedding coordinator to help you along the way.
          Have fun with your planning.
          Lincoln & Lori @ Moments that Matter Photography
          Playa Del Carmen Wedding Photographers - Mexico - Cancun - & Mayan Riviera
          Web: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/
          Blog: http://momentsthatmatterphotography.com/blog/
          http://i711.photobuc....Ad-Sept09b.gif

#5 *Nadine*

*Nadine*
          • 5,466 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:09 PM

Congrats and welcome! Whatever you do, do what you and your fiance want, b/c in the end that is the most important! Good luck planning :)

#6 echo2_62

echo2_62
            • 1,049 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

Part of the (easy) decision for us was that both our families live in separate provinces from where we live so they would all have to travel for our wedding if we'd had a local one. There was no way we'd travel to do separate weddings in each hometown for the families - that's just too much "official" type planning for us!

So we figured that if it was already going to cost each family member around $500-600 dollars to get here, then doubling that cost for a full week vacation wasn't so much to ask. We were lucky that both sides of our family and all our friends knew we wanted a destination wedding, even before we got engaged, so it was just a matter of when and where.

I have to second the comments above though that all this will also depend on how important it is for your family (or other specific guests) to be at your wedding in the first place.

#7 Nuttytart_2kuk

Nuttytart_2kuk
              • 179 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

Welcome, talk to people, however you have to do whats right for you, else you may regret it.

#8 BachataBride

BachataBride
                • Banned
                • 9,310 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by midnight24
                  just talk to them and let them know your plans before you set a date/book anything. if you let parents be involved and still a part of the process...it shouldn't be a problem. decide what is more important to you...doing the wedding the way you want...or what everyone else wants. just to warn you...everyone has an opinion on how things should be. remember it's your day. good luck and enjoy the process!
                  Ditto!

And welcome to the forum. Anything (and I mean ANYTHING!) you need can be found here!!! From opinions on decorations/accessories/etc to moral support when (and I do mean when!) some drama comes up to ideas for just about anything you can think of!!! This is your destination wedding headquarters!!!

#9 *Meagan*

*Meagan*
                  • 5,521 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

hi Kendra! Welcome to the forum! I love your date, its perfect! Our date is 1.23! Very easy for FI to remember! Congrats and best wishes!

#10 Mishka Designs

Mishka Designs
                    • 1,574 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:29 AM

Felicidades and welcome to the forum!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users