Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jo&delo2010

Sister in law help!

Recommended Posts

I feel for you completely! Your happy for them obviously, but can't help feeling a little anxious!?

 

To make a long story short my FI has 3 sisters 2 of whom are now prego, 1 of which is in my wedding party. She'll only be about 3 months along, but she is only a month along now and already starting to show. I'm just hoping that she'll fit into her dress, its already as big as it can go! I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't fit... As for his other sister she'll be about 52 weeks along... but at least she is still going. With the new pregnancy and all they said they couldn't afford to go at all, so my FI asked his parents to not get us a wedding gift and help his sister to attend. Her husband is staying home with the other 2 kids and she is joining us with the help of her parents. He loves his family and wants them to all be there, it just sucks that he had to give up them helping us out with some of the cost. But understandable all the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPPEARL View Post
I feel for you completely! Your happy for them obviously, but can't help feeling a little anxious!?

To make a long story short my FI has 3 sisters 2 of whom are now prego, 1 of which is in my wedding party. She'll only be about 3 months along, but she is only a month along now and already starting to show. I'm just hoping that she'll fit into her dress, its already as big as it can go! I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't fit... As for his other sister she'll be about 52 weeks along... but at least she is still going. With the new pregnancy and all they said they couldn't afford to go at all, so my FI asked his parents to not get us a wedding gift and help his sister to attend. Her husband is staying home with the other 2 kids and she is joining us with the help of her parents. He loves his family and wants them to all be there, it just sucks that he had to give up them helping us out with some of the cost. But understandable all the same.
oops - i think that's a typo ... pregnancies are only 40 weeks long! i know some people go overdue, but that seems a bit much! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you've been trying really hard with his sister (maybe a bit too hard, to be honest) and it may be time to take a step back. Why were you the one who was buying her gifts- she's FI's sister and he should be in charge of this and if he doesn't take care of it, it shouldn't get done. Personally, I would hate it if I got a gift from my brother that I knew he had no part in choosing (I'd know- I've know him a long time lol). With her wedding it sounds like you did some really nice things for her but they were a bit over the top- you shouldn't feel like you have to buy her stuff to get her to like you. I can only speak from my own perspective as a sister but if my brother was seeing someone who was that worried about me liking her- well, I'd like her a bit less because I hate feeling pressured and part of me would wonder why she was trying so hard.

 

As for the pregnancy, it has nothing to do with you so why take it personally? At the end of the day she has her life and you have yours- forget about her and what she's doing and focus on the great things that are happening for you right now. I agree with what a lot of other posters have said: it is not a contest, you are two different people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melidell View Post
It sounds like you've been trying really hard with his sister (maybe a bit too hard, to be honest) and it may be time to take a step back. Why were you the one who was buying her gifts- she's FI's sister and he should be in charge of this and if he doesn't take care of it, it shouldn't get done. Personally, I would hate it if I got a gift from my brother that I knew he had no part in choosing (I'd know- I've know him a long time lol). With her wedding it sounds like you did some really nice things for her but they were a bit over the top- you shouldn't feel like you have to buy her stuff to get her to like you. I can only speak from my own perspective as a sister but if my brother was seeing someone who was that worried about me liking her- well, I'd like her a bit less because I hate feeling pressured and part of me would wonder why she was trying so hard.

As for the pregnancy, it has nothing to do with you so why take it personally? At the end of the day she has her life and you have yours- forget about her and what she's doing and focus on the great things that are happening for you right now. I agree with what a lot of other posters have said: it is not a contest, you are two different people.
He warned me from the beg. that he was more afraid for me to meet her then his parents..lol I like to do things for other people but with her I might have done 2 much, now that I look back. At the time my heart was in the right place and I thought I was doing the right thing. I felt bad that her girl friends/bridesmaids didnt do much for her so I guess I stepped in and did 2 much. Now I see why she doesnt have girl friends except ones who live in different states.

I am trying hard to focus on the positive and I think this thread has helped me a lot :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPPEARL View Post
I feel for you completely! Your happy for them obviously, but can't help feeling a little anxious!?

