Photo

What can you do to the E-ring to freshen it up??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vdaybride

vdaybride
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:27 AM

Hi ladies, I have had my engagement ring for over a year. The setting is platinum and as you know over time, this metal shows scratches and nicks pretty easily. What can you do the the ring (besides a pressure/heat wash) to remove the scratches so that it looks new like the band? Is there a such thing as removing the stones to redip the ring in the metal??
    Married 2-14-2010 Dreams, Los Cabos

#2 SusieQ

SusieQ
    • 1,603 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:22 AM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by vdaybride
      Hi ladies, I have had my engagement ring for over a year. The setting is platinum and as you know over time, this metal shows scratches and nicks pretty easily. What can you do the the ring (besides a pressure/heat wash) to remove the scratches so that it looks new like the band? Is there a such thing as removing the stones to redip the ring in the metal??
      Have your jeweler re-polish it...It will smooth out all the scratches and nicks...

#3 girlkin

girlkin
      • 120 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by vdaybride

Yep take it to your jeweler and they can re-dip/re-coat it for you with the stones or give it a good polishing. They won't have to remove the stones. They recommend that you do this once a year anyway. I know what you mean about "looking new" I wanna get mine done monthy Good luck.

#4 Outdoor_girl1010

Outdoor_girl1010
        • 657 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

I would not have it re-dip yet. I would go with having it polished by a jeweler. It made a world of diff on mine.
          Cory & Jennifer
          March 13, 2010Punta Cana D.R.!!http://i150.photobuc....3/IMG_6740.jpg

#5 shellk

shellk
          • 1,784 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

yes you can take to the jewellers and they replate it for you.its not that expensive either.give it your cousin lol

#6 mc5363

mc5363
            • 315 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

redipping makes the ring look lke new. good luck!

#7 vdaybride

vdaybride
              • 1,412 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by shellk
                yes you can take to the jewellers and they replate it for you.its not that expensive either.give it your cousin lol
                LOL yes, she should take it to Tiffany with her. You are to much. Everytime I see that little mound of blue boxes, I get all giggly. They are having another 50% off event on Dec. 7th, too close to the last purchases though so I don't know if I will hit the Tiffany motherload again. I am considering panhandling for a bit though :) NY pan handlers get PAID if you stand in the right place haha.

THanks ladies!!! I will try repolishing. I completely forgot about that. My last polishing event rubbed off the coating of a pianagonda necklace so I was scared to try it again.

Girlkin... once a month! I am not mad at that, let's keep this oh so important piece of jewelery looking its best!
                Married 2-14-2010 Dreams, Los Cabos

#8 frazali

frazali
                • 245 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

I also have an ultra sonic cleaner at home that I just put my rings into with some dish detergent. They come out really sparkly!

#9 alkoch

alkoch
                  • 515 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:12 PM

Also if you want to do it at home (sometimes I just don't have time or want to drive to a jewelers) Here is a how-to from real simple! I am actually going to do mine today!

How To: Clean a Diamond Ring

#10 kris

kris
                    • 506 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by alkoch
                      Also if you want to do it at home (sometimes I just don't have time or want to drive to a jewelers) Here is a how-to from real simple! I am actually going to do mine today!

How To: Clean a Diamond Ring
                      Thanks for this I am totally going to do this when I get home :) I love when my ring is all sparkly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users