Photo

Wedding Dress Bargins???

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 SASSYGIRL

SASSYGIRL
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

Let me first start by saying that I know this might not be polite to ask but you are all like family so anything goes....I am wondering what you all have paid for your amazing gowns.

I am waiting to shop until I have lost some more weight (I can totally relate to the other thread on this topic!) I would like to know what the average cost is running for a wedding dress. I can't imagine spending thousands on a dress - I know that some brides do but for me I have to stay conservative!

Any tips on where to get a "deal" on a dress. I would even be open to purchasing one that has been previously worn as long as it is in good condition. I remember on the news sometimes I see about designer sales where the women wait outside for hours and then trample each other when the doors open. Does anyone know where this happens or when? I live in Southern California and would be interested in participating in this crazy event if it means I can get a rockin' dress for cheap!
    Sarah's little girl-Isabella Nicole-10/31/08
    http://i83.photobuck....sabella034.jpg

#2 SASSYGIRL

SASSYGIRL
    • 1,188 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

THAT SOUNDS MORE MY STYLE!!!! But now I need to see a closer picture of it...where can I see a good shot of your dress?
      Sarah's little girl-Isabella Nicole-10/31/08
      http://i83.photobuck....sabella034.jpg

#3 NABUMBAH

NABUMBAH
      • VIP Member
      • 931 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

I bought mine on ebay. It's Monique Lhuillier and I paid a little over $200.

I recommend getting an idea of what you like and then looking from there. ebay, and preownedweddingdresses.com are good places to start. I am in SoCal also, and last December Saks at SouthCoast had an awesome sample sale. All of their super high-end designer gowns were 70-80% off. I came really close to buying a $10k Vera Wang gown for $2k.

#4 Janet

Janet
        • VIP Member
        • 7,459 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

I am your kinda girl! I got my dress from www.netbride.com for $530. It retailed in the store for ~$800. It even came early!

I picked it out in the salon, and then went home and got a quote from several online retailers. Netbride was the cheapest.

They don't carry all designers, but they do carry Casablanca. Just go to a boutique that carries Casablanca and try some on. They were some of my favorite dresses and I think they look more expensive than they actually are.

#5 REBECCA

REBECCA
          • VIP Member
          • 1,825 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

Where do you live?? I also live in Southern Cal...Newport beach to be exact. I bought my dress at David's Bridal. It was $599.00. The great thing about it is that they allow up to one exchange if you need a different size or change your mind and want a different style. I took advantage and exchanged mine for a different style. Sometimes if you buy too early, your taste changes, whixh is what happend to me.

I would recommend getting it altered elswhere though. The ream you on alterations.

If you fall in love with a designer gown, buy it online and get it altered at this great place I found. It is called Wedding Belles in Costa Mesa, CA. It is a woman who works out of her home and makes dresses. She copies designer gowns all of the time. If you have a dress made, you have to remember that the cost of alterations is included in the price. If you buy it retail or online, you have to remember to add $200 - $400 for alterations depending on what you need.

I don't know how to attach a picture or I would post mine. Sorry
            Rebecca
            <center>

http://i54.photobuck....a/IMG_1294.jpg
            Alexander & Juliette - Born 3/15/09</center>

#6 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
            • 11,659 posts
            • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by REBECCA
            I don't know how to attach a picture or I would post mine. Sorry
            rebecca,

to insert pic, go to "My Photos" under the smilie box and upload your pic there

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
            Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
            Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
            Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
            sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
            Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#7 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 6,996 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat as you Sarah. I'm having a little trouble actually finding a dress that I like, so I've started looking online (I know, a little scary). Nabumbah recommended some great sites and since I'm an ebay freak I found this pretty cool dressmaker who looks like she makes some pretty good knockoffs. If you search for a specific dress on ebay (I searched for Priscilla of Boston) you might get the link to her ebay store.

Here is the Priscilla of Boston gown I love (2902), it's like $5000+
              Click the image to open in full size.

Here is the knockoff ($650)
              Click the image to open in full size.

#8 TammyB

TammyB
              • 10,630 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:28 PM

I purchased my dress for $900.00 but talked them into giving me a discount for 15% off, BUT I had to have a hollow hem done so it added to the price of my dress,, over all my dress was a grand and I still need to get it altered.

#9 REBECCA

REBECCA
                • VIP Member
                • 1,825 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

I just figured out how to attach a file. Here goes. These might be gigantic!
                  Rebecca
                  <center>

http://i54.photobuck....a/IMG_1294.jpg
                  Alexander & Juliette - Born 3/15/09</center>

#10 TammyB

TammyB
                  • 10,630 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:29 PM

Sarah I love that dress, very pretty... (the knockoff one, I would NEVER spend 5 grand on a dress I wear once)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users