To make a long story short my FI has 3 sisters 2 of whom are now prego, 1 of which is in my wedding party. She'll only be about 3 months along, but she is only a month along now and already starting to show. I'm just hoping that she'll fit into her dress, its already as big as it can go! I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't fit... As for his other sister she'll be about 52 weeks along... but at least she is still going. With the new pregnancy and all they said they couldn't afford to go at all, so my FI asked his parents to not get us a wedding gift and help his sister to attend. Her husband is staying home with the other 2 kids and she is joining us with the help of her parents. He loves his family and wants them to all be there, it just sucks that he had to give up them helping us out with some of the cost. But understandable all the same.
Wow that is really nice of your FI and yourself to give up your gift to help his sister come to the wedding. Destination weddings can be very $$$ for the guests to attend. I hope you have a wonderful and beautiful wedding!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR View Post
oops - i think that's a typo ... pregnancies are only 40 weeks long! i know some people go overdue, but that seems a bit much! lol
Opps I quess I ment 32... but I think its more like 35... anyway she's very prego...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo&delo2010 View Post
Wow that is really nice of your FI and yourself to give up your gift to help his sister come to the wedding. Destination weddings can be very $$$ for the guests to attend. I hope you have a wonderful and beautiful wedding!
It is his sister.... she should be there.... I guess I should have mentioned she's only 22 and is on her third child (4 if you count her husbandâ€s with another woman) this is why they are so financially strapped. They have this crazy idea that the more kids they have eventually the kids will be paying for them and make them money!!! I wouldnâ€t begrudge his if they werenâ€t so far off in their thinking... Oh well he loves her anyway and really wants her there so I guess our "gift" is essentially having her there, thought the financial help would have been nice also... Needless to say I do sympathize with this situation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPPEARL View Post
It is his sister.... she should be there.... I guess I should have mentioned she's only 22 and is on her third child (4 if you count her husbandâ€s with another woman) this is why they are so financially strapped. They have this crazy idea that the more kids they have eventually the kids will be paying for them and make them money!!! I wouldnâ€t begrudge his if they werenâ€t so far off in their thinking... Oh well he loves her anyway and really wants her there so I guess our "gift" is essentially having her there, thought the financial help would have been nice also... Needless to say I do sympathize with this situation!
My in laws have been telling their friends the reason why my FI dad got a job (he's retired) is because of our wedding...lol They failed to mention that before he retired they gave their daughter a 50k wedding, are going on a $1500 a night cruise the month before our wedding...lol I could start a new thread just on them...lol They are really nice people and I do like them a lot regardless of their quirks, but hey Im not perfect either ; )

I so wish my mom was gonna be here for my wedding..I truly believe if she was I wouldnt care so much about his sisters situation or his families. My family only consists of my sister and dad...so I look for that attention in his family and from his mom. I even lived with them for about 6 months before we bought our house, needless to say i think that made things worse with SIL. She would always say, why are you making that (food dish) for jo? She would look at me and say, do you know how long that takes to make? I think it bothers her that I am in the same city with her parents and she had to move a couple of hours away.

You never know what you truly have until you loose it! So when I hear my FI say something, or talk back to his mom..I tell him, be happy you have her even if she annoys you. One day you will miss her annoying ways!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo&delo2010 View Post
My in laws have been telling their friends the reason why my FI dad got a job (he's retired) is because of our wedding...lol They failed to mention that before he retired they gave their daughter a 50k wedding, are going on a $1500 a night cruise the month before our wedding...lol I could start a new thread just on them...lol They are really nice people and I do like them a lot regardless of their quirks, but hey Im not perfect either ; )

I so wish my mom was gonna be here for my wedding..I truly believe if she was I wouldnt care so much about his sisters situation or his families. My family only consists of my sister and dad...so I look for that attention in his family and from his mom. I even lived with them for about 6 months before we bought our house, needless to say i think that made things worse with SIL. She would always say, why are you making that (food dish) for jo? She would look at me and say, do you know how long that takes to make? I think it bothers her that I am in the same city with her parents and she had to move a couple of hours away.

