Biggest Destination Wedding Stress factor - what's yours?

I Have about 40 days until we get married at moon palace cancun! Nobody RSVP and his own parents didnt book their trip when they were supposed 2. People are still dropping like flys and finally getting the balls to say they cant come when the RSVP date was feb 1.

Like I told my hubby to be - everyone has known about this wedding for over a year and if they really wanted to go they would have saved. So it must not have been that important to them.

I'm still in the planning phase, so it could get better or worse from here....but I would have to say that choosing a resort has been the biggest stress. I focused too much on the guests and not enough on US! I've since come to my senses and are focusing more on what we want......the second biggest stress at the moment is getting our TA to respond to us in a timely manner. We had to dump our first one when she went MIA for 2 weeks. We're too far into it now to try to find another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo&delo2010 View Post
I Have about 40 days until we get married at moon palace cancun! Nobody RSVP and his own parents didnt book their trip when they were supposed 2. People are still dropping like flys and finally getting the balls to say they cant come when the RSVP date was feb 1.

Like I told my hubby to be - everyone has known about this wedding for over a year and if they really wanted to go they would have saved. So it must not have been that important to them.
Similar stuff happened to me and has happened to many of us on this forum. Just know that people tend not to be planners and on top of things. This whole planning process for me has taught me a lot about people, good and bad since we've been engaged for 2 years and people haven known about this for about a year and a half or more. People procrastinate and can't think with planning for something in advance... I wouldn't take it too personally, just know your wedding will be amazing and you won't even notice anyones gone the day of.

i haven't had any major stresses...just a few minor ones that have mostly been resolved

i think if you are planning a DW you have to keep a few important things in mind:

-know what you want before you tell everyone your plans

-tell your immediate family your plans right away to make sure they are ok with this descision

-keep the wedding party small, less hassles

-estimate a budget and what you are willing to go over budget to stay on track

-figure out a destination & price you are comfortable having your guests pay, if you don't agree with the 'group rates', don't use it and tell guests the reason why and get them to book on their own trips

-don't stress about who is & isn't coming, invite everyone you want there and hope for the best (we told ourselves this from the get go so we wouldn't be upset when people backed out...cuz they will)

-remember why you are doing a DW...because it is beautiful, romantic, fun and simple

but with all that said these are the things that caused me/us minor stress:

-the comments from everyone telling us what they think we should be doing for OUR wedding

-the wedding party, we offered to pay for their outfits and a couple people have made this difficult (with being picky, not responding with sizes, and buying something that is not appropriate)

-issue with my wedding dress being shortened to much...but i found some flat sandals that will work and they stretched the material to lengthen it 3/4 inch

-expenses we did not expect or think of

but for the most part with 47 days to go...things are going smoothly and i'm excited for the big day! we did not use a group rate quote and i'm so glad we didn't because it was $300-600 more per person to go and guests that have booked have found much better prices. plus we didn't have to put down non-refundable deposits for people as at least 10 people who said they were coming for sure have backed out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm getting married in May in Mexico an I am concerned about the recent shootings and crime in Mexico. Anyone else nervous to travel to Mexico or am I just over reacting? We will be in the Riviera Maya area. I'm also worried if it is safe to take the tours or should we just stay at the resort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie22 View Post
Hello,
I'm getting married in May in Mexico an I am concerned about the recent shootings and crime in Mexico. Anyone else nervous to travel to Mexico or am I just over reacting? We will be in the Riviera Maya area. I'm also worried if it is safe to take the tours or should we just stay at the resort?
it is sad about the crime happening yes. but just be realistic about your safety when you travel. keep the same rules when you are at home. you don't go to the bad areas, you don't go out alone at night, don't wear flashy jewellery, don't get into fights with strangers, if you drink alcohol in public keep it to a minimum or make sure you have someone who will be responsible for your well-being/safety to get you back to your room.

crime happens everyday in every city, and every country. the media is all over this story...remember h1n1 last year.

as for tours...book through the resort or your on site travel agent as they keep track of guests better than if you go off and book something on your own. also if you take a cab from your resort most of them will write down your name, room number, cab number and where you are planning on going to keep track of you as well and you check in when you get back. but if you don't feel comfortable with that...nothing wrong with relaxing at the resort.

My biggest stressor is getting my WC to email me back! I'm way to laid back about all of this.

I am also stressed about getting FI to make little decisions - I seem to want to do a lot more OOT planning than he does. I keep getting "why do we need to buy stuff for people?" It's not a deal breaker, but he may wind up with a black eye in pictures! JUST KIDDING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo&delo2010 View Post

Oh NO!!!! I'm so frustrated for you!!!

I'm with you- if they really wanted to be there, they would have made the effort. Screw that - no need to worry about it as long as the most important ppl to you are there.

what.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie22 View Post
Hello,
I agree TOTALLY with Midnight24- just make sure you take precautions. My grandparents are nervous about the same thing, and I told them (they live in Denver, CO), 'would you tell people it's not safe to travel to Denver because of an outbreak of gang violence in East LA?'
The media is all over the crime in the border towns, and they are 1,400 miles away from Playa (where I'm getting hitched). But again, As Midnight said, there is crime everywhere... we defnitely don't hear it all, just the big stuff that they want to give huge attention to.