Travelling with infant/baby

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on travelling with an infant.

From what we understand, the baby has to be in the parents lap during the flights (if a seat wasn't purchased) and this is the case here. But what about during the shuttle from the airport to the resort? Is a car seat allowed? Since we are flying into Punta Cana then taking ground transportation from the airport to La Romana, I am concerned with this. Does anyone know?

Any advice for travelling with babies will be helpful and that's from advice for on the plane and once you're at the resort.

Thanks!

I travel with my kids and have by plane before and yes, when they are under 2 (I believe) you can avoid a ticket purchase but they must ride in your lap during the flight. (Unless there happens to be an empty seat nearby and then you can get away with using it without paying for it).

As for the ground transportation, I would carry-on a car seat on the plane. They do not count it towards your carry-on and they simply check it at the door like a stroller (which I also would recommend bringing) and then you get it back when you land. Or you can check it with your luggage. I would use a car seat in the Van if it were me.

Extra tip, if you haven't flown with an infant, you will need to bring a bottle, or something for him/her to suck on during take off to avoid build up of presure in their ears. They will cry like mad if you don't!

Hope this helps.

I would definitely second the comment about checking your car-seat only when you get on the plane but NOT when you check your luggage. My sisters car seat was "lost" on a flight, which thankfully was local and not somewhere like Mexico or Cuba etc. The airline told her to "just head on home to your destination and we'll call you". Umm excuse me, how do you travel with an infant and no car seat?!?!? Anyways, you get the point I'm sure :)

Also, depending who your transport is with from the airport to the hotel, you may also want to contact them ahead of time and let them know you are travelling with an infant in a car seat. I don't know for sure, but my concern is that if you didn't book your baby a seat on the plane, then they may not include the baby in their overall count on the bus... which would mean driving from the airport to your resort in La Romana with the baby and/or the car seat on your lap. And I don't think that would be terribly comfortable for you or safe for either of you.

Also, for your flight if you're able to pre-book your seats then sometimes requesting one window seat and one aisle seat can help you secure the middle seat for the baby. And if you end up with a fully booked flight and someone in the seat between you and FI then I'm sure that person would be more than willing to switch with one of you so that you can sit together and aren't passing baby back and forth the entire flight :)

If you need any more clarification about what allowances you have for the baby then you can contact your airline specifically to double check.

And remember that DR probably has very different rules about infants and car seats so make sure that you do whatever makes you feel safe for you and your baby.

Thanks Meghan. I'm asking all of this for my sister's baby. We are not paying for a seat on Air Canada (our so called "travel agent" didn't even give us the option!). We are concerned with having to hold the baby on the bus/van/car once we are in the DR. We are scheduled to arrive at 8pm and then have a 2 hour ride from Punta Cana airport to our resort in La Romana! I have read how unsafe the road is and I'm just concerned about the baby, especially since we'll be riding at night!

Great tip to "check" the car seat when we get on the plane! I don't even know who will be providing transportation from the airport for me to contact them directly and when I asked the agent, all she said was that "I'm sure if the shuttle isn't full, people won't mind a car seat - but usually they are full". As a TA, shouldn't she find outhuh.gif I might just email Air Canada directly once we are paid for in full. She has not been any help in this planning since the beginning. Anyway....

Thanks! :)

I visited Punta Cana in April of 09 Please make sure you take the baby’s car sear for the transfers! They drive crazy down there very similar to Mexico, when I was in Mexico 2 years ago I witnessed a terrible accident both vehicles that crashed were coming from the airport, when I get in the transfer buses/vans I wish I could have a car seat!