You never know what you truly have until you loose it! So when I hear my FI say something, or talk back to his mom..I tell him, be happy you have her even if she annoys you. One day you will miss her annoying ways!
I know exactly what you are talking about and dealing with. I have my dad, sister and brother. My brother has his own life with his wife and son and my sister has my niece. I also live with my FMIL. We are doing it to save money as well. You never know what life is like without your mom until it happens, and it cant be worse. Life is never the same and there is never a normal. There is just a new normal that you absolutely dread on a day to day basis. Sorry this is so depressing. Having a rough day. My fiance and his mom argue all the time and I say the same thing. It is life changing when you lose your mom. Planning your wedding would be different if she was here, I know and understand. We have to deal with what life has dealt us no matter how hard it is. We just have to lean on the people we can (your fiance) and plan a wedding our moms would dream of us having.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishgirlinNY View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about and dealing with. I have my dad, sister and brother. My brother has his own life with his wife and son and my sister has my niece. I also live with my FMIL. We are doing it to save money as well. You never know what life is like without your mom until it happens, and it cant be worse. Life is never the same and there is never a normal. There is just a new normal that you absolutely dread on a day to day basis. Sorry this is so depressing. Having a rough day. My fiance and his mom argue all the time and I say the same thing. It is life changing when you lose your mom. Planning your wedding would be different if she was here, I know and understand. We have to deal with what life has dealt us no matter how hard it is. We just have to lean on the people we can (your fiance) and plan a wedding our moms would dream of us having.
I think our moms will be so happy for us on our wedding day! I know they will be watching from above!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • After the wedding, the wedding dress purchased at a high price can be kept in the wardrobe, or it can be sold as a second-hand wedding dress for some cash. If you're in the market to sell your wedding dress or looking to buy a used one, you may be tempted to turn to large online marketplaces like Ebay and Craigslist. While these popular websites are great for listing and buying everyday purchases, a website specifically for used wedding dresses can probably offer you a better deal and a more user-friendly service for this very niche (and important) wedding day purchase.  Tips for Selling Used Wedding Dresses
      Whether you aren't the sentimental type or you're just savvy, selling your used wedding dress is an easy way to recoup some money from your wedding. If your dress is in good condition, consider listing it online over selling it to a thrift store, where your listing will reach a greater volume of potential buyers and can be more easily shared and promoted. A used wedding dress in great condition and under two years old can usually sell for 50 percent of the retail price. And, if your dress is a more recognizable brand like Oscar de la Renta or Vera Wang, you could make closer to 60 percent of its retail value. Even if your gown isn't designer, don't give up hope—since there's a large demand for all kinds of second hand wedding dresses, a designer label doesn't necessarily mean your dress will sell faster. Not to mention, mermaid dresses are also in high demand, so you shouldn't worry if you're not a sample size. Tips for Buying Used Wedding Dresses
      Buying a used wedding dress can be a bit of a gamble, but as long you're cautious, it's a thrifty way to snag a designer wedding dress for half the retail value. Plus, if you get lucky and buy a wedding dress from someone with a similar body type, you may not have to make too many alterations, which also cuts down on your costs. As long as the gown you found looks to be in good condition (if you can't see it in person, make sure photos show it clearly from all angles or ask to Skype with the seller to get a better look), a used wedding gown can be a terrific deal. A few tips: Since your dress will have to be custom-tailored to your body regardless, a larger size is easier to work with where alterations are concerned. Fabric can always be subtracted, but adding more fabric that perfectly matches the rest of the gown can be difficult (not to mention expensive!). And because you're getting the wedding dress for a steal, you can put some of the money you save toward making sure it fits like a glove (and some extra dry-cleaning if necessary).
    • When brides takes off her wedding dress and begins her marriage life,the first problem after wedding is to modify her name. You have a marriage license with your new last name, doesn't mean you've officially changed your name. Which aspects should be paid attention to to change the surname?
      1. Get your marriage license.
      Before you can change your name, you'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal. Call the clerk's office where your license was filed to get copies if one wasn't automatically sent to you. 2. Change your Social Security card.
      Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You'll keep the same number—just your name will be different. Mail in your application to the local Social Security Administration office. You should get your new card within 10 business days. 3. Change your license at the DMV.
      Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification you can get your hands on—your old license, your certified marriage certificate and, most importantly, your new Social Security card. 4. Change your bank accounts.
      This one's a biggie, especially if you're setting up a joint bank account, or if you have one already set up. The fastest way to change your name at your bank is to go into a branch location, bringing your new driver's license and your marriage certificate. You should request new checks and debit and credit cards on top of changing the name attached to your accounts. Something to note: You might get hit with fees for requesting a new debit card. 5. Fill in the blanks
      Once you have a social security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify: -Employers/payroll
      -Post office
      -Electric and other utility companies
      -Credit card companies
      -Schools and alumni associations
      -Landlord or mortgage company
      -Insurance companies (auto, home, life)
      -Doctors' offices
      -Voter registration office
      -Investment account providers
      -Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will)
      -Passport office
      -Airlines (to transfer over your miles)
    • Planning to get married? Let’s discover some great wedding venues in Bangalore. The increasing demand for the wedding venues in Bangalore makes it very difficult for both the bride’s and groom’s family to get hold of a marriage hall that is suitable for the marriage. As they say, marriages have to be organized in a grand fashion. The atmosphere and the ambiance of a wedding make it memorable for a lifetime. Though there are a plenty of wedding venues in Bangalore, there is only a handful of them that are really good, Offering the best possible experience.  Some of the most popular wedding venues in Bangalore are: THE TAMARIND TREE: Tamarind Tree has the old world charm. This is one of the best wedding venues in Bangalore that boast about its eco-friendly surrounding. Built in the middle of a few acres of garden filled with lush greenery and trees, which also includes the tamarind tree after which it was named, a pond, a stage for the band, classic looking pavilions for the guests to sit, and a lot of spaces around the area. The premise has two large kitchens with a very special fully stocked bar and a lot of space where the guests can dine comfortably. The place can accommodate up to 1000 guests. Customer Reviews : Address: 88, Kanakapura road, Anjanapura post, Avalahalli, Royal Park residency layout 2, 9th phase. JP Nagar, Bangalore 560062 THE COURTYARD HOUSE: The courtyard house is located off Sarjapur Road, the premise is a unique and unconventional property suited for various events, namely weddings. The outdoor space of courtyard house draws in people looking to get away from the traffic and noise in the city, well within the city limits. The green grass and tall trees make for great photographic backdrops making it popular for wedding events. Customer Reviews : Address: Janatha Colony, Gunjur Palya, Bengaluru 560087 RITZ-CARLTON:   The Ritz-Carlton has over 277 spacious rooms and suites and is one of the most luxurious hotels in Bangalore. Seven luxurious restaurants, the Ritz-Carlton spa, and tastefully appointed meeting spaces make it ideal to host marriage occasions. Customer Reviews : Address: 99, Residency Road, Shanthala Nagar, Ashok Nagar, Bengaluru 560025 BALAN FARM CONVENTION CENTER: Balan farm is a green, wooded island of peace and serenity nestled quietly in the busy rapidly developing JP Nagar. Neighboring the Brigade Millenium Apartments and L&T South city it spreads across two acres of an old orchard retaining the ancient fruit-bearing trees and landscaped gardens. Balan Farm convention center JP Nagar has over 10,000 sq ft of the tiled canopy without any walls blocking and it makes for a really good view. Customer Reviews : Address: 99/4, Nataraja Layout, JP Nagar 7th Phase, Bengaluru 560078 HYATT MG ROAD: Hyatt a 5 Star hotels in Bangalore is located on MG Road. The guest rooms are colorful with a great view of the city, this makes it an ideal place for private ceremonies with 2300 sq ft of meeting and event space. The Hyatt MG road, Bangalore also has restaurants like the Pink Poppadom, Liquid Lounge, and Bar. Customer Reviews : Address: 1/1, Swami Vivekananda Road, Someshwarpura, Ulsoor, Bengaluru 560008 BUNGALOW 7 Bungalow7 offers a unique setting for a wedding, pre-wedding and post-wedding functions. The place hosts a variety of public and private events all within a stunning heritage setting of central Bangalore. Customer Reviews : Address: 7, Hall Road, Richards Town, Bengaluru 560005 GAYATRI VIHAR MANTAPA: Gayatri Vihar is one of the most luxurious wedding halls situated on Palace ground. It boasts of a massive one lakh sq ft area which can easily accommodate up to 5000 guests. The ambiance of the place makes it ideal for community gatherings and private parties. Customer Reviews : Address: Jayamahal Palace Ground, Bengaluru 560080
    • My best friend is getting married with his long-term girlfriend next month. As a best friend, I want to give them the best present they would ever receive on their special day. I am planning to buy them plane tickets and book them for a one week trip abroad. However, I am torn between Ukraine ski trip and a tour to Lima, Peru. My best friend loves skiing and his future wife is a chef, so I presume she would want to experience a Peruvian taste. Now, I am confused. Which is which? I would appreciate it if you guys will leave a comment to help me out with this. Suggesting a way better idea which will accommodate the two activities for the soon-to-be wedded couple is a big help too. Thanks!    
    • Hello all!! I'm getting married next week. Every arrangement has been done by my sister for my special day. When I joined in an MNC I was troubled with severe headaches and as per my colleague's instruction, I took an appointment in a nearby eye clinic. And after an eye examination in Toronto, the eye specialist diagnosed hypermetropia in me. And the doctor prescribed eyeglasses for me. The doctor suggested me to wear eyeglasses during the working time. But I used to wear it sometimes not every day. Then I was troubled with severe eye strain and headache and mom was scolding me to wear eyeglasses every day. I thought of saying goodbye to eyeglasses forever. I'm planning for a Lasik eye surgery soon before my marriage. I don't know whether I'm eligible for Lasik eye surgery. I'm tensed about its recovery time and its complications. Can someone help me by sharing your views?  
  • Topics

×