Invitation wording etiquette (Request the honor..._)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 simba1234

• 179 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

So, I just finished my invitations and I'm a little worried because I didn't go with the 'traditional' wording of "{so & so} request the honour of your presence". Instead my invitation says "Because you have shared in our lives, so & so invite you to share in a celebration of love as we exchange our marriage vows".

Is it really bad etiquette to use "invite" instead of "request the honour of your presence..."

I was trying to be a little more laid back and not so formal but now I'm not so sure. Did any one else's invitations say something 'untraditional'?

#2 doblauvelt

• 380 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

Mine reads, "Together with their parents, XXX & XXX invite you to share with them the sun, the sand, and the sea as they become husband and wife on so and so date" and I think it's perfect. It's not "informal" it's just different. Being that we're destination wedding brides, anything is possible.

#3 Debs

• VIP Member
      • 7,104 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

It's a DW so all tradition is thrown out the window! I like your wording.

The world isn't as fussy as it used to be!!

#4 Melidell

• 1,091 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

Most of the information that I found about invitation wording when I was doing mine said that you only need to "request the honour" for a more formal wedding and that different wording sets the tone for a less traditional or less formal event. Mine just said "It is with joy that we, Bride and Groom, invite you to join us at our wedding celebration." For a DW I think a lot of people choose to use something a bit different so I wouldn't stress about it- you're not doing anything wrong at all.
          Loving married life!

#5 carolina24

• 1,573 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

"request the honor" is traditionally used for weddings taking place in a house of worship. Mine says "request the pleasure of your company" b/c we wanted to keep it a bit more formal, but I really like your wording. It sets a really good tone for your wedding.

#6 **~Linda~**

• 1,326 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Naaa ours is really laid back as well!

#7 trobin01

• 203 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

I haven't done my invites yet, but I actually prefer your wording to the more formal way. Just my two-cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users