Sign in to follow this  
SASSYGIRL

Wedding Dress Bargins???

Let me first start by saying that I know this might not be polite to ask but you are all like family so anything goes....I am wondering what you all have paid for your amazing gowns.

I am waiting to shop until I have lost some more weight (I can totally relate to the other thread on this topic!) I would like to know what the average cost is running for a wedding dress. I can't imagine spending thousands on a dress - I know that some brides do but for me I have to stay conservative!

Any tips on where to get a "deal" on a dress. I would even be open to purchasing one that has been previously worn as long as it is in good condition. I remember on the news sometimes I see about designer sales where the women wait outside for hours and then trample each other when the doors open. Does anyone know where this happens or when? I live in Southern California and would be interested in participating in this crazy event if it means I can get a rockin' dress for cheap!

I bought mine on ebay. It's Monique Lhuillier and I paid a little over $200.

I recommend getting an idea of what you like and then looking from there. ebay, and preownedweddingdresses.com are good places to start. I am in SoCal also, and last December Saks at SouthCoast had an awesome sample sale. All of their super high-end designer gowns were 70-80% off. I came really close to buying a $10k Vera Wang gown for $2k.

I am your kinda girl! I got my dress from www.netbride.com for $530. It retailed in the store for ~$800. It even came early!

I picked it out in the salon, and then went home and got a quote from several online retailers. Netbride was the cheapest.

They don't carry all designers, but they do carry Casablanca. Just go to a boutique that carries Casablanca and try some on. They were some of my favorite dresses and I think they look more expensive than they actually are.

Where do you live?? I also live in Southern Cal...Newport beach to be exact. I bought my dress at David's Bridal. It was $599.00. The great thing about it is that they allow up to one exchange if you need a different size or change your mind and want a different style. I took advantage and exchanged mine for a different style. Sometimes if you buy too early, your taste changes, whixh is what happend to me.

I would recommend getting it altered elswhere though. The ream you on alterations.

If you fall in love with a designer gown, buy it online and get it altered at this great place I found. It is called Wedding Belles in Costa Mesa, CA. It is a woman who works out of her home and makes dresses. She copies designer gowns all of the time. If you have a dress made, you have to remember that the cost of alterations is included in the price. If you buy it retail or online, you have to remember to add $200 - $400 for alterations depending on what you need.

I don't know how to attach a picture or I would post mine. Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBECCA View Post
I don't know how to attach a picture or I would post mine. Sorry
rebecca,

to insert pic, go to "My Photos" under the smilie box and upload your pic there
  • Like 1

I'm kinda in the same boat as you Sarah. I'm having a little trouble actually finding a dress that I like, so I've started looking online (I know, a little scary). Nabumbah recommended some great sites and since I'm an ebay freak I found this pretty cool dressmaker who looks like she makes some pretty good knockoffs. If you search for a specific dress on ebay (I searched for Priscilla of Boston) you might get the link to her ebay store.

Here is the Priscilla of Boston gown I love (2902), it's like $5000+

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the knockoff ($650)

Click the image to open in full size.

I purchased my dress for $900.00 but talked them into giving me a discount for 15% off, BUT I had to have a hollow hem done so it added to the price of my dress,, over all my dress was a grand and I still need to get it altered.

Sarah I love that dress, very pretty... (the knockoff one, I would NEVER spend 5 grand on a dress I wear once)