Photo

Glass Etching

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kat_mc13

kat_mc13
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

So I bought these really nice wine glasses and I wanted to do glass etching on the base to personalize them for part of my bridemaid gifts. I was planning to use painters tape and cut out the letters from it and sort of use that as a template to put the etching cream on.

I'm a little worried because I'm not sure how to cut out the letters nicely, should I try and print out nice letters and then use an exacto knife to cut out the shapes? Or if the whole tape thing not what I should be doing in the first place?

Has anyone done this before or have any ideas?

Thanks!

#2 *Linds*

*Linds*
    • 5,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

I have never tried this! Its a really cute idea though!
      Loving married life! <3

#3 *Linds*

*Linds*
      • 5,776 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

PS- I LOVE your monogram!
        Loving married life! <3

#4 JessicaANDJermaine

JessicaANDJermaine
        • 216 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

I would say try to get a stencil of the alphabet from miachaels or walmart and use that....however i have never tried this before. I'm thinking you can use the stencil (maybe even with a marker) and then paint over it?
          Jessica

#5 kat_mc13

kat_mc13
          • 67 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:18 AM

haha thanks sammy's girl, I used word clip art and shapes to make it :)

#6 kat_mc13

kat_mc13
            • 67 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by JessicaANDJermaine
              I would say try to get a stencil of the alphabet from miachaels or walmart and use that....however i have never tried this before. I'm thinking you can use the stencil (maybe even with a marker) and then paint over it?
              hmm yeah that would probably work if I can get small enough letters, I guess I would have to do the letters one at a time then. I'll try and take a look this weekend and see what I can find

#7 crazykat

crazykat
              • 48 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:51 PM

I tried to to the glass etching myself with the bought stensils from Michaels. After all said and done I kind of wish I got a professional to do the etching, it just took 3/4 of my day and didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it too. The etching was really light and hard to see, and I follow the directions and even left the glass etching cream on longer then it said. Also you only get one chance at it so if you screw up I think you are pretty much out of luck. Sorry to freak you out, just thought I would let you know my experience with the etching.

#8 budgetjamaicabride

budgetjamaicabride
                • 516 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:39 PM

My recommendation for DIY etching if you want to do it on the base is to let the letters be the part that is left and etch the rest... this way, you can print what you want to etch and then trace it on clear contact paper. Cut it out with an exacto knife and stick it on. Then etch the entire base.

